• Published 15th May 2013
  • 883 Views, 16 Comments

A Mockery of Life - Farseer



What am I? I am a friend of a pony named Lemon Hearts, a well-known unicorn. But her rivals are out for her, and for me... can I help her through?

  • ...
0
 16
 883

Friend

Lemon smiled as she looked upon her creation. A demon on the outside, a mere child within. Somehow, she felt that this was a gift from the Laughing Mare- a friend to have with her, especially as she was wading through this sea of enemies, who were envious of her power. She became resolved to teach it, to love it, to take care of it. She set herself a time limit. She would give it- no- her a week before deciding to take her before the Council or not. And hopefully, if she decided to show the Council, the High Prophet would be on her side of why she can't just give it up.


She smiles and embraces me. Unsure of what to do, I stop, stunned, until I figure out what this means. A hug. A sign of affection. Directed at me. Tentatively, I wrap my front forehooves around her. She feels soft, warm, and alive. I'm not sure how I feel. Don't think I can find out that.

I can feel that she's lonely. That she needs a friend. Maybe that's why I am here. To be a friend. I'm not sure. I can't figure it out right now.

And that's when my memories start to flow. A discombobulated jumble of feelings. Not being able to help myself. I feel weak... pathetic.

I don't know how long I lay there. A minute? An hour? But the next thing I feel is someone stroking my back, with my eyes closed. Whispering. This time, I could actually make out what she was saying. Her voice was soft, but laden with sorrow and pain.

"Don't worry... I'm right here..."

I slowly recover, opening my eyes and looking at her. She sighs. "I know... you probably have a lot of discordant thoughts going through your head, right?" I nod slowly. "That's okay. You'll get over it." I wonder who this pony is. I try to ask her, but I cannot speak. It just comes out as some voiceless whisper. She looks at my throat. "Huh. I guess I forgot vocal cords. I'll have to fix that soon." I blink, somewhat confused.

She beckons me over to a large rack which holds several pink cords taut. "Listen to this..." She blows on them gently. It creates a whispering sound, not unlike a musical note. I close my eyes and listen to them all. Softly singing. Suddenly, one of them stands out to me. I open my eyes and find it. They are a pair of them, both singing quietly. I blow on them. They create a sweet, sugary note. I smile warmly. Blowing on them again. It seems like a giant musical instrument of some sort. I feel a hoof around my back. "That sounds nice," she comments. I feel... safe around her. Like a mother. Or perhaps an intimate connection with her?

I yawn, unable to help myself. She looks at me and leads me to a bed. It's been hastily modified from a table- perhaps she has even spent nights on it? "It's all yours for now. I'll have to get another one." I smile and lay down- and then doubt enters my mind. I wonder why she is doing all this for me. Giving me her bed, showing me an instrument. But right now... all I feel is tired. Tired... tired...


Lemon waits until the effects of the anesthesia fully kicked in. Of course, the cuts that she had used had destroyed the vocal cords. She wasn't expecting it to need them. And, now that she felt that she did need them, Lemon decided to remedy that.

After yelling at her apprentice to slow down and go to bed- it was midmorning, after all- she turned on a lamp, took a needle, thread, scalpel, and the vocal cords that she had liked, and sat down. She carefully levitated her body over to the table and carefully examined the neck area. Hopefully, she could get some sleep before the sun set again... she already had about ten commissions.

But, then again, she reflected, sacrifices need to be made for friends. She drew the scalpel and got to work, hoping that these vocal cords could withstand being implanted.

Author's Note:

I know, this isn't a good chapter. It's short and doesn't give much plot. It's more of a... transition.

Next chapter will be out soon.