• Published 10th Feb 2012
  • 1,142 Views, 35 Comments

How to Live a Daily Life - Smaug



Vinyl Scratch takes a break from music to experience a normal life in Ponyville.

  • ...
1
 35
 1,142

Lunch with Ponyville's Smartest

The door to Sugarcube corner swung open, and in walked Vinyl.

Pinkie bounded into her line of sight. "Scratchy, you're back! How was-"

Pinkie stopped abruptly and winced. Vinyl was drenched in rain water, and her mane -as if not a mess already- was covering her face, making her look like something out of a horror film.

Pinkie reluctantly brushed the hair out of Vinyl's face. "Uh... hey." She said weakly.

Vinyl looked at Pinkie, obviously out of breath. She went to say something, but abruptly burst into laughter.

Pinkie watched for a while, and then began laughing as well. They fell on the floor, laughing for several minutes, when Vinyl finally spoke up. "Heh... hey, Pinkie."

Pinkie turned her head and grinned widely. "Hi Scratchy!" She exclaimed.

She helped pick Vinyl up off the ground. "How was Sweet Apple Acres?" She looked up and down Vinyl's body. "You know, before, the whole, 'Little-Miss-Wet-Scratch' thing."

Vinyl laughed a little. "Well, it was... a lot of work. Haven't done anything like that before. I had a lot of help though, too." Pinkie handed her a towel, and she continued on. "Big Macintosh showed me how to properly buck apple trees, Applejack saved me from a raging bull, and I helped Applejack till a garden." She shuddered. "That was the most painful part..."

Pinkie nodded. "Oh, I know, trust me. I've done it a bunch of times with her! It's like pulling on a giant metal tilling thingy, gosh they're heavy!"

Vinyl went to say something, but hesitated. She knew it was just Pinkie being herself.

She yawned. "I think I'm gonna go to bed... today was really exhausting..."

Pinkie nodded. "That's fine! I can imagine why. I'll be your wake up call!"

Before Vinyl could protest, Pinkie bounded off into the kitchen. She sighed, finished drying herself at the door, and trotted upstairs. She opened the door to her bedroom, and flopped onto the bed. She stared at the ceiling. As she moved her eyes around, she saw a shadow coming from the window's direction disappear. She propped herself up to look outside, and all she could see was swaying branches outside.

She sighed, and flopped her head back onto her pillow. She sighed, and instantly fell asleep.

/\ \/ /\ \/ /\

Vinyl lay in a field of flowers, with the sun shining upon her. Around her, ponies pranced and play in the field, dancing with Pinkie Pie. Pinkie grabbed Vinyl on her way by and began singing.

Remember that day,
way back in the day?
When you and me,
first met Octee'?

She was quiet, and we,
we were loud!
But she put up with us,
we were the first she met in town!

Vinyl noticed the sky darken a little, but Pinkie continued singing nonetheless.

She liked you better,
and was alright with me.
Why oh why,
did she not listen to my plea?

I liked her, just as much you did!
But she took no notice,
no matter what,
and saw me as a 3 year old kid!

The sky became much darker, and Pinkie had become a darker shade of pink. Vinyl began to panic, but Pinkie wouldn't let go of her.

You took her from me,
but don't worry, that's okay,
I'll let you rot...

Pinkie pushed Vinyl into a large, rectangular hole in the ground, And screamed "IN YOUR GRAVE!"

Vinyl tried climbing upward, but to no prevail. It had began pouring rain. She looked up at Pinkie, who was now towering over the hole, her hair straight and smile wide, laughing at Vinyl.

Other ponies around Pinkie -or rather, Pinkamena by now- began laughing with her at Vinyl, calling her names and throwing mud at her.

"What, don't you like being around ponies, 'Scratchy'?" Pinkamena scoffed. "Aren't you really popular?"

Vinyl began crying, pleading for Pinkamena to forgive her. "Please Pinkie, I didn't mean to ever hurt you! Let me out, please!"

Pinkamena ignored her, and had begun to fill the hole with dirt. Vinyl tried desperately to climb out, tears and dirt rolling down her face. "Please, Pinkie! Please!"

All Pinkie did was laugh as ponies filled the hole, muffling the desperate pleas of Vinyl.

/\ \/ /\ \/ /\

"Aaaaaaugh!" Vinyl screamed, sitting upright in her bed. She was sweating, and breathing heavily.

She looked around the room. Everything was the way it was supposed to be. Lampshade on the night table, closet closed, the morning sun shining through the window, a pegasus floating outside the window, a clean, un-dirty Vinyl-

Wait. Pegasus outside the window?

Vinyl looked back outside. Surely enough, a pegasus was floating there outside the window. She had a mail bag flopped over her back, a rather interesting cutie mark consisting of bubbles, and her most distinguishing feature, her eyes. They looked in opposite directions, which to Vinyl was most intriguing.

Vinyl got up and opened up the shutters, allowing the pegasus to land inside.

The pegasus smiled brightly. "Hi there! I'm Derpy Hooves, your friendly neighborhood mailmare!" She vigorously shook Vinyl's hoof. "It's real nice to meet a star pony, gosh, I don't get to do this a whole lot! Except that one time when I met Princess Luna, and Spitfire the Wonderbolt, oh and Princess Celestia, oh hey! I can't forget Photo Finish! Boy, I never get to meet celebrities!" She continued shaking Vinyl's hoof, making Vinyl's front leg hurt. "And boy, here I am, meeting the best DJ in Equestria, DJ Pon3!"

Finally Derpy Hooves stopped shaking Vinyl's hoof and reached into her saddle and pulled out a letter. "Anywho, here's a letter right here, for you, here! This one's from the library, which means Twilight Sparkle sent you it! Gosh, she's a nice pony, sending letters and such, but boy she does it a lot! She has a dragon that sends letters to Princess Celestia you know, isn't that cool? The postal service doesn't really like her doing that, but we can't do anything about it, being Celestia's will, you know!"

The mare flapped her wings. "Well, I've got to go now, it was really cool meeting you and all! Boy, I had a great time! We should do this again sometime! Well, seeya!" And with that, the mare flew off.

Vinyl blinked, and then shook her head. "That was interesting." She said to herself.

She opened the letter and read it.

Good morning, Miss Vinyl Scratch!

My name is Twilight Sparkle, if you recall from Pinkie Pie's party from when you first arrived. I was hoping you'd have the time today to come to the library and have lunch with me and my friend Spike. We would love to get to know you.

I found out recently that Spike is a rather large fan of yours, and after showing me some of your songs, I can agree you are quite the artist! I wouldn't let Spike be a 'Fanboy', I'd be sure to make him behave.

Thank you for your time!

~Twilight Sparkle

Vinyl thought about the letter. Twilight seemed very proper about what she had said, very formal. Vinyl received letters like that all of the time, knowing her fans were just trying to get her attention by proving how proper and mature they could be. Vinyl appreciated it, but she liked when her fans were just themselves.

She thought about it for a second. So far, she had hung out with three of Pinkie's friends. Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and Applejack. The only one left was Twilight. Oh, wait. Wasn't there another one? She thought. What was her name...

She shrugged. "Enh, oh well. I'll remember at some point." She looked back down at the letter. "Hm... I guess it'd be fair. She seems nice enough..."

Just then, she remembered her dream, and shuddered. Maybe she should talk to Pinkie Pie first, before she left. she never thought that Pinkie might have been jealous of her and Octavia. She winced at the thought. She'd definitely talk to her.

She set the letter on her bed and set her path downstairs. Pinkie Pie was, of course, already up and eating.

"Hey Pinkie." Vinyl said as she approached her pink friend.

Pinkie turned her head and smiled brightly. "Hey Scratchy! I heard you might be going to Twilight's day! That means, you'd have visited all of my friends! Well, except Fluttershy. She keeps to herself anyways." Pinkie took another bite of her hash browns. "I meam, you'b be lucky thoo even thalk thoo her!" She said with a full mouth. "She'th that quieth!"

"I believe you, trust me." She sighed. "But uh, Pinkie?"

Pinkie swallowed her food and turned her friend, smiling widely. "Yeah, Scratchy? What's up?"

Vinyl gulped. "Well, I... I had a dream last night."

Pinkie raised an eyebrow. "A-a-a-and that's all you wanted to say?" She asked.

Vinyl shook her head. "Heh, no, it's just... it made me think. Were you... ever jealous of Octavia and I's friendship?"

Pinkie tilted her head. "That's an interesting question. Why would I ever be jealous?"

Vinyl sat down in a chair. "Well, my dream made me think. I know you like befriending everypony in Ponyville, but... I sort of had a more... how do I say this. A more "In-tuned" friendship with Octavia, than you and her did..."

Pinkie giggled. "Well of course you two had a more "In-tuned" friendship! You're both music ponies!" She giggled at her shameless joke. "But, in all reality, I don't think I was ever jealous. Not that I can remember, at least. To be honest, I kinda liked seeing you make a friend who likes music as much as you did. I know I'm not very musical, so I guess in a way, it was... fair?"

Vinyl tilted her head this time. "What do you mean by 'fair'?" She asked.

Pinkie shrugged. "Well, I'd already befriended a load of ponies in Ponyville, and I was really your first friend, right? So, seeing you make a friend who had an interest the same and as heavily as yours, seemed sort of fair." She laughed. "Sounds odd, but I guess that's how I can put it! Sure, me and Octee' were friends, but she seemed like she liked being closer with you."

She sat back in her chair. "I'll admit, I felt at times like you were sort of distancing yourself from me, but I guess I should've expected that with you having a new friend." She smiled. "I do it sometimes, too. I just like everypony to feel welcome!"

She hugged Vinyl. "Don't let your silly dreams get to you, Scratchy. I'll always love you as my friend!"

Vinyl sighed and returned the hug. "Thanks, Pinkie... You'll always be mine, too."

Pinkie broke free of the hug and held Vinyl by her shoulders. "But enough sappy talk! You've got a day with Twilight ahead of you!"

Before Vinyl could speak, Pinkie pushed her to the door and wished her goodbye. Vinyl sighed, waved back, and closed the door behind her.

/\ \/ /\ \/ /\

The library didn't take her long to find. It was, after all, the only literal tree-house in all of Ponyville. She walked up to the door and knocked.

"Spiiiike!" She heard a voice call from inside, "Answer the door, please!"

Just then, the library's door opened up, and instead of a pony to answer it, a small, baby dragon stood in it's stead.

The baby dragon's eyes widened and his jaw dropped. "You...you-you're..." He stammered, the gulped. "Vinyl Scratch!"

Vinyl giggled. "As a matter of fact, I am, little guy!" She rubbed his head. "And who'll you be?"

The dragon swallowed. "Um... Spike. My name's Spike, and... I am a huge fan of you."

"Oh-h!" Vinyl said. "You were the guy Twilight Sparkle mentioned in the letter she sent me!"

"And that, will be me!"

Vinyl looked past Spike. Coming up behind him was the pony that Vinyl remembered to be Twilight Sparkle. Twilight stuck out her hoof.

"Pleased to meet you, Miss Scratch!" She said.

Vinyl shook her hoof. "You too, Miss Sparkle!" She replied.

Twilight giggled. "Call me Twilight." She said.

Vinyl winked. "Call me Vinyl!"

They both laughed, and Twilight ushered Vinyl in. Vinyl looked around the library. It was a very interesting layout, with books filling shelves all around them.

Twilight noticed Vinyl's curiousity. "Impressive, don't you think? Not as many books as I'd like, but it does it's job." She said, proudly.

Vinyl simply nodded. She was afraid that Twilight might get offended if she told her that she hates reading.

"What kind of books do you read, Mi- Vinyl?" Twilight asked.

Darn. The one thing she tried to avoid. "Uh, you know." She said. "Good ones."

They sat down at a table. "Specifically?" Twilight asked.

Vinyl though of any one book she's actually read. "Uh... do Batmare comics count?" She asked.

Twilight laughed. "Of course! Comics are books. Believe it or not, I read some myself." She started listing them off. "Like you, I read Batmare. I also read Maredevil, Luna Wars... I also read graphic novels!" She exclaimed. "Watchponies, P for Pon-detta, a lot of that stuff."

Vinyl nodded politely. She had heard of those, but only saw the movie versions. Something Octavia scolded her for.

Vinyl noticed Spike was watching her from a small bedroom near the top of the library.

She laughed. "Is he usually like this?" She asked Twilight.

Twilight looked at Spike. "You mean Spike?" She looked back and giggled. "Nah. He's just excited to see his idol here. Well, his pony idol."

Vinyl raised a brow. "Pony idol? Does he have an idol for every species?" She asked.

Twilight nodded. "Not all of them, but a lot. His biggest idol, no offense to you, would be the Great Red Dragon. For obvious reasons." She added.

Vinyl nodded. "No, that's alright, it's totally understandable. Same species and whatnot." She looked at him behind her glasses, and quietly added, "Why doesn't he have wings, though?"

"He's a Physignathus Dragon. It means he's more of a water dragon. Not exactly a serpent, but a dragon with no wings and incredible swimming abilities." She smiled. "He loves going to the beach. I take him twice a week!"

Spike tapped Twilight, making her jump. They hadn't noticed he had made his way to the table. "That's something I wanted to ask," He said. "Since it's really nice out, could we go to the beach and have lunch? Please?"

"Hm..." Twilight thought. "Well, why don't we let Miss Scra- sorry, Vinyl, decide? She is our guest!" She smiled politely.

Vinyl nodded her head. "I think that's an awesome idea! It'd be better than being cooped up inside all day. It's pretty nice out." She coughed. "If you want to, Twilight." She added.

Twilight nodded happily. "Of course I do! I've already gotten all of my studying done, and a day outside could do me some good." She got out of her seat. "I'm just gonna go pack a few things. Sun lotion, towels, the lot. I'll be a few. In the meantime, you two..." She looked at Spike and Vinyl. "...Can get to know each other!"

Twilight trotted downstairs, and immediately Spike jumped on Vinyl, wrapping her in a tight hug.

"Oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh!" He exclaimed. "I can't believe I finally get to meet you! Wow, this is so cool!" He jumped off her, and started tugging her highlighted mane. "Wow, it really does stay in place! And it's so straight, too!" He started poking her cutie mark. "Gosh! I never thought I'd see this with my eyes!"

Vinyl fidgeted around. "I'd rather you not poke so close to my plot." she said sternly.

Spike stepped back and rubbed the back of his head out of embarrassment. "Heh, sorry. Got a little carried away." He said, face as red as it could go.

Vinyl winked. "S'aright. At least you didn't grab." She looked away. "Like most ponies..." She mumbled.

"So what's it like being famous?! I bet it's totally awesome! Lots of money, lots of fame, lots of fans!" Exclaimed Spike. "It must be totally cool!"

Vinyl laughed. "You'd think so, but that's exactly why I'm on this trip; to take a break from all of it!"

Spike looked confused. "Why would you wanna get away from all of that?" He asked.

Vinyl patted his head. "Hey. When you're the biggest, most infamous dragon in Equestria, you'll know."

Spike giggled in glee. Just then, Twilight re-entered the room, with a bag slung over her backside.

"Alright, Spike. Vinyl. I've got us all packed! I've got snacks, sun tan lotion, towels, the whole lot! Shall we traverse?"

Spike and Vinyl nodded in agreement. Spike jumped on to Twilight's back, and the three of them walked out of the door.

/\ \/ /\ \/ /\

"Spike, stop splashing!"

Spike laughed and splashed Twilight again, who frustratingly splashed back. Spike spat out the water, but suddenly was tackled from behind by Vinyl. She resurfaced with him on her back, and threw him off in front of Twilight, causing her to get soaked again.

"Hey, no fair! Ponies versus Water dragon, remember?" Twilight exclaimed, spitting out the water in her mouth.

Vinyl merely smirked and splashed her again. "I don't recall that rule. I'll verse whoever I want!" She said, before Spike splashed water into her face with his tail.

Twilight stared, and then burst into laughter. "This is fun!" She exclaimed.

The three of them sat in the water and giggled.

"Y'know," Vinyl started, "This is the most fun I've ever had with anyone I've ever first met!"

Twilight looked at her. "What do you usually do?" She asked.

Vinyl shrugged. "Eh, you know. Go to Pony Joe's, have some donuts and shakes. That kind of stuff." She raised an eyebrow. "What do you do?"

"Well, to be honest, I don't usually jump in to this sort of fun with someone I've just met." She said. "But, obviously it's a lot of fun! And we have Spike to thank for pushing us in." She winked at him.

"Aw, shucks. I was just bored being in the water all alone!" He said.

Vinyl smiled. "How about a race to those buoys?" She asked, and pointed towards a buoy line. "I bet even a dragon like you, Spike, couldn't beat me!"

Spike pumped a fist into the air. "You're on!" He exclaimed.

Vinyl looked at Twilight. "How about you, Twilight? Wanna race?"

Twilight shook her head. "Oh no, I can't swim fast very well. I can keep a slow pace. Speed's for Rainbow Dash, not me!"

Vinyl nodded. "Alright, then. Ready Spike?" She asked.

Spike readied himself. "Ready!"

"3...2...1..." Vinyl counted. "GO!"

And with that, Vinyl and Spike raced on towards the buoy line, with Twilight behind, cheering both of them on.

/\ \/ /\ \/ /\

The yellow pony stood behind the tree, watching the white pony and the dragon swim towards a buoy line.

"Oh... if I could only..." She hesitated. "Oh, I'll never be able to! Why am I...?" She trailed off, noticing that the purple unicorn cheering them on was looking at her.

"EEP!" She blurted out. She flew off as quickly as she could handle, and on to the nearest cloud that the unicorn couldn't see on to. She gently peered over the cloud. The unicorn had lost interest, and was now congratulating the dragon on winning the swimming race.

The yellow pony smiled. "Wow, it seems like no pony can beat him..." She said to herself. Just then, she heard a small sound come from the ground. She looked down to see a rabbit, babbling about something she could apparently understand.

"You're hungry? Now? Oh, well, um. Okay. I'll, um... come home and feed you now." She told the rabbit. She fluttered down beside it, and quickly trotted home, hoping no pony could see her.

She frowned. "Oh, I'm such a coward..." She sobbed.

/\ \/ /\ \/ /\

"Whoo! I sure am tired." Announced Vinyl. "Any pony ready for some snacks?" She asked.

Twilight nodded. "That sounds like a great idea! You two look pretty tired from that swimming race. Congratulations, Spike!"

Spike bowed. "Why thank you! The pleasure was all mine!" He looked at Vinyl. "Oh, and Vinyl's too."

Vinyl smiled. "Thanks little guy. Now, how about some snacks!" She exclaimed.

Twilight hovered a picnic basket over to them, and began unloading it's contents. "We have daisy sandwich's, hay fries, some juice boxes, a few gem stones..."

Vinyl halted Twilight. "Uh. Gem stones? Why gem stones?"

Spike coughed. "Well, it's kinda what I eat."

Vinyl blushed. "Oh! Sorry..."

"It's okay! I get it a lot, don't worry." He replied. "Now," He licked his lips. "How about some food!" He exclaimed. Twilight shot him a unimpressed look. "Oh, um. Please?" He said. She nodded, and passed him a few gems, which he started eating immediately.

"What would you like, Vinyl?" Twilight asked.

"Just a sandwich and a juice box, thanks." She replied. Twilight passed her both of the items, and Vinyl began eating. Twilight did the same, and they all ate contently.

Twilight swallowed her bite of food, and asked Vinyl "So, what's the music industry like?"

Vinyl swallowed her own food. "Well, you know." She slurped from her juice box. "It's a lot of work being famous. You'd think it's all fame and fortune, but there's a lot of work behind it."

Twilight nodded. "I can imagine! Princess Celestia's told me about what it's like being a princess, and it sounds like being famous is harder than not being famous!"

Vinyl nodded. "That's a perfect way of putting it. My fans are always so expecting of me, so I have to throw out a new album or single every so often to keep them happy. Which, of course, makes me happy. In the end, it's all worth it."

This time, Spike spoke up. "What's making music like? Is it fun?" He asked.

Vinyl nodded eagerly. "Oh, you have no idea, bud! Using all the equipment looks hard, but it's like slicing a cake once you get used to all of it. It's so fun!" She took another bite out of her sandwich, swallowed, and continued. "Just ask Pinkie Pie! I've let her use my stuff a few times, and she's gotten pretty good at it."

Spike's eyes lit up. "Uh... do you think, I could try before you go?" He asked eagerly.

Vinyl frowned. "Sorry Spike, but I left all of my equipment back home with my roommate, Octavia." She patted his sulking head. "But hey! I'm gonna have it shipped here soon! I'm planning to throw a big concert for Ponyville." Spike giggled in glee.

"Wait," Twilight said. Vinyl and Spike looked at her as she continued. "Did you say that your roommate is Octavia?"

Vinyl nodded.

"Like, Octavia Crescendo?" Twilight asked.

Vinyl nodded again.

"Your roommate?"

Vinyl blinked. "I take it that you've heard of her." She remarked.

Twilight's eyes sparkled. "Oh my gosh oh my gosh! You're roommate is Octavia Crescendo! That is so amazing!"

Vinyl laughed. "Not only that, she's my best friend! We've known each other since she moved to Ponyville!"

Twilight's seemed to glow. "She lived here? In Ponyville?" She asked.

Vinyl nodded. "For a while, yeah. I'm surprised Pinkie didn't tell you that she's friends with 'Tavia."

Twilight shook her head. "No, she never told me! I'll have to ask her about that." She changed back to the original subject. "But, what's she like? I love her work, I listen to it constantly when I'm reading and studying! I'm sure you've heard all of her pieces, what's your favourite? Is she fun to hangout with? Oh, I have so many questions!" She said, grinning.

Vinyl laughed awkwardly. "Yeah, I can tell! Well, uh. To answer the first question, it depends on her mood... when she's happy, she's the nicest ponies I know! But, opposite that when she's angry..." She answered.

Twilight nodded. "Oh yeah? Well, everyone can be scary when they're mad." She repeated her second question. "What's your favourite by her?"

Vinyl shrugged. "I don't really have one. They're all super awesome, but, it's not my type of music. I don't hate it, but I don't listen to it a whole lot."

Twilight nodded. "Completely understandable! And like I asked before, is she fun hanging out with?"

Vinyl thought about the question. "Well... it honestly depends on who she's with. With me, it's always a good time! Even if it gets out of hoof sometimes. But, if it's like a date with a colt or something, she can be really quiet." She sipped from her juice box. "She tells me everything."

Twilight nodded. "Gosh, knowing all of this about her makes me all giddy! I adore her work! Thanks for that, Vinyl. Really educational!"

Vinyl laughed. "I wouldn't say it was very educational, it was just snippets of what she's like." She looked back at the water. "Any pony ready for another swim?" She asked.

Twilight and Spike nodded, and the three of them ran off into the water again, laughing and splashing into the rest of the day.




-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's note:

Holy, I am sorry for the delay. I've been getting a lot of stress from school, sorry everyone! I'm glad you all still sticked with the story!

In case you haven't noticed, it's episode stylized. That's why there's no blood, drugs, alcohol, etc.

And also, over 1,000 views! I'm honoured! Thanks everyone! I'm really enjoying writing this, it being my first fan fiction.

On a side note, who can spot the innumerable puns I've put into this chapter?

Also, try and read Vinyl's voice with the same voice from the Musicians of Ponyville animated short! It gives more character to her.