• Published 15th May 2013
  • 712 Views, 9 Comments

Trixie and her Destiny - Stark Trist



The Tale of Trixie and her struggle to become famous.

  • ...
0
 9
 712

Chapter 4: Death of a Magician

Trixie lay in bed for a while, the dream slowly fading from memory. She rose, breaking her sleepy demeanor. A tear greeted her as she did, slowly it rolled down her cheek. She let out a long sigh.

More blank tears... she pushed aside the covers approaching the window to look out into the starry night above. The moon, bright and pristine, was full. The glowing orb, static in the sky, had possessed a special sparkle since the return of Princess Luna. It shone brighter now, it’s face no longer plastered with a mare’s. It felt unfamiliar to Trixie to see such a pure moon.

The lonesome body above reminded her of the long nights spent alone, working on her magic; of the endless hours, spent streaming through pages and pages of material at Celestia's school for gifted unicorns. Her time there felt like it was spent in Tartarus. She had gained most of her skills there, but she never even graduated. It was the single largest disappointment in her entire life.

Although, if she hadn’t gone through it all, she wouldn’t have made it to Jack Rabbit’s. She reasoned it was worth it in the end. "I wish I could still be working there,” she mumbled blinking away tears under the night sky. Her time there had been like a dream. A short, magical period of bliss, before the realities of life came back into focus. She had seen the great Black Flair at his prime and then his fall from glory; once the envy of all, brought low and made a disgrace.

Trixie stared intently at the moon watching it shimmer in the sky. She wished that she could shine like that, shameless and beautiful for all the world to see. She wondered what it must be like to be the moon. To have the entire world look upon you and stare in wonder. This was her goal, to become a beacon, a legendary magician. To have the whole world be inspired by her greatness.

It’s my destiny...

But then again, it was also Fugal’s original destiny to join the Royal Guard, and that never happened. What a cruel world we live in. To dream and fail so often, Trixie's rare nihilistic thoughts helped her calm down and make sense of the world. Her life, if anything, had told her there was no such thing as destiny. Only your will, to be who you want to be, shapes the world.

Trixie sighed, turning away from the window toward her makeshift dresser opening one of its drawers.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * * * * *

* * * * * * *‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ The Kind of Pony ‎ ‎ ‎ * * * * * * *

* * * * * * *‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎ by: Photo Finish‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎ * * * * * * *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * * * * *


The Kind of Pony lay at the top of her pile of mementos. Trixie pulled it out, setting the book aside as she looked over her graduation slip. She opened it, looking at the splendor of the document. Trixie hadn't many things to be proud of, but this was an exception. It was something earned, the high-honors of her class. Trixie looked over the pristine diploma, she was filled with pride as she read through the faculty names. ‘Black Flair’, the flashy signature at the bottom brought mixed feelings of regret and sadness.

The signature, which was next to the principal's still somehow still let off a dim glow. Trixie had often wondered how Black Flair did it, she could never figure it out. She thought it could have been the ink, but that didn't seem likely since it would have to be enchanted ink which was extraordinarily expensive. In fact, anything enchanted was extremely expensive. In the past, Trixie had often joked about how she should go into the enchanting business so that she wouldn't have to spend so much money on supplies.

After doing a little research she decided that it would be better to just buy them. Learning to enchant items was just as hard as learning magic twice, as the rules to embed objects with magic were complex and completely opposite to the study of casting spells with one's horn. Even a basic understanding would require years more of specialized and expensive training.

The mare looked at the paper again, reminding her that she lacked any college education. Maybe I should go back to school. She chuckled to herself for a short while, dismissing the thought and placing the article in her coat pocket. She was probably just tired from her long day and abysmal night. There wasn't time for her to doubt her life's path now. She needed to focus on her end goal. Canterlot!

Crash...

Trixie stumbled at the sound in the distance, falling onto the floor. She got to her hooves dazed. Ok, now I know for certain, I am just tired and need to go back to sleep. She lay back down in the cramped bed curling up into a tight ball.

Knock! Knock!

Trixie, groaned, “Uhhh, an annoying dream and now what?” she mumbled to herself.

“Trixie!” two squeaky and familiar voices sounded from behind her door. Trixie, annoyed and a little groggy got up and dressed. If she was to be seen it would be in her proper show attire. Trixie swung open the door open revealing Snips and Snail's terrified eyes.

Annoyed she shouted, “Trixie thought she said the Great and Powerful Trixie did not want to be disturbed!”

“We-- We have a-a tiny problem.” Snips said hesitantly.

“Actually, it's a big one,” Snails corrected him.

“What is so important that you cannot wait until morning to disturb Trixie?”

ROOOOOAR!

The cry echoed through town as an Ursa major broke the tree line.

Ohhh. . .

Trixie bit her lip, checking for another dream. Trixie winced in pain, as the dream refused to disappear.

N-no-nooo... This can't be right... This must be a dream. She stared at the colossal beast blankly for a moment, stunned at its size and ferocity.

Trixie's gaze was disturbed by a piercing scream echoing through the night. Trixie's mind flailed in confusion as the world started to move involuntarily as the Ursa slightly faded into the distance. Trixie then realized that she was running for her life bellowing out a deathly scream of terror.

Awareness finally returned to Trixie as she slowed to a trot, composing herself enough to start thinking again.

Ponies streamed out of their houses' growing to a large crowd. Her gaze was met by two fillies in pursuit. Behind them, she saw the massive Ursa a few hundred feet behind them smashing Trixie’s cart to bits.

“NO!” Trixie screeched her Prestige now a pile of rubble in moments. Trixie fell to the ground in shock, mumbling "No... I... my cart, my prestige."

The crowd continued to grow as ponies flooded into the town square. Trixie went on autopilot in the face of the crowd putting on a mask of peace and composure. Her dignity prevented her from breaking down in tears. She stood, a detached stare watching the beast as it approached.

“Great and Powerful Trixie, you've got to vanquish the Ursa!” Snips demanded.

“Yeah, vanquish so we can watch,” Snails added.

“Wait, you brought this here?” Trixie asked shock and rage etched across her face.

Snails casually nodded in the affirmative.

“Are you out of your little pony minds?” she yelled furious at the two fillies.

Snips and Snails stepped a pace back in fright at her outburst. The growing crowd also taking an interest in the conversation.

“But,” the foul blue unicorn spouted, “You’re the Great and Powerful Trixie.”

“Yeah, remember?” Snail added, “You defeated an Ursa Major!”

Trixie was about to say something about how useless banishing an Ursa major was in comparison to the how nice banishment for foals would be, but was cut off by a chaotic roar from a few feet away. The beast snuck up on Trixie, she was now cornered. Trixie hastily put together a plan. If she could distract the Ursa she might escape or even maybe subdue the creature somehow.

Levitating her rope from her supplies she wrung the rope around the air distracting the Ursa temporally. The Ursa seemed to be slightly amused by the rope. Distracted by her for a moment, she tied the rope about its fingers. No dice, the Ursa stared at the Trixie unamused by the little trick and snapped it almost immediately, all the while his eyes locked on Trixie. The two foals in the rear complained anxiously awaiting for something unheard of.

I need something flashier. Something that will get his attention away from me.

A spell preceded to form in her mind and she began to cast. Trixie had many spells that were visually appealing and jaw-dropping in their beauty. However, almost none of her show spells would work to distract an Ursa Major since illusions targeted the minds of ponies specifically. Trixie fell back to the basics forming a cloud of magic in the sky behind the Ursa drawing electricity to coalesce into a dark cloud.

My cloud grew and began to grumble in anticipation of its discharge. Trixie, although proud of her ability to force a cloud into existence, was ashamed of its size. The clouds are supposed to dwarf creatures, not the other way around.

KSHhh!

The Ursa roared in annoyance. Trixie didn't miss the opportunity to scurry away in the moment of confusion, leaving the Ursa alone near the edge of Ponyville. The beast erupted, ripping roofs off and gorging the ground with its claws as they ripped the city square asunder. The beast seemed to believe that the city's buildings were responsible for his misfortune with the lightning, and as such the beast ravaged the town. Trixie now near the center of Ponyville ran into the purple unicorn from earlier.

“What's going on?” she demanded a stern look on her face. Trixie stared at her, confused. Was this still the shy little squeak of a mare from the show yesterday?

“We brought an Ursa to town.” Snips replied.

The purple unicorn's eyes shot open as the beast came into view. Her reaction was much the same as Trixie's minus the screaming and running.

“You what?!” she shouted in disbelief.

“Don't worry, The Great and Powerful Trixie will vanquish it.” Snails said, a sparkle of anticipation festering in his eye. All three pairs of pony eyes landing upon Trixie expectantly.

Trixie's mind raced for some scapegoat but was drawing a blank. What could she do? Nopony except the Princesses, Wonderbolts, or maybe a squadron of the guards were capable of dealing with a beast of this size.

A memory flashed through Trixie’s eyes.

“Now remember,” Black Flair spoke to her with a stern deep voice, “you have seen firsthand that being a magician is dangerous. It is all fun and games until somepony gets hurt. Trixie, if you're going to be a magician I want you to promise me. Promise me that you will never endanger somepony’s life for the show.” The Great and Powerful Trixie responded. “I promise.”

‘The Great and Powerful Trixie.’ It was who Trixie was: a performer, an actor, and mastermind of her campaign to captivate the world. But above all that, The Great and Powerful Trixie was a magician. The first rule any magician must follow is to never tell anypony their secrets. Big or small it didn’t matter, their life was based around secrecy, to have the audience fooled at all times, to reveal only that which would make herself look great.

How could she keep her promises and her secrets? Trixie, the magician needed to keep the mystique of her persona. But also, Trixie, the magician needed to keep everypony safe. The two competing needs forced Trixie to choose.

Trixie fidgeted as the words escaped her mouth. “I can't...”

“What?” The two fillies shouted at her in disbelief.

“I can't, I never have.” Trixie said “No one can vanquish an Ursa Major. I just made the whole story up to make me look better.”

The two foals recoiled in astonishment.

Trixie mentally face-hoofed at their reaction.

What? You never expected to be tricked by a magician?

Another roar echoed through the town center as the Ursa ripped the roof off of one of the buildings after trying to decapitate it with limited success. It dove forward at the crowd of ponies now gathered, snarling viciously at the crowd.

The purple unicorn stood tall approaching the Ursa. Her mane blurred in the slight breeze as her horn began to glow. Then like an explosion the city was filled with magic. Trixie could feel the power radiating from the unicorn, like a magic beacon blasting outward in all directions. Trixie could do nothing but stare in amazement as the unicorn glowed in raw magic power.

Moments later the city was filled with the sound of a flute. The music was enchanting. The entire city was lulled into silence. Trixie's mind was almost lost amidst the melody, but her keen spirit repelled the strong magic leaving the unicorn barely conscious. Trixie’s eyes were glued on Twilight as her horn doubled in brightness.

Looks like it takes a lot keep that sp...

Trixie's thought was cut short as the sleepy Ursa started to tumble in her direction. Trixie winced in terror as it’s massive body plummeted toward her.

Trixie’s life flashed before her eyes. Her filly hood spent in Manehattan, the long evenings after work where she practiced magic religiously, and her tour through Equestria yielding the greatest adventures she had ever known. It was all there and gone in a flash.

This is it. The Great and Powerful Trixie squashed by a sleepy Ursa major. How pathetic...

Trixie stood there a moment more, eyes waiting for the wave of pain to come, then fade in an instant.

Death didn’t come. . .

Trixie irritated by the delay of her death peeked an eye open. Trixie’s jaw lay open for the next few moments as she witnessed the element of magic do her work. Twilight Sparkle, had telekinetically lifted the several thousand pound Ursa Major several hundred feet into the air. The Ursa Major now looked calm and even had a massive milk bottle in its grasp to suck on as it wisped through the air back to the Everfree Forest. Trixie stared at Twilight, her eyes revealing her pure disbelief of what she had just witnessed.

Her brain argued against her senses as she continued to stare in awe.

Trixie’s world shattered, her mind began to battle for supremacy against what she has witnessed. Her eyes desperately attempted to satisfy her rational mind. They darted through the plaza looking for a rune or maybe some type of enchanted item to explain the events. They revealed only four hoof prints buried several inches into the ground where Twilight stood while she cast her spell.

“Wow, Twilight,” a baby dragon said, breaking Trixie’s concentration, “how'd you know what to do with that Ursa Major?”

“That's what I was doing when you came looking for me. I was so intrigued by Trixie's bragging that I was compelled to do a little reading on them.” Trixie let out a low sigh at the remark, glad to get an explanation.

Wait that still doesn’t explain the city-wide sedative spell or the massive milk bottle which somehow appeared out of nowhere. Trixie, waited for the remainder of the explanation.

“So it is possible to vanquish an Ursa Major all by yourself?” The baby dragon stated bluntly.

“That wasn’t an Ursa Major, it was a baby, an Ursa Minor” Twilight stated matter-of-factly.

“That was just a baby?” Trixie blurted out in disbelief.

The unicorn nodded in the affirmative, then continued her report. “And it wasn’t rampaging,” She shifted her gaze to the two fillies. “It was just cranky because somepony woke it up,” she said, chiding the two fillies.

“Well, if that was an Ursa Minor, then what’s an Ursa Major like?” The baby dragon asked curiously.

The unicorn’s eyes then briefly drifted upward as if searching her archive of memories for an answer. “You don’t wanna know.” A small smile appeared on her face.

Trixie sat there still trying to pull herself together from the events which still seemed to defy reason. Her mind raced for answers, but only found more questions.

She when she came to, she was surrounded. The crowd eyed her expectantly, what had they expected? Trixie thought for a moment and then froze, realizing her mistake.

They want me to admit she is better, don’t they. The Great and Powerful Trixie has just died... They wanted me to acknowledge it.

NEVER!

If she couldn’t be the Great and Powerful Trixie, life would not be worth living. Puffing out her chest out and putting her best possible stage voice that she could. She defended her name, her existence.

“Huh!” Trixie, suppressing the urge to break down in tears. “You may have vanquished an Ursa Minor, but you will never have the amazing, show-stopping ability of the Great and Powerful Trixie”. She finished by summoning a smoke orb then smashing it onto the ground as she ran away as fast as possible tears filling her eyes.

Her hooves felt heavy as she ran, the weight of great loss coupled by the exhaustion of the previous day making each step harder and harder as she escaped the town. Her eyes now trailed by two lines of tears down her light blue fur.

She ran because she had nothing left, everything was gone. No family, no friends, no money.

She ran because her cart, her home, was now nothing more than splinters.

She ran because her image was now revealed to be a fraud in front of an entire town. Soon the entire country would know of the Ursa minor attack and how The Great and Powerful Trixie was nothing more than a fraud.

She ran, her life and identity lost.

She ran into the darkness not caring if it consumed her.

Author's Note:

Special thanks to Tales19 for editing this chapter!