• Published 2nd Jul 2013
  • 802 Views, 9 Comments

From Equestria to Dust - Tresviri



Twilight and her friends find them selves in an unfamiliar desert with an imessly powerful (as well as massive) serpent... Uh oh.

  • ...
1
 9
 802

Chapter 7: Moving Forward

Chapter 7
Moving Forward

The sun hanged high in the sky creating heat waves on the sand not occupied with flora. Dust had taken the liberty to work on the foundations for the next village. It had taken him hours to finally erect high enough barriers so the water would not come crashing down when the totem is colonized. But like always he found a way. He was just making the final touches and ensuring that his followers had a path to the totem pole.

(And done.) He sighed with relief. (Now all that's left is to call them over... And that's the last totem in this area.)


Rarity downed another grape and shrilled with delight. "This is simply sublime!" She exclaimed while she lounged on her side.

"Rarity!" Twilight called. "Stop taking advantage of them!"

Rarity gasped. "Twilight I am appalled you would even suggest that I, Rarity, would do such a thing." Twilight frowned and pointed an accusing hoof to the mountain of juicy fruit. "Oh Twilight please, it's just a little foo-" Twilight tugged on the layers of silk she was resting on. "J-Just for comfort t-truly." Twilight rolled her eyes then gestured to her right and left. Rarity followed the motions to the two girls fanning her. "T-This is... um." Twilight intensified her glare. "Very well Twilight." She sighed.

Twilight nodded. "You two are free to go." Without hesitation the two bowed and exited the tent. Just as they left Kali entered. He bowed before approaching Twilight.

"I bring news Voice of God." He announced.

"Kali, What did you call me?" She asked nonthreatening.

"You are the Voices of God."

"You can call me Twilight you know." She said with a warm smile.

Kali fidgeted. "Twi-light." He murmured, earning him a cheerful smile from Twilight.

"Excellent!" She exclaimed. "But you said you had news?"

Kali shook himself out of his daze and nodded. "It would be best if the other Voices of God heard as well." Twilight understood and assembled the others in mere seconds. ""Voices of god." He bowed and was interrupted by Twilight.
"I think you should know their true names as well," She began pointing one hoof to each mare while saying the respective names. "Applejack, Rarity, Rainbow, Pinkie, and Fluttershy."

"I am unworthy." Kali bowed his head respectfully.

"Nonsense Kali you are plenty worthy." Twilight reassured. "But what is this news you speak of?"

Kali raised his head."The Breath of God has colonized the last totem and it is soon time to move on."

"I-I see." She stumbled on her own words. What does that mean?

"Also the rest of your guard is ready."

"A-Ah! Very good." She praised uneasily while glancing to her friends. "I am sorry Kali but could you leave me and the others for a moment?"

Kali bowed and backed away to the exit. "You need not ask Twilight. We are at your disposal whenever you desire." With that the exited into the sun and spoke to the guards outside about patrols and guard duty.

Twilight let out a sigh of relief as her previous worries drained away. What is going on here? What is Dust doing with these totem poles? Twilight's questions went unanswered in her mind as they usually do. Her friends, who were initially curious of the conversation, approached their absorbed lavender friend staring blankly into the floor like it held the answers to life itself.

"Uh, Twilight?" Rainbow nudged her getting no response. "Nope she's gone."

"Rainbow step aside." Rarity stepped in close and whispered sweetly. In response Twilight face shifted from, lost to confused, then too concerned, and eventually...

"Rarity!" She gagged. "That's disgusting!"

"Glad to have you back dear." She responded as chipper as ever. "I believe we would all like to know what is going on?"

Twilight shot Rarity a glare before scanning the rest of her friends. They all stood patiently awaiting her explanation. Pinkie however, being Pinkie, Was vibrating uncontrollably.

"Apparently Dust has settle the last totem pole." She shook her head admitting her lack of knowledge. "But do any of you girls remember seeing a totem pole in the center of town?"

"Do you mean so super-duper tall shell looking things?" Pinkie asked grasping the situation. "They were so smooth!" She chirped happily.

"Yes..." She stared at her Pink companion. "I think those might actually hold a large significance to Dust and these creatures."

"What kind of signifi-what's it?" Applejack asked completely butchering 'significance'.

"Significance, AJ," She politely corrected. "and I still don't know. Kali said now that the last totem has been settled we will be moving soon."

"Well what should we do then?" Rainbow interjected.

"Hmm..." Twilight pondered, determining the best course of action. "Nothing."

"Excuse me?" Rainbow asked. "I don't think I heard you right. Did you just say 'nothing'?"

"Yes I did dash. Dust will keep us safe and I believe... No, I know with his power we can go home." She reasoned.

"I hope your right Twilight."

The sound of yipping outside reached the tent. Twilight being the leader of the group, was first to investigate. She poked her head out the tent flaps to see six dark skinned creatures with white masks, shields and spears. They stood tall and proud waiting as one.Kali stepped forward and beat one appendage against his chest followed by a bow.

"Kali what's going on?" Twilight asked stepping outside. "What's with all the noises in town?"

"The Breath of God has given the signal. It is time to move."

"Very well." She sighed realizing she would have to go along with this. "I shall call the others."

Dust rested his body on a hill of sand overlooking the entrance to his next excursion. He grumbled with discontent after he realized that it was at the bottom of the basin he had made. It would not present to much of an obstacle thanks to his "Evaporation" power, granted by one of the totems, but it was still a nuisance. He let out another long sigh.

"You know every time you sigh a bit of happiness escapes you."

Dust's boredom drained away after hearing the voice.

(Twilight!) He exclaimed lifting his massive body. (Good you and the others are here, now we can move on.)

"Can you please explain what is going on?" Twilight pleaded. "What is this 'moving on'? W/hat are these totems?"

(Those are all fair questions) He nodded. (But to for the sake of time, I will only answer one. Which one would you like answered?)

Twilight thought for a moment. "What is going on?" She repeated.

(Ah, excellent choice. You see I have colonized the last totem in this area. Every time I do this the gateway to the next area opens.) Dust gestured behind him to the ray of light shooting out of the basin. (However as you can see we have a small problem.)

Twilight, her friends and newly acquired body guard moved over the hills crest and gazed into the basin. Sure enough a line of light was stretching into the sky from its center.

"I don't understand." Twilight said with her voice cracking. "I thought you were going to take us home."

(And I will Twilight.) He said deeply, drawing his head closer. (I swore I would get you home and I will. By following the trail of gates I believe we can accomplish this.)

"Dust if you don't mind me asking," Rarity cut in. "How do you intend for us to reach it?"

(Oh that is quite simple!) He chirped happily. (With every totem I colonize not only does it offer progress to an open gate, it usually gives me a power.) He stood tall with pride. (Evaporate!)

After Dust spoke the word of power specks of glowing white particles filled the air. They danced around in uneven patterns, creating a grant spectacle. The ponies as well as the men gawked in awe at their beauty until the water level dropped rapidly.

Kali recognized this as the chance to move and took of sprinting. The other men soon shook themselves out of their daze and bolted after him followed by the six Voices of God.

Twilight and Rarity were once again in the rear of the group. Their lack of physical ability would cost them dearly if they could not speed up. They both breathed heavily trying to catch up with their friends and body guards, who had left them behind.
"Aren't they -pant- supposed to help us?!" She asked wheezing from the effort of the sudden call for physical activity. Why are we even running anyway?

The universe, in its own sadistic humor, decided it would answer her foolish question.

The sound of rushing water appeared behind them as the white particles dispersed. Rarity dreaded asking the questions as smaller waves of cool liquid lapped at her hooves. She was nearly crying hearing the roaring of the coming mass of water.
"Wait!" Twilight shouted abruptly. "Why are we running?!"

Rarity wanted to facehoof, but on the account of 'galloping for her life' she could not find the proper opportunity. "Twilight!" She gasped. "Can you not -pant- hear the massive amount -wheeze- of water behind us?!"

Even while attempting to flee from her impending doom she shot her a funny look "Of course I -gasp- have!" She shot back bewildered that she had not caught on yet. "I'm a unicorn!"

Rarity returned Twilight's facial expression but with more scorn. "Why yes you are Twilight." She spoke mockingly. "And I am -wheeze- too!"

Twilight rolled her eye the best she could under the circumstances, which was awful. She then lowered her head and spoke confidently. "Which means I can do this!" She smiled, focusing her magic. In a bright flash the two mares were gone.


The ponies and the guard reached the structure with no difficulty. While the new guards wheezed and gasped for air Kali remained calm and collect. Having had several similar experiences in the past he was acclimatized to such hazardous activity. He took a quick mental note of the few others that had come from the nearby villages. Only four females, and unfortunately, the chieftain. Kali knew that he was up to no good. He could feel the sickening smile he brewed under his mask with the thought of Twilight's demise.

"Brothers," He whispered to his fellow guards. Hearing their superior's voice they straightened up. "We are charged with the protection of the six voices of god. No matter what tires to take their lives we are to shield them from harm." The five mask figures gave a reassuring nod of acknowledgment. Even if it is against our own people.

The chieftain heard Kali words and shot him a disapproving glare, Which Kali returned with gusto.

With his life in less peril then it was prior his mind wandered. I think I'm forgetting something... Behind his mask his eyes expanded realizing two very important ponies were not there. Twilight who spoke their language and her alabaster friend who only spoke in chips to his ears. Having an idea what had happened he turned his masked face to the approaching waters. He was surprised that they were nowhere to be found.

A bright flash and a scream behind him caught him off guard. With the efficacy, that only years of training and experience could bring, he whirled around with a tight grip on his spear.

One of his guard was sprawled out on the sand, scrambling to to his feet. Twilight stood in front of him breathing heavily but still smiling.

"H-Hi." She greeted between breaths for precious air.

"Twilight!" Kali Called, waving his hand. "You're alright!"

"Yes I am fine." She grinned at Kali's wonder. "I am not completely hopeless. I have my own powers."

Kali smirked behind his mask. "So it would seem." He and Twilight shared a hearty laugh.

(I hate to break up the reunion,) Dust said, growing impatient from their casual behavior. (but the wave of your imminent doom is approaching. So...) Looked down at the six ponies who looked back with respect. (Get your flanks inside!)

Twilight, realized that they were still in danger and picked up sprinting again. She was quickly followed by her friends and the villagers into the dark depths. Dust was the last to enter followed by the loud crash of a stone slab sealing the entrance.