• Published 10th Feb 2012
  • 1,142 Views, 35 Comments

How to Live a Daily Life - Smaug



Vinyl Scratch takes a break from music to experience a normal life in Ponyville.

  • ...
1
 35
 1,142

The Most Work She's Ever Done

"...And that's how I got my cutie mark."

Applejack stared at Vinyl. "Wow..." She said. "That's... a real good story, Miss Vinyl."

Vinyl smiled. "Aw, thanks! What about yours? How'd you get your cutie mark?"

Applejack laughed. "Well, Ah'd rather not say. It's a might embarrassin' teh tell." She looked ahead and smiled. " 'Sides, we're here!"

Vinyl looked up. Surely enough, they were surrounded by apple trees and huge tracts of land. The sound of sheep of cows traveled across the land, and the cocking of chickens rang through the air. The smell of apples wafted through Vinyl's nose, enticing her in it's aroma.

"It seems so...." She sighed. "Peaceful!"

Applejack smiled. "Well, it can be, sometimes. M'little sister Applebloom gets most'uh the peacefulness, bein' young 'n all." She gestured to a far field. "Y'see that field? How all 'uh the trees'r bare?"

Vinyl nodded. "Yeah, why?"

"Well, those'r all apple trees. M'big brother Big Macintosh only cleared it all yesterday. He started 'bout last month."

Vinyl's eyes widened. "Wow. That really is a lot of work. How long can it take you?"

Applejack hesitated. "Well, ah don't usually empty th' field. Ah did one time, but... let's just say ah got overly conf'dent, 'n it... took me a while."

Vinyl nodded. "I do that with my music, sometimes. I totally understand."

Applejack laughed. "Well, this kind'uh work is a might diff'rent than yer' music work. There's plenty more work ye' gotta do."

They passed through the gate of Sweet Apple Acres and up to the Apple family's house. It was an old looking house, with fading colours and a crooked porch. A pony Vinyl recognized as Granny Smith was fast asleep on a rocking chair, snoring and drooling.

Applejack shushed Vinyl with her hoof. "Y'don't wanna wake Granny Smith from'r nap. She needs'r beauty sleep." Granny Smith snored loudly. Applejack winced. "Even if it doesn't look too beautiful."

They walked through the door. To Vinyl's surprise, the house looked much cleaner on the inside. In fact, it was more than she expected. It didn't look very much like the other houses in Ponyville, but it was still nice. There were many rooms, nothing as big as the kitchen. The house seemed very... everywhere, while being somewhere at the same time.

"here," Applejack said. "Ah've got to go fetch a few pails from ma' apple cell'r. You can go n' sit in the livin' room."

Vinyl shook her head. "No, I want to experience everything, first hand. If that's alright."

Applejack smiled. "Ah like yer' attitude, Miss Scratch! A'right then, folluh' me!"

Applejack led Vinyl to the basement. "Ah 'riginally only had one way to th' apple cell'r, but ah found it annoying havin' to go back n' forth. So, Big Mac got a few of his friends teh' build anoth'r way down. Handy, hunh?"

Vinyl simply nodded and smiled. The stepped into the apple cellar. Vinyl completely understood why it was called an apple cellar. Barrels were piled on top of each other, filled to the brim with apples. It was dark and cold, but that was understandable. Apples are supposed to stay fresh, after all.

Applejack picked up a few buckets with her tail. "Y'all can start with doin' th' same thing Ah'm doin'. Pick up a few buckets with yer' tail or whatever ye' can, and take 'em up that staircase there." She gestured to a staircase opposite of the one they came down. "We'll need about ten'r so, so it shouldn't be too difficult for ye' teh' do."

Vinyl nodded, and began picking buckets with her tail. It wasn't meant for such things, as it was a sort of curled tail, but she managed to do so anyways. It wasn't very heavy, but then again, they were all empty. She could pick up three with her tail, and one with her mouth and carried them up the stairs and outside.

Applejack had carried the rest with her tail, and hung them on a beam attached to the side of the farmhouse. Vinyl followed along, setting them in the way Applejack had done.

"Now what?" Vinyl asked Applejack.

Applejack pointed a hoof to several trees. "Those trees y'see? Well, Ah thought Ah'd take it easy on ye' and have ye' do those ones n'til all yer' buckets r' full. Me, on the other hoof-" She pointed to a large field. "Ah have teh' clear about a quarter of that there field. Here, I'll show ye' how tuh' buck the trees."

Applejack strode over to a tree with a bucket, set it down, and turned around. She bent over, and with an extreme amount of might, back-hoofed the tree, causing the apples to fall into the bucket.

Vinyl's eyes widened and her jaw went agape.

Applejack grinned as she strode back over. "Now, Ah don't expect ye' tuh' get it on yer' first try, but Ah'd prefer ye'd do it quick, aright?"

Vinyl nodded, nervously. "Yeah, I can manage that..."

Applejack smiled approvingly. "Great! Ah'm gonna go git' started on that field. Good luck now!" Applejack trotted off towards the large field of apples.

Vinyl looked at the trees. She gulped. She'd never use her back hoofs for actual bucking, just for shows when she really got into the music. Kind of like Fillex, when he performed.

She straightened herself out, and breathed in and out. I can do this, She thought. It can't be all hard. I mean, that's what pony's back legs are for, right?

She walked up to the first tree, and turned around. She closed her eyes, and bucked. A ripple of pain shot through her legs, and the momentum of the kick pushed her face first into the ground.

"o-o-ow..." She groaned. She got back up, her legs still aching. She'd been through worse though, so she ignored it. She looked back at the tree. Not a single apple had fallen.

She huffed. "Great, that's great..." She sucked in air, and tried again. And again. But each time, the same result came. Kick, pain, ground. Kick, pain, ground. She didn't want to give up, but the pain made her want to cry as she sprawled out on the ground.

"Y'alright, Miss?"

Vinyl turned her head around. Standing there was who she remembered to be Applejack's big brother, Big Macintosh. "Y'need any help?" He asked.

Vinyl shook her head. "No, no I'm fine. I just gotta... keep trying, y'know?"

Big Macintosh raised an eyebrow. "Not from what Ah was seein'. Or are ye' hittin' the ground on purpose?"

Vinyl snorted. "No, it's just a little hard, that's all. I've never done this kind of thing before."

Big Macintosh grinned. "Ah can see that. Want me teh' give ye' a few pointers?" He helped her up. "If ye' want me to."

Vinyl shook her head. "Nope! I want to keep trying. Get the feeling of success!" She punched the air with her hooves.

Big Macintosh sighed. "A'right, then. But Ah'm gonna keep an eye on ye', make sure ye' don't hurt 'cherself too much."

Vinyl gave him a smile, and turned back to her foe. That's all it was. An enemy, waiting to be defeated. She narrowed her eyes. It's you and me, apple tree. She spun around on one hoof, raising the back of her body as she did it. At the right moment, she kicked her hooves out. Not only did the pain ripple through her legs again, but the momentum of this kick sent her tumbling into the fence.

"U-u-u-ugh..." She groaned. Her vision was blurred. She shook her head, and then, standing in front of her, was Big Mac.

He grinned. "Eeyup. Y'need help."

He picked her up. "Now, watch n' listen teh' what Ah do."

Vinyl huffed. Big Mac ignored it, and walked over to the tree, and turned around.

"Ah've noticed that yer' only kickin', not focusin'." He gestured with his legs to show her what she was doing. "Y'see? Yer' just kickin'. Ye've got 'tuh focus yer' might into yer' legs, not just yer' thoughts. Like this!" He hoofed the tree. The buck was so powerful that several roots were uplifted, and all the apples fell into the buckets below.

Vinyl stared, dumbfounded. "I...wow. That was... something."

Big Mac grinned. "Eeyup, so Ah've been told. Y'see what Ah mean, though? Ye've got tuh' focus yer' might n' mind when buckin'." Her gestured to another tree. " 'Ere, try it out on that one."

Vinyl hopped off of the fence and up to the tree. Focus your might, and your mind... She narrowed her eyes and grinned. Focus. Might. Mind. She lowered herself to the ground and licked her lips. "Alright..." She said. "Let's do this!" She spun around on one hoof, again. She focused all of her energy into her legs. It all felt so slow. The wind zipped past her face, coiling it's way through her mane. And then, she tightened her leg muscles, and bucked the tree.

A loud crack was heard, and the apples fell from their sitting places and into the buckets below. This time, Vinyl had kept her ground.

She panted. She stared at her success, and then whinnied in glee. "Yes! Alright, I did it! Yeah!" She spun in circles, bucking her legs in the air.

She then remembered Big Mac. In mid spin, she jumped on him, hugging him tightly. "Thank you so, so much! It felt so awesome!"

Big Macintosh laughed a bit. "Ahaha, eeyup, it sure does, don't it? And it's no probl'm, Ah'm glad Ah could help out." He put her down on the ground. "Ah've got teh' go do ma' jobs, now. Come n' see me if'n ye' need anythin' if Applejack's busy." He walked away in the direction of the barn.

Vinyl smiled, slyly. He's kinda cute... She thought. She shook her head. She had feelings for another pony, someone she didn't want anyone knowing. (Not even you!)

She continued bucking the trees for the next half hour. Not as amazing as the first one she did, however. She continued bucking, and eventually, she was finished. She looked at her work, and, realizing how tired she was, fell over. She laid on the ground, panting. She was proud of her work, all thanks to Big Macintosh.

"Miss Vinyl! Good job on the Applebuckin'!"

Vinyl lifted her head to see Applejack standing there.

"Heh... thanks... huff... Applejack..." Vinyl slowly got back on her hooves. "Your brother gave me... whoo...!... some pointers..."

Applejack patted her on the back. "Well that was mighty nice of'm! Now, come on. We've got teh' milk th'cows!"

Before Vinyl could even say anything, Applejack grabbed her by her tail and dragged her off towards the animal pens. Once there, the smell of animals wafted through the air. The numerous smells disgusted Vinyl, but she promised herself she'd get used to it once she was there longer.

Finally, Applejack stopped, allowing Vinyl to rise to her feet. " 'Ere we are!"

Vinyl stared. A barn filled with many, many cows spread out in neat rows.

Applejack opened the viewing door, and they strode in. "Lemme intruh'duce ye' to th' gang! This here's Bovinette, n' this is Mooriana, and...oh! Hey there, Ms. Milkington! How's the fam'ly?..."

Vinyl tuned Applejack out as they continued down the rows. She thought back to Octavia, and wondered if she had gotten any reply letters since she left Sugarcube Corner. Now she was eager to get her work done. But then, something caught Vinyl's hearing that caused her to panic.

"So, you got all'a that then? A'right, start milkin'!" Applejack declared.

Vinyl had missed every little instruction on how to milk cows. Applejack had already started, so she thought, I could just watch Applejack and see how she does it. I'm sure I can learn that way!

Vinyl watched Applejack as she milked a cow. It looked easy enough. Pull the utters over top of the bucket, and make sure you get the milk into it.

With content, Vinyl picked up a bucket from a rack and placed it under a cow. She began pulling the utters.

As if on queue, the cow bucked it's hind legs, sending Vinyl flying into another cow, who bucked her upon her impact, sending her back to the other cow, only face first into the bucket.

"Ow..." She groaned.

Applejack laughed. "What in tarnation was that, Miss Scratch?" She helped Vinyl onto her hooves. "Didjeh fer'get? Ye've got tuh' pull'm in a cert'n way!" She started pulling the cow's utters in a very orderly way. "Like this, see? This utter, n' then this utter, n' then this utter, n' then this one!"

Vinyl watched, and then nodded. "Alright, I think I've got it." She tried again. This time, the cow didn't do anything except stand there and let Vinyl work. Vinyl felt accomplished, being able to get the hang of this faster than she did bucking trees.

Applejack patted her back. "Good job there, Miss Vinyl! Ah'm gonna go work on some other cows. Call on me if'n ye' need some help!"

Vinyl nodded, and Applejack trotted off into the crowd of cows. Vinyl continued milking the cows, gleeful from her achievement, and disgusted by the thought of what she was doing. All the same, work was work. So on she went, milking and milking. When she finished one cow, it was on to the next.

Eventually, she got to the end of the row. She didn't know what to do next, so she decided to go on to the next row.

However, these cows looked slightly different. There horns were bigger and they weren't covered in spots. Vinyl wasn't very familiar with cows, so she took no notice to it. She set the bucket underneath it, and began pulling the utters.

Or, she would've, if she wasn't bucked on top of another cow opposite of the one she had gone to milk.

The cow she now laid on had obviously become angered, because now it was bucking it's hind legs and attempting to break free of it's restraint, which Vinyl had not noticed before. She held on for dear life, and finally the cow broke free.

Still holding on, Vinyl bounced up and down on top of the rampaging animal. It bucked it's legs every which way, snorting and growling.

"What's the big idea, lady?!" He exclaimed, still bucking. "No pony tries to attack Bull Kickswell! NO PONY"!

The cow, now obviously a male, Or a bull... Vinyl thought through the chaos. How could I have been so stupid?! Bulls are male cows!

Vinyl let out an "Oof!" as the bull halted to a stop, now seemingly more like he was struggling.

"Kickswell! Ah've told ye' teh' stop scarin' 'ar guests!" Vinyl heard Applejack scream. She looked over top of the bull's head. There in front of the bull, Applejack had a lasso wrapped around the bull's head, who was trying his best to pull free.

Kickswell grunted. "I'll do what I have to when someone tries to attack me!" He said through his teeth.

As if he knew what was going to happen, Kickswell dropped to his knees. Applejack had won this rope fight. Applejack trotted over and lifted Vinyl onto her hooves. She looked down at Kickswell. "No pony tried to attack you." She pointed over to the bull that bucked Vinyl in the first place, who was smiling, guiltily. "Iron Kick thought Miss Vinyl was tryin' teh steal his share of tuh'days food, n' bucked her on top of ye'." She stomped her hoof in front of his nose, actually making the very powerful-looking bull cringe. "Now, apol'uhgize!" She commanded.

"Fine... Sorry, pony." He sneered. "I didn't mean to hurt you, if I did." He snorted. "Just stay back, okay? Us bulls have tempers."

Vinyl thought it a rude apology, but coming from a bull, it was good enough for her. She nodded. "It's alright. Just a little scary, that's all." She turned to the other bull, Iron Kick. "And sorry for trying to milk you. I couldn't tell the difference between a bull and a regular cow." She rubbed the back of her head. "I'm not from around here."

The bull nodded, and turned away to continue eating.

Applejack untied Kickswell, and helped him back up and into his stall. She made sure he was secure, and then turned to Vinyl. "What in hay did Ah tell you?! Don't try teh' milk the bulls! Weren'tche listenin' to me?!"

Vinyl's face went paler than it was already. She gulped. "Well, to be honest, I wasn't... You were talking to all the cows, and I didn't hear you..." She gulped again. "...Tell me what to do."

Applejack's angered face became less angered and more embarrassed. "Uh... yeah... Ah do that. Ah just like havin' everyone get f'milar with each'uther." She put her hooves on Vinyl's shoulders. "But even then, Ye' should'uh listened tuh' me neverth'less! He could'uh hurt you good!"

Vinyl let out a sigh of guilt. "Yeah, I know... I'm sorry. I really am. My thoughts can really get the better of me. I'll try not to do it again."

Applejack nodded. "A'right, Ah'm glad teh' hear that. Now, we've done a good amount uh' things. Y'wanna break? Ah think ye' could use one after what just happened."

Vinyl nodded eagerly. "Yeah. I really could use one."

Applejack smiled. "Great! We'll go back tuh' th'house. Ah can make us up some cider!"

Vinyl nodded even more eagerly. "Yeah! I could really use one!"

/\ \/ /\ \/ /\

Vinyl sat down on the reclining chair. It felt very old and worn out. She sighed. It was nice relaxing after so much work. Many photos covered the walls, a lot of them in black and white. There were some of a little pony in a bonnet, some of a stage coach, and one of a family meeting Princess Celestia. The coloured ones were mostly of a filly Applejack and Big Macintosh, and a slightly younger Granny Smith. There weren't too many of Applebloom, but there were a few.

Applejack walked into the room pushing a cart with two cups of apple cider on top. "Here we go! Two apple ciders! One fr' you..." She gave one to Vinyl. "...and one for me!" She picked up her own and sat down on the sofa.

Vinyl sipped from the cup. The cider was delightful. It had a unique twist of tangy and sweet, and the taste of the apples were very imminent.

"mmmmm," She moaned. "This is the best cider I've ever had..."

Applejack smiled. "Why thank ye' Miss Scratch! Ol' fam'ly recipe. Ye'd never ever guess the main 'ngredient."

Vinyl looked at her, as if she thought Applejack was that daft. She realized it was a joke when Applejack winked at her. They both giggled.

Vinyl looked around. "Hey, where's your little sister? I haven't seen her at all."

Applejack sighed. "Oh, she's off doin' her things... Tryin' tuh' find'r cutie mark n' all." She snorted. "Wish she would stop bein' so 'nnoyin' about it..." She mumbled.

Vinyl laughed. "Cutie mark? What, does she think she's just gonna find it? Ha!" Vinyl gulped down her drink, and let out a loud belch. She covered her mouth and her cheeks became incredibly red.

Applejack raised an eyebrow. "That's def'ntely somethin' I haven't heard'je do."

"Ehehe... yeah... sorry." She stammered. "It's just... really good cider, that's all."

Applejack smiled. "Ah well, I 'ppreciate that, Ah really do." She laid back in her chair, pulling her hat over her eyes.

Vinyl tapped her hooves on the chair's arms. "What are we doing next?" She asked.

Applejack raised her hat to see Vinyl. "Yer' itchin' fr' workin' already? We only just took a break."

"I know," She replied. "I'm just...eager, I guess."

Applejack sat up in her chair and smiled. "Well, that's the kind'uh spirit Ah like hearin'! Although," She slouched back into her chair and rubbed her chin. "There's not too much else we can do. Ah guess we could till th' gardens that don't have any crops yet, if Big Mac ain't doin' that." She looked at Vinyl. "But, Ah'm gonna letche' go after that. Ah don't like pushin' ponies that don't work here on the farm."

Vinyl nodded in agreement. "That's fair enough. You wanna get to work then?"

Applejack nodded. "Sure thing!" She hopped out of the chair. " 'Ere, foll'uh me. Th'gardens are 'round back th' house."

Vinyl jumped out of the recliner and followed Applejack. They stepped out of a door in the kitchen, and in front of them stood fields of gardens, some filled with crops, others barren.

Applejack pointed out each one. "Carrots, Cel'ry stalks, corn, tuh'maters, Snozberries-"

Vinyl cut her off. "What's a snozberry?"

Applejack shrugged. "Ah dunno. Ah just know we have 'em. They're p'erty good, too." She continued. "On'yuns, peppers, wheats... n' so forth." She pointed to an empty field. "That's the one we're guh'nna work on, seein' as Big Mac is off doin' somethin' else." She gestured for Vinyl to follow her. "Come on then. Let's get workin'! N' remember to listen this time." She gave Vinyl a stern look.

Vinyl nodded quickly. "Don't worry, I will! Not after that bull experience."

Applejack nodded, and led her to a small shed. "Wait here," She said, and went inside. She came out with a large horse-drawn tiller.

"This," Applejack said through her teeth. "Is what..." She said, obviously struggling. "We use... to till... the...land!" She stopped pulling, and started panting. "They're gosh darned heavy. Ah can barely pull one. So, we're just gonna work tuh'gether pulling just this one. Ah warn ye' though, ye've got tuh' use every bit uh' strength ye've got in ye'. Ye' got that?"

Vinyl nodded, but she obviously a little nervous. "Yeah, I can sure as hay try..." She gulped. I hope... She thought.

Applejack smiled. "Ah'right then. Let's get tillin'!" She exclaimed.

She threw a harness over top of her back, and then fastened one on to Vinyl. It was heavy, but she would be able to handle it.

They stood there, at one end of the garden.

"We've only got tuh' do this one garden, n' the rest are fr' Big Mac tuh' do, seein' as this is his job." She said gruffly. "Anyways," She continued. "Let's go!"

They started pulling. Pulling this thing was the most weight Vinyl had ever carried. It strained her heavily, but then she remembered: She was a unicorn! She could just use her magic and cut the work time in half!

But, no, She thought. I want to know what real work is like. No magic! All me!

they continued pulling. They'd only made it a few feet, and already both ponies were sweating. Especially Vinyl. It was a painful endeavor, but she promised herself she could do it.

"Come on, Miss Vinyl!" Applejack encouraged, noticing Vinyl's extreme amount of strain. "We can do it, yer' doin' great!"

They pulled and pulled. By the time they reached the middle of the garden, Vinyl had become drenched in sweat. It felt disgusting, and the days heat didn't help at all.

Applejack continued encouraging. "We can do it, Miss Vinyl! We're almost there! Don't let th' sweat get to ye', sweatin's great for ye'! Just keep it goin'!"

Vinyl took those words to mind, and pulled harder. The strain was ridiculously painful, but the quicker, the better.

They were just a few feet away from the other end. She could do this. If Applejack believed in her, then she could too.

She pulled harder, causing her to experience the most pain she could have ever been in. Sweat was pouring off of her as if she had just gotten out of a lake, and her blood was pumping very fast.

Finally, they made it. The tilling was done. And as soon as it was over, Vinyl fell over, absolutely exhausted.

Applejack fell over beside her, panting. She looked at Vinyl and tried her best to smile. "We... did it, Miss...pant... Vinyl...!" She barely patted Vinyl. "Yer' a... good workin' horse, Miss Vinyl.... Ah'm proud."

Vinyl looked at her, breathing heavily, and smiled appreciatively. "Thanks, Applejack... You're amazing..."

And with that, both ponies blacked out.

/\ \/ /\ \/ /\

Vinyl slowly opened her eyes. She looked around. She was in a bedroom, but not her own, nor Pinkie's guestroom. Judging from the designs on the wall, she was still at Sweet Apple Acres.

"Miss Vinyl?" Vinyl turned her head to the door. Standing there was Big Macintosh.

She smiled. "Hey, Big Macintosh... What's up?"

Big Mac smiled, softly. "Not too much, Miss Vinyl. How ye' feelin'?"

Vinyl sat up and rubbed her side. "Ow... It feels like I pulled a muscle, but otherwise, I'm good..." she looked around. "Who's room am I in?" She asked.

"Applebloom's," Big Mac replied. "You n' ma sister were passed out cold- or rather, passed out hot s' hay- in front of one of th' garden's Ah was s'posed tuh' till."

Vinyl flopped back onto the bed. "How long were we out?" She asked.

Big Mac shrugged. "Well, Ah dunno how long out there, but ye've been out in bed fr' a good hour r' so."

Vinyl grumbled. "Where's Applejack?"

"Sleepin', in 'er room." He responded. He looked at a clock on his wall. " 't's gettin' a l'il late, though. Ye'd best get back tuh' Sugarcube corner."

Vinyl nodded, and got out of the bed. "Alright..." She hugged Big Mac. "Thanks for getting us." She said.

He smiled. "No prob'lm." She was still a little shaky, so Big Mac helped her down the stairs and outside.

She turned to him. "Hey Big Mac? Can you thank Applejack for me?"

He nodded. "Eeyup, Ah can do that."

She hugged him again. "Thanks." She strode off, and waved her hoof to him. "Seeya later, Big Macintosh! Thanks again!"

He waved back. She continued walking. As much as today strained her, it felt great being able to help out.