• Published 2nd Jul 2013
  • 802 Views, 9 Comments

From Equestria to Dust - Tresviri



Twilight and her friends find them selves in an unfamiliar desert with an imessly powerful (as well as massive) serpent... Uh oh.

  • ...
1
 9
 802

Chapter 5: The Masked Men

Chapter 5
The masked men

“These Berries are soooooo Good.” Rainbow moaned stuffing her face.

“Rainbow dear, slow down.” Rarity scolded pulling, on her tail with her magic. “You’ll get sick eating so much… Although I must admit these are simply divine. “

“This whole place is beautiful,” Twilight added peering into the clear water in the basin. “I never thought water could look so clean.”

“An’ it tastes jus’ as good.” Applejack said lapping some up. “Ahhh! Now that’s how water ought ta taste.”

(I am glad you are enjoying yourselves.) Dust said beaming with pride. (It’s always good to hear someone who appreciate my work.)

“Ha!” Rainbow laughed. “You make it sound like you made all this.”

Dust stared down at the cocky cyan pegasus. (I did make all this.) He confirmed in a neutral tone.

Rainbow rolled her eyes while the others waited for him to admit he was joking. He never did. He just continued to look down on Rainbow waiting for more slander.

“Y-You’re not kidding… Are you?” Twilight asked.

(No.)

“Mr. Dust,” Rarity cut in. “If you don’t mind me asking, How?”

(Who do you think dug up the water?) He asked. (Dug the trenches? Raised the walls on the basin? That is all my handy work.)

“But why would ya’ do that?” Applejack asked clearly confused. “Why not get em’ followers ta help?”

Dust thought for a moment before giving her an answer. (Is it not a god’s duty to help his followers in whatever way he can?)

“Well ya’ really did give it ta’ em’ alright.” She said eyeing the forest in amazement. “Say, how long all this take anyway?”

(About two weeks if memory serves.) Dust calculated. (And I know it does.)

Twilight, Rarity, fluttershy, Applejack and Rainbow dash let their jaws hang ajar. Applejack and Twilight in particular had difficulty locating theirs' on the forest floor.

(What?) Dust asked cocking his head to the side. (Did I say something wrong?)

“N-No, were just surprised is all.” Twilight reassured Forcing her mouth closed. She nudged Applejack trying to get her back as well. However only gibberish came out of her mouth.

“Ahm la frab la…”Rainbow stiffed a laugh catching her attention. “Wha’ chu’ laughin’ bout’ Rainbow!”

“Oh nothing~,” She giggled flying higher.

Before an argument could break out dust slid between the two. (As heartwarming as it is to see you to fight, I would like to continue. We have 'dilly dallied' for far too long.)

“What’s the hurry Dust?” Twilight asked, naturally curious.

(I wish to bring you to one of the villages and for you to introduce yourselves.) Dust explained bowing.

“Oh!” Twilight exclaimed brimming with excitement. Meeting a new sentient race! This… Is… So… Awesome! She squealed in her mind, not wanting to come off as ‘weird’.

Gosh she’s weird. Dust thought not wanting to come off as ‘rude’. Alright but stay close just in case. Obeying their serpent protector the ponies clutched his sides. He sighed. (Not that close.)

The six excluding Pinkie giggled nervously and apologized. Twilight wondered why he asked for them to stay close in the first place. Is there some kind of hidden danger? Thinking that she would get an answer when they got there, she stayed quiet.

Well this is going to get interesting. Dust thought weakly.


Kali was just an average villager. He was in no way special, just like everyone else; he picked berries, went on hunts and occasionally followed The Breath of God's will ,with a few others, too colonize a totem pole. However unlike the others, that went about in this area, he had something they didn't. He raised a hand to the left of his triangular mask. Instead of finding a fine point his hand stroked a rough flattened edge. This fracture in his mask is what made him 'special'. This fracture would be what defines him until death.

"For The Breath of God, for our Ancestors!” He heard in the distance.

Some of the younger boys were back from the hunt carrying a large slug like creature. The other men and women in the village congratulated their success with various shouts and yodeling. Kali lifted his body to the standing position to join his brothers and sisters in their antics, when he saw a simmer of light approach over a nearby hill. He immediately recognized the light as their benevolent deity. He wiped around to confirm his belief and sure enough he was slithering towards the village. Under normal circumstances he would have declared his arrival so that the others may pay homage, but this was not normal. He was moving much slower then he normally would. He did not understand what would cause the great and powerful Breath of God to act in such a way, and that’s when he saw them.

Six colorful quadrupeds in close proximity of their god. His first thought was to call out to the people to grab their spears and continue the hunt. His second though occurred when he saw that two were air born, seeing the new creatures made him think they should, once again, grab their spears and kill the abominations. The only thing that stopped him from crying out was how it appeared The Breath of God himself was leading them to their village.

Unfortunately the chieftain who also caught sight of them was less than curious. He was furious. He was not as open minded as Kali and had a rather linear track of thought.

"Brothers and sister!” He called pointing his staff in their direction. "Your spears! Protect The Breath of God.”

The other Men and women raced out the village with their spears in hand. They did so with such startling speed that it actually surprised Kali. What he found more surprising was his own hesitation to comply. He had never once doubted the shamans or chieftains words. Letting those thoughts fall into the back of his mind he took hold of his spear and darted after them. Thanks to his hesitation he had fallen behind but was able to catch up without much difficulty. Unfortunately when he arrived it was already over, just not in the way he expected it.

All the villages’ people had surrounded the creatures… and The Breath of God that protected them.


This is not good! Dust thought seeing the villagers sprinting at full force with their weapons.

Twilight also saw them running in their direction and smiled. She thought they were just happy to see their ruler and were rushing out to greet him. Even if she had not initially thought that she still wouldn't have been able to sense the danger. She was far to fascinated by seeing the new species.

The first one to reach the group was the chieftain himself. Twilight, not aware of her peril, happily trotted up to him. She extended a hoof to him and introduced herself. “Hello my name is Twilight Sparkle…” Her eyes widened to the size of dinner plates when the black man raised a club over his head.

Oh I've been wanting to do this for a long time. Dust thought swatting the man into the river with his tail. The small biped offered no resistance as he flew through the air and landed with a magnificent splash. That… Was by far the most satisfying thing I've ever experienced.

“What the hay Dust!” Rainbow cried. “Why’d you smack that guy?!”

(No time to explain!) He saw the others closing in slightly wary of why he hit their leader but still looking for blood. (Get close!)

Without waiting for any form of compliance she circled around them forming a protective wall of light.
The masked figures stopped dead in their tracks. They stared upon their deity with looks of confusion and uncertainty. A few caught on quickly and lowered their spears to the flora and bowing before him.

"What sorcery is this!” Shouted an unpleased voice from the river bank. A very soaked chieftain trudged with purpose to the others. "What are you waiting for?! Slay those demons…” Dust reared up and stared down at him.

“They’re… Speaking Zebracin!” Twilight exclaimed excitedly trying to climb over Dust's body.

Dust shifted his body causing her to hit the ground with a loud thump. (Not now Twilight.) He bellowed, concerned for her safety. He stared the chieftain down into submission who apologized profusely for insulting him.

“What the buck is goin’ on?!” Applejack demanded.

Dust brought his head into the circle, fearing he'd be heard. (Twilight, you said something about "Zebrakin"?)

Twilight looked up to Dust beaming with a smile full of knowledge."Yes!" She yelled nodding rapidly. " They are speaking one of Equis's languages, how fascinating!"

"Dust what's goin' on!?" Applejack repeated. "Why are they attackin' us?"

(They must either think you to be animals to hunt or abominations defiling my lands.) He said as calmly as possible.

"T-They eat m-meat." Fluttershy stammered.

Dust nodded. (They're omnivores, they eat just about anything.) The groups’ eyes widened. (Don't worry I won't let them hurt you.) He spoke reassuringly. (But Twilight I’m going to need your help. You will be my voice.)

Without waiting for her reply Dust moved his body so it was in the form of a crescent moon. Some villages reached for their spears when they saw the creatures revealed. Dust raised his tail and brought it down with a deafening crash. The men recoiled regretting their decision.

(Twilight repeat everything I say in the most powerful voice you can muster.) Dust said clearing his non-existent throat. (Faithful followers you have done me proud over the time you have served me.)

"Faithful followers you have done me proud over the time you have served me." Twilight boomed with surprising volume.

Whispers erupted from the surrounding villagers. Dust silenced them with one great thud from his tail before continuing. (Because of your unwavering loyalty I will now grace you with my voice.) Dust paused allowing Twilight to translate. Much to her credit she did so without a flaw. (Theses six creatures will be my voice and thus are to be treated with the utmost respect.)

When Twilight finished relaying dust's message she turned to her friends explaining what had just transpired. Dust in the meantime kept his trained eyes on his rowdy followers. He found it difficult to read some of their features behind their masks but not impossible. Most of them were confused or unsatisfied with the lavender quadruped that spoke their language, or perhaps because she claimed to speak for 'The Breath of God'. Whatever it was, the chieftain looked to be the most... affronted by her speech.

That one is going to be a problem.

"So we' done here' Dust?" Applejack asked eyeing up the masked men.

(Not yet. Twilight I need you to say something else for me.)

"Um, sure." She said sheepishly.


“Psssst! Kali!” A man not far from Kali horse whispered.

"What?" Kali replied with lower volume.

"What do you make of this?" The young man asked.

Kali shook his head. "Don't know."

"My faithful followers!" Shouted the feminine voice again.

"Silence! She's speaking again." Kali commanded. Everyone turned their full attention to the purple creature as she spoke the words of god.

"The Breath of God has deemed it necessary for no less than six villages to serve as the personal guards of his voices." Whispers ran through the crowd again. "Those who wish to volunteer step forward."

Not a single soul stirred. The chieftain put on a smug smile behind his mask. These creatures will pay for their sins. He thought clenching his fist. No one here believes your ridiculous claim to speak for our god. No one will step forward to your defense, and we will cleanse God’s land of you. More murmuring echoed through the crowd catching him off guard. The chieftain searched for the cause of the noise finding a man with a damaged mask marching with spear in hand to The Breath of God. "Impossible..." He hissed.

Kali knelt down in front of the seven, awaiting their words.

"Brave one, The Breath of God recognizes you. What is your name?" Twilight asked, still speaking exactly and Dust instructed.

Kali starred for a moment. He was surprised that the Breath of God would recognize him let along ask for his name. "Kali." He answered bowing his head.

Twilight looked up to Dust listening carefully to his words. When she understood what was required of her, she gave Kali a warm smile. "Raise your head Kali." She requested in a gentle voice. "You have served me since my first awakening and instead of staying in one of the villages that were established, you chose to follow me." Twilight looked up to Dust Listening carefully to his next words. ”Such loyalty needs to be rewarded. You will be given a position of authority in a new group that you shall lead and name. Please note that this organization serves the six here and myself and therefore cannot be overruled by anyone but myself and the six here.”

Kali felt his chest swell with pride. Never in all his fays did he believe he would receive such a gift from The Breath of God.
”Now you must assemble five…” Twilight paused as another man joined Kali on his right side. Kali recognized the young man from the crowd as the one who spoke to him not to long ago. Twilight gave him a warm smile and continued. “Well now you only need four but that can wait. Please escort these six to the village.”

Kali nodded picking up his spear and gave the young man beside him and order to clear a path. The men and women parted to allow the six creatures and The Breath of God passage. Kali lead the six while the other man brought up the rear. ”Come.” Kali ushered the strange creatures. To his surprise the one that spoke for The Breath of God cantered up to his side. Kali was weary of her but remained silent.

”Hi Kali” She greeted in his native tongue, catching him by surprise. ”My name’s Twilight.”