• Published 10th Feb 2012
  • 1,142 Views, 35 Comments

How to Live a Daily Life - Smaug



Vinyl Scratch takes a break from music to experience a normal life in Ponyville.

  • ...
1
 35
 1,142

A Flight for Sore Eyes

Three days had passed since Vinyl had gone swimming with Twilight Sparkle and Spike. That meant tomorrow she was going to Ponyille Coliseum to see the Wonderbolts perform. It had been while since Vinyl had even spoken to Spitfire, let alone any of the Wonderbolts, so a little reunion would be nice.

Vinyl sat there, laying in bed, staring at the blank ceiling. She missed her own room- mostly because there were posters splattered on all of the walls- but that's the price to pay when you're on vacation.

She rolled over to look out the window. By now, she was used to seeing some random Pegasus hovering outside of her window squeeing at the sight of her, but today, there were none. She sighed, and closed her eyes. She was hoping to get a nap in, as for the last three days since going swimming, she had been planning the arrangements to perform the concert that she promised all of Ponyville.

Everything was going to plan. She would be performing in the same Coliseum that the Wonderbolts were performing in tomorrow, only a few days after. She would perform in her signature electro-sphere, a spherical stage with LED lights installed on every inch of it. It was also good for keeping fans from crawling up. It was difficult to keep Pegasi away, though.

She grinned to herself, and floated her Rag-pony Anne over to her.

"Oh Anne," She said. "The next couple of days are going to be-"

Before she could finish her sentence, a rainbow-hued blur shot through the window, tumbling to the floor.

Rainbow Dash shot up. "-AWESOME!" She shouted.

Vinyl stuffed her doll under her pillow. "Rainbow?!" She exclaimed. "What in Celestia's name are you doing?! The show isn't until tomorrow!"

Rainbow jumped onto Vinyl's bed. "I know, that's exactly why I'm here!"

Vinyl raised an eyebrow. "Huh?"

Rainbow Dash giggled with excitement. "Well, see, I got this great idea. I was thinking to myself, 'Gee, Rainbow. You're going to see the Wonderbolts tomorrow with Vinyl Scratch! Don't you think you should get there a bit early to beat the line?' " She pounded her left hoof to her right hoof. "I said to myself, 'Rainbow, you're a genius! Why didn't I think of it before!' So, " She continued, "We should camp out in the line tonight and beat the rush! I got the idea from Pinkie. She does it during Cider season." She smiled.

Vinyl laughed. "You're crazy, Rainbow Dash, but I like your style. I guess I could dig sleeping in a lineup. Wouldn't be the first time I've done it."

Rainbow Dash shot her hoof in the air. "Yes!" She said with excitement. "Alright! This'll be awesome!"

"When are we going to go then?" Asked Vinyl.

Vinyl's answer came in the form of Rainbow grabbing her hand. "Right now!" She said, and flew out the window, with Vinyl in hoof,

/\ \/ /\ \/ /\

Vinyl sat outside the Ponyville Coliseum, waiting for Rainbow to come back. She had gone back to her cloud home to fetch a tent and a few other necessities.

She looked around. Surely enough, there actually were ponies lined up waiting for the show tomorrow. Not too many, but there were ponies waiting. Two or three had tents sitting out, and the rest just had blankets.

One pony however, had seated herself in some sort of chair, and was sitting rather strangely. Instead of sitting her with all four legs curled up, she was sitting on her behind with her back legs hanging off of the chair.

What a strange way to sit... Vinyl thought to herself.

Vinyl turned her attention away from the pony and to the posters that were strung around the Coliseum. They were your average Wonderbolt posters. "See the Wonderbolts!" and "Watch them fly across the sky!". That kind of thing. They were nicely coloured, but she saw them everywhere in Canterlot.

Vinyl felt a hoof tap her shoulder. She turned around. Standing there was Rainbow Dash, with a large duffel bag slung across her back.

"Hey! You all ready to camp?" Rainbow asked.

Vinyl nodded. "It'll be interesting. What'd you even bring?" She asked.

Rainbow dropped the bag on the ground and began to unload it. She threw out a tent, which just unfolded and made itself, she threw out a few cleaning utensils for the morning, two sleeping bags, a few bags of hay chips, and some board games.

"All of this!" She told Vinyl.

Vinyl nodded. "Nice! Alright then. What do you want to do?"

Dash picked up Monopony with her teeth. "How m'bout dif?" She mumbled. "It'f afways good for wai'ing."

Vinyl rubber her chin. "It's more fun with more ponies though, isn't it?" She looked around. "Why not ask a few ponies if they'd want to play?"

Rainbow nodded and sped around, asking ponies if they'd want to play or not. About three ponies agreed to play, the others she asked said no obviously because they didn't want to lose their spot in line. The ponies that came to play had ponies with them, so losing a spot wouldn't be difficult.

Rainbow trotted back with the three other ponies. "Back! These are the mares who agreed to play."

Vinyl smiled. "Hi everypony! What're your names?"

The mare that had been sitting awkwardly had come to play, and was the first to introduce herself. "Hi there! My name is Lyra, Lyra Heartstrings! My talent is playing the, well, lyre!" She sat down, only again not in a regular way, and more of crossing her legs.

The second pony shook Vinyl's hoof. "Hello! My name is Minuette, but everypony calls me Colgate because of my hair. Nice to meet you!" She sat down, regularly.

The third pony sat down and smiled. "hi there! My name is Amethyst Star. I love board games, so naturally I agreed to play."

Vinyl gave her a friendly smile. "Alright then, everypony! Who do you want to be?" She asked.

"I'll be the shoe!" Lyra said.

"And I'll be the cart!" Said Minuette.

. "I suppose I'll be the thimble." Amethyst said.

Rainbow Dash snatched up the cannon. "Ah yeah, cannon for me!" She said.

Vinyl picked up the wheelbarrow. "I'll be the wheelbarrow, then! Alright, everypony!" She and the other girls sat their pieces on the board, and set up the money and cards. "I'll be banker. Now, let's get this game going!"

/\ \/ /\ \/ /\

"...Rolled a five, collect 200 bits for passing TROT!" Lyra announced. Vinyl gave her 200 bits in Monopony money, and Lyra snickered. "Ah yeah, at this rate, I'll beat your flanks in no time!"

Rainbow stomped a hoof on the ground. "Hey, I'm the one who actually has properties! You just have a lot of bits, that's all!"

"I'm in jail, still..." Minuette said quietly.

"And I just got 'Free carriage parking'!" Announced Vinyl.

Everpony groaned.

"That's somehow the third time you've gotten that..." Amethyst said.

Vinyl shrugged. "I don't know how I do it. I guess I have everyone to thank for landing on the taxpayers spaces!" She patted Lyra's shoulder, who grumbled.

"Okay, Rainbow, your turn." Minuette said.

Rainbow picked up the dice, snorted heartily, and threw them on the board.

"Six and one, alright!" She said happily. "One-two-three-four-five-six-seven! Yes! A Luck space!" Rainbow picked the card up from the pile, and her smile dropped into a frown. "Go to jail." She grumbled. She put her cannon on the jail space right next to Minuette's, who giggled.

Vinyl sighed. "So, who else is ready to see this show?" She asked.

They all stuck their hands up and gleefully shouted "ME!"

"I've been waiting for a show like this in Ponyville for a long time!" Lyra started. "Ponyville doesn't get a lot of celebrities. Well, except Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, Sapphire Shores, and-"

"Me." Vinyl finished.

Lyra smiled. "Yeah, and you! It's so cool being able to hang out with somepony like you, by the way."

Vinyl smiled. "Well thanks! It's nicer hanging out with real ponies, and not Canterlot ponies. So uptight."

Minuette laughed. "I hear you, sister. I lived in Canterlot most of my life, and I hated it! Twilight mailed me and told me how great Ponyville is, so I moved here!" She patted the ground. "And was she ever right."

"I don't even live in Ponyville!" Amethyst said. "I live on the outskirts of town near the Pie family's rock farm. It's so strange that they can make such wonderful scents come from that place's garden, what with their rock fields..."

Vinyl laughed. "Oh, I know. When I used to play with Pinkie, I wanted to stay outside all day just for the scent. What would you describe it as..." She thought for a moment. "I would say... a daisy-rose cake being baked."

Amethyst nodded. "That's exactly how to describe it! I sit on my porch, read a book, and smell the air." She smiled. "I'm going to do that right after the show tomorrow."

Rainbow snorted. "Aw, come on! All these girly-girl stories, and no game! Let's get back to it, hunh?"

Vinyl huffed. "So what kind of jobs do you girls have?" She rolled the dice and moved three spaces.

"Well, my co-worker, Doctor Hooves, prefers I don't talk about my main job, but the other job is a dentist! I love it!" Said Minuette. "Also, that part about a main job? Yeah, that was a joke. forget completely about that."

Vinyl raised an eyebrow, but turned her attention to Amethyst. "What about you, Amethyst?"

"Well," Began Amethyst, "I work at the town's jewelry store. In fact, I own it!"

Minuette's eyes twinkled. "Ooh! I didn't know you owned it!"

Amethyst nodded. "I do, I do. Such a wonderful job, and I meet so many ponies. I even came across Pinkie Pie once."

Lyra laughed. "What was that pony doing in a jewelry store?"

Amethyst shrugged. "Same thing that everypony does. Either looks, or buys. She was actually buying. A ring, for somepony named 'Gummy'. "

Vinyl coughed. " some-alligator." She corrected.

Amethyst looked surprised, but continued on anyways. "Anyways, she actually wasn't the first strange experience I've had."

Rainbow got curious at this point. "Who then?"

Amethyst laughed. "Who do you think, Rainbow Dash?"

Rainbow's face went red. "Oh. Me."

Lyra fell backwards in hysterical laughter.

Rainbow shot her a look. "What're you laughing at?" She asked.

"What was a pony like you doing in..." She snorted. "A jewelry store?"

Rainbow stuck her snout in the air. "Doesn't matter! I'm not gonna tell! Let's get back to the board game, come on!"

Lyra sat up. "I still haven't told my job!" She protested.

Rainbow huffed, but let her continue. "Fine."

Lyra nodded thankfully, and began. "I play in Ponyville's band. I'm the only one who can manage to play the Lyre with hooves properly, so it's extra important that I play perfectly!" She shifted. "It's not too exciting to hear about, I know, but it is when I'm playing!"

"Do you have it with you?" Asked Vinyl.

Lyra nodded. "I sure do! I never not have it! It's over with my roommate over there, I'll go get it and show you!"

She got up and ran over to her spot in the line. She argued with her roommate about something before coming back with a Lyre.

"Here it is!" She said as she sat down. It seemed like it was glowing in the sunlight, and it's surface was perfectly clean. It looked almost searingly hot to touch. "What do you girls want me to play?" She asked.

"The board game!" Rainbow Dash said, annoyed.

"What do you know?" Minuette asked.

Lyra plucked a few strings. "I know the Equestrian anthem, Octavia's Second Symphony... oh, and this one song I don't know the lyrics too... here, I'll play it."

She began to play her lyre. The song produced was an exquisite and calm thing to be heard, almost as if she were playing them a lullaby...

"Wait! I know that song!" Vinyl burst out.

Lyra beamed. "You do?" She exclaimed. "What is it! I've known it for ages and I can't even remember what it's called!"

Vinyl nodded. "I do! My mom used to sing it to me when I was just a filly. It's called "Lunar Lullaby". From what Octavia's told me, it was composed by a great composer and songwriter for Princess Luna, well before she went all Nightmare Moon. In fact," She continued, "I think I remember the lyrics!"

"Can you sing them to us?" Amethyst asked.

Vinyl blushed. "Heh. I don't sing a whole lot..." She said.

Minuette clapped her hooves together. "Oh, come on! I'm sure you can sing wonderfully!" She encouraged.

Rainbow merely fell back and groaned. "I just wanna play Monopony..."

"Well..." Vinyl stammered. "I guess I can..."

Her heart skipped, but she ignored it, closed her eyes, and began.

Across the land,
across the sea,
Night covers itself all around me.

The starry sky,
It lies above,
looking down upon us.

Moon dwellers home,
sol dwellers bed,
night will rest upon us,
once the day is dead.

Oh starry night,
oh starry night,
lull us in swaying arms.

Oh starry night,
oh starry night,
lull us all to sleep again.

She opened her eyes. The four ponies stared at her in awe.

"Uh...how was it?" She asked.

"Such a unique singing voice..." Lyra said slowly.

"I never knew you could actually sing." Rainbow Dash said.

"so-o-o pretty." Minuette added.

"Absolutely divine!" Amethyst enthused.

Vinyl blushed. "Awe, thanks everypony... that means a lot. I don't sing a whole lot, especially not in front of ponies."

"I thought you were amazing!"

The five ponies turned around. Standing there was a yellow pony wearing large sunglasses, a large hat, and a big coat.

Vinyl raised an eyebrow. "Well um, thank you very much, miss..."

The pony gestured Vinyl over to her instead. "Here, follow me for a sec." She said.

Vinyl squinted. "Why should I trust somepony who dresses up like that?" She asked sternly.

"Because you do know me, just come here a second!" The pony said threw gritted teeth. She took Vinyl by the hoof, and sped off. She stopped when nopony was in sight, and took off her hat and glasses.

"Spitfire!" Vinyl exclaimed. "What're you doing out here? Shouldn't you be getting ready for tomorrow?"

Spitfire hushed her. "It's good to see you too, Vinyl." She said, jokingly. She smiled. "Well, once I heard from the crew that Vinyl Scratch was playing Monopony in the show's early lineup, I had to go see you. So, I hopped into a disguise and made my way outside. And, to my luck, I just happened to find you singing!"

Vinyl grinned. "That is luck. Because I'm probably not gonna ever do that again."

"Aw, come on Vinyl, it was great!" She patted Vinyl's back. "You could always auto-tune your voice for your songs." She winked.

Vinyl waved her hoof. "Auto-tune? Yeah, right. Who do you think I am, T-Neigh? I'm Vinyl Scratch baby, the DJ Pon-3! Auto-tune's not my style."

Spitfire rolled her eyes and smiled. "Yup, and dubtrot is."

Vinyl snorted. "Hey, that's ElectrotHouse, and you know it!"

Spitfire giggled. "Hey hey, it's all in good fun!" She stopped and smiled. "I'm glad you're here to see the show, Vinyl. I really am."

Vinyl returned her smile. "I am too, Spitfire. You going to the concert I'm putting up? It's only fair." She said, and winked.

Spitfire nodded. "Ch'yeah, of course I am! I wouldn't miss out on a free concert performed by the one and only you!"

Again, Vinyl grinned. "Alright, then, cool! That'll be awesome!" She looked behind her. "I really should get back to my friends in line, though." She laughed. "Friends... Wow, I only just met the ponies I'm with in line, and I already consider them my friends..." She looked back at Spitfire. "Funny how things work around here, hunh?"

Spitfire hugged Vinyl tight. "It sure is." She said. She let go. "I'll see you after the show maybe?"

Vinyl nodded. "Oh yeah! Mind if I bring Rainbow Dash along?"

Spitfire laughed. "Oh, yeah! Of course! She saved my life, she can hangout whenever... and if she can ever manage to get in contact."

Vinyl gave her a high hoof. "Awesome, alright then! I'll seeya later, Spitfire."

"You too, Vinyl." Spitfire said.

Vinyl watched as Spitfire unfolded her wings and flew back into the coliseum, and trotted back to her spot in line.

Rainbow Dash looked up. "Who was that?" She asked.

Vinyl looked at her. "Just a friend." She said calmly.

/\ \/ /\ \/ /\

"...a-a-and here they come! Fillies and gentlecolts, the moment you've all been waiting for! Please welcome...THE WONDERBOLTS!"

The stomping of hooves filled the coliseum as a sound like the crack of thunder filled the sky. The source of the crack came from six flying Pegasi overhead. It was the Wonderbolts, ready to begin their show.

"Fillies and gentlecolts, put your hooves to the ground for the Blue Blur... SOARIN'!"

Every pony in the stadium stomped as Soarin' flew overhead in a star shape, right before he kicked the star into a flurry of fireworks.

"Impressive, very impressive!" The announcer said loudly. "Now everypony, please do the same for the White-Maned Wonder... FLEETFOOT! "

The stomping once again was in an uproar as Fleetfoot flew down towards the ground, bounded off it, and flew into the air, releasing more fireworks.

" Outstanding, completely outstanding! Alright everypony, please welcome the Pegasus with the sun's rays for a mane... R-R-RAPIDFIRE! "

The cheering went on. Rainbow Dash was practically destroying her vocal chords with the amount she was yelling. Vinyl simply cheered in her seat, waving a big novelty hoof around.

Rainbow flew back down in her seat. "Isn't this amazing?" She said. "I can't believe they decided to come to Ponyville! It's as if they knew I'm their biggest fan, and decided to come here to show me personally!"

Vinyl laughed. "Or they're trying to widen their performance range."

Rainbow ignored her. She was eagerly awaiting what Vinyl could only guess was-

"Fillies and Gentlecolts, now is the moment you've all been waiting for! Please stomp as loud as you can for the first pegasus to out-fly a dragon, the amazing... the magnificent... SPITFIRE!"

The crowd burst into an uproar with hoof stomps and yelling. Spitfire flew down out of the sky, leaving flames in her path. she jetted down to the ground, where a flurry of different coloured flames sprouted from the ground. The crowd's applaud grew louder with this, and soon the sounds of the stadium were ear piercing.

Rainbow Dash was back up again, shouting at the top of her lungs. Only this time, Vinyl had joined her. They cheered and cheered for Spitfire and the rest of the Wonderbolts, as they drew a giant multicoloured star in the sky that Spitfire flew threw, making it explode with fireworks.

"Isn't she amazing?!" Rainbow yelled to Vinyl.

Vinyl nodded. "She really is something! I mean- WHOA!"

Vinyl's reply was cut short as three of the Wonderbolts flew over her and Rainbow Dash, leaving a coloured trail behind them. They swooped around in a eight shape with the other three Wonderbolts, who in turn switched sides and flew over Vinyl and Rainbow instead. Rainbow squealed in her seat, and Vinyl simply giggled.

"Now everypony, watch carefully as Spitfire and Soarin' perform the 'Sonic Twister'!" The announcer yelled. "For those with sensitive hearing, please try your best to cover out the sound!"

Several ponies around the stadium covered their ears as Spitfire and Soarin' started spinning around each other in a large circle. They gained speed, and plenty more of it, until all that could be seen was a tornado of blue and yellow spinning in a circle. Suddenly, a loud screeching sound gradually grew around the stadium. By now almost everypony was covering their ears, except Vinyl.

Rainbow gave her a strange look. "HOW DO YOU NOT FIND THAT LOUD?!" She yelled.

Vinyl laughed. "OH, TRUST ME, IT IS LOUD! I'M JUST USED TO LOUD SOUNDS!" She yelled back.

Rainbow laughed, and suddenly a thunderous boom echoed throughout the stadium as the tornado blew up in an explosion of colour. Everypony cheered, despite the fact that many of their ears were pounding.

"Now everypony, prepare to be blown away by the amazing power of Fleetfoot and Speed Racer as they show off their brand new technique, the 'Great Ursa Major Run!"

Everypony watched as the two Pegasus ponies flew down to the ground, and started racing across the ground, side by side. Eventually, the started beating their wings, and lifted off of the ground about a foot. A beam of light seemed to be coming out them, as if they came straight out of Disneigh's 'Trot'. They split off from each other, drawing an elaborate trail with the light. It was then apparent that they were working together to create an Ursa Major. As they both finished their sides of it, they flew into the air, and the light-made Ursa began to rise as if it were just slumbering.

Everypony screamed in terror at the sight, but the screaming turned into screams of joy as Fleetfloot and Speed Racer brought their hooves down upon it's head, disintegrating it into thousands of small lights, which fell to the ground like snow. Everypony 'Ooh'd' and "Aah'd' at the result, and cheered once again. Fleetfoot and Speed Racer both bowed to the crowd, and flew back to where the other Wonderbolts awaited them.

Once they returned to them, all six flew down in unison, and curved upward as they just about touched the ground. They split off individually and started flying around each other in an atom shape. As each of them both flew towards each vertex of the atom, the split off, twirling in vortex-like shapes. Everypony cheered like crazy.

Suddenly, one of the bulbs in the light pole towering above Vinyl And Rainbow began to spark. Nopony took notice, as they were too focused on what was happening below. The light's fixture became loose, and began sliding out of place.

Suddenly, the light finally slid out of place and started to fall. The last thing Vinyl remembered was somepony yelling for help, before falling unconscious.

/\ \/ /\ \/ /\

"...She's waking up!"

Vinyl slowly opened her eyes. Her vision returned, and she saw Rainbow Dash at her side.

"R...Rainbow...? What happened...?" She asked quietly.

"good, you are awake!" Rainbow said happily, and hugged Vinyl. "The doc'll explain."

"Thank you, Miss Dash. You may wait outside until we are done here." The doctor said as he walked in.

Rainbow nodded, and walked out.

The doctor smiled at Vinyl. "Good morning, Miss Scratch!" He said kindly. "How're you feeling?"

Vinyl rubbed her horn. "Well... fine, really. There's a tiny bit of pain in my horn, but that's about it..." She looked around. "How the hay did I get to a hospital?" She asked.

"Well," The doctor began, "From what I heard from Rainbow Dash and her yellow friend, what happened was a faulty light fixture at Ponyville Coliseum. Apparently, you were using magic to feed yourself some popcorn, but the light had fallen on your horn, and your magic went haywire and absorbed the remaining power from the bulb, helping the bulb to knock you out."

Vinyl raised her brow. "Wow. I didn't know that could happen." She admitted.

The doctor nodded. "It's a very common occurrence. Unicorns accidentally absorbing lights, they get knocked out, we bring them here, and drain out the light."

"How?" She asked.

"Simple, really." He pointed at the lamp in the corner of the room. "We simply use an enchanted lamp that absorbs light energy from somewhere it isn't needed. That lamp didn't even work before you were brought here!"

"Wow. Magic really is something." Vinyl said, dumbfounded.

The doctor grinned. "It really is. In fact, you'll be out of here in about an hour or so because the process went so well!"

This time, Vinyl grinned. "Really?! That's awesome news!"

"Isn't it?" Said the doctor. "Oh, and Rainbow Dash? You and your friend may come in now!" He said with a raised voice. He turned back to Vinyl. "I have to go. A nurse will be in later to check you out of the hospital." He trotted to the door. "Good day, miss Scratch!" And with that, he was gone.

In his place returned Rainbow Dash, with...

"Spitfire?" What're you doing here?" Vinyl asked at the sight of the athlete.

Spitfire laughed. "Hi, Vinyl. I'm good, thanks, how're you?" She asked, jokingly.

Vinyl rubbed her horn. "It hurts a bit, but it's getting better."

Rainbow Dash hugged her again. "I'm so so so sorry I had us sit there, I didn't know that would happen!"

Vinyl patted her back. "Hey, don't blame yourself for a light bulb. Nopony knew that was going to happen. Besides, you and Spitfire got me to the hospital!"

Spitfire raised a brow. "Uh... I didn't hear about the accident until after the show. I had to keep performing." She panicked a bit. "But uh, I would've if I wasn't!" She added quickly.

Vinyl looked at Rainbow. "But the doc said 'Rainbow and her yellow friend' took me to the hospital. Who was it?"

Rainbow shrugged. "Who else? The only other yellow friend I have is Fluttershy. She was there the whole time. Didn't you see her?"

Vinyl slowly shook her head. "No... no I didn't..."








--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the lack of updates, everyone! School was tough for me this year. Anyways, another day, another chapter!

Can anyone find the shameless puns?

Disclaimer: The light fixture part of this chapter is NOT a reference to the fire that occurred at Bronycon.

I also have a new idea for a story after I finish this one, so look out for that! About two more chapters and this story will draw to a close.

Thanks to everyone who still reads this!