• Published 9th May 2013
  • 2,134 Views, 69 Comments

Differences - The Dashie



Three lonely misfits band together to show everypony they are worth looking at.

  • ...
9
 69
 2,134

Band of Misfits

Today was a special day, as it was the first time Discord would be visiting Ponyville since he was reformed. I knew it would be a special day, because Twilight had sent me a letter from Canterlot saying so. Apperently, Discord was going to start a new regiment where he visits the town once a year to clean up any major chaos that comes around and that I was to prepare the accomedations for him, ranging from the places he would be staying, setting up stands where he could recieve requests of chaos to fix, prepare all the refreshments for the opening ceremony of his return, and finally write her a note when I had finished. Even as a princess, she still treats me like her little worker. You would think she would bring me to Canterlot with her so that we could be together, but no, she has be a princess on her own. I nulled these feelings, as wanted to still do what was asked of me. It wasn't every day I got to see Discord, and from what I'd heard from the others, he's seemed pretty cool now, so I was going to make sure he has a good visit.

I was on my way to the location Discord was supposed to arrive at when I ran into a recent friend of mine; Derpy Hooves. We had met after Twilight's coronation when she went off with her friends to bask in her recent status change. She was in the crowd and I was wandering around when she spotted me and said, "Hey, arent you Spike?"

"Yes"

"Arent you Twilight's pet baby dragon?"

"No, I am not. I'm her assistant. Not her pet."

"Oh, well you're still pretty cute."

"Really?"

"Yea. I don't know why somepony as cute as you has to work for someone."

"Sister, you and me both."

It was then that our friendship began as we continued talking back in Ponyville in Twilight's home, or Twilight's old home. We talked about ourselves and opened up to each other. I told her my angers about Twilight treating me like her servant and that she never showed me the gratitude I deserved unless it would make her look bad if she did not do so. She told me about her eyes, and that it was a rare condition where the effects of poison joke don't go away. You see, she used to be an eye doctor, and a very good one at that. She used to be able to see better than anypony could, even on the level of dragons, but sadly, she encountered poison joke, and her eyes got messed up. She also used to be very memorable and intellectual, but the poison joke had lowered her IQ to a klutz. We became very close during that time in Twilight's library. Now it's mine because she went off and left me, but anyway. We were simply walking along when we saw each other and started to bring up some light conversation.

"Spike!"

"Derpy, hey! What's up"

"Nothing much? What are you doing out and about?"

"Oh just getting ready for Discord's arrival."

"Wait, isn't he the guy who made Ponyville all messed up? Why are you bringing him here?"

"Well, he's good now and I'm not bringing him here; he's coming here."

"Oh, so what are you doing?"

"Setting everything up, per Twilight's instructions."

"Still getting bossed around."

"Eeyup."

We laughed but then Derpy became more serious. "Spike, I don't know how you do it."

"Do what?"

"Put up with Twilight. I mean,ya, she hatched you from your egg, but that doesn't make you endebted to her. You deserve to be able to tell her what's up and stand your ground. Promise me you will."

I looked down, as her hoof was extended, waiting for the promising claw/hoofshake confirming that I would one day defy my theoretical mother. I raised my claw, and shook her hoof. She smiled as I accepted her command.

"Deal."

She accompanied me in my duties, and actually helped me in places where I would need to hang something up. What normally would have taken me hours took Derpy and me about and hour and a half. At the end of it, I invited her over for some cider before the ceremony started, of which she gladly accepted. When we arrived at my home, we saw some bright lights coming out of the library windows. I knew his could only mean that Twilight had sent me more instructions or had reminded me of how to do things or something of the like. We went inside to see a letter on the floor.

"Is that from Twilight, Spike?"

"Isn't it always?"

She giggled as i picked up the note and started reading:

"Dear Spike,
As you know Discord is to visit Ponyville in four hours. Right now, he is preparing his speechs, as well as readying his mindset with Princess Celestia to be patient with the ponies' smaller problems. I have seen your setup from the telescope in my tower and I am content with the arrangements you have put up. I have also seen you talking to a certain grey pegasus by the name of Derpy Hooves. I must let you know that she is not the brightest of ponies, but that she can be a good friend, and I am glad to see that my departure has not deeply affected you. I would lastly like to inform you that neither I, nor either of the other princesses, will be accompaning Discord to Ponyville, so once he arrives, go ahead and get everyone at the location where he will appear at. Hope all goes well.

Princess Twilight Sparkle

Author's Note:

Hey guys. Hope you enjoy this new story. If there are any questions about this story, or even Awoken or my other stories please ask me. Thanks for reading.