• Published 6th May 2013
  • 1,248 Views, 37 Comments

MY LITTLE YAMATO - RDFan1701



When the world of Equestria is threatened with extinction, only one group of Harmonious Ponies can save the world as we know it.

  • ...
10
 37
 1,248

The Long Good-Bye

Back on the frontline things continue to grow worse and worse for the Equestrian fleet. By now everypony throughout the fleet knew their fate, but continue to fight on gallantly. Luna watched with unshaking nerve as her ship rocked and slowly became a increasingly larger target as the support ships were destroyed.

"Missile ship 12 is down!" called out a Pony from across the bridge. "Cruiser 19 is no longer transmitting transponder ID's!" announced another.

Spike turned his head to look back at Luna, "It's hopeless Princess! We're losing too many ponies, we've got to retreat!"

Luna was completely still, the thought of retreat in her mind repeating over and over. "If we fall back, this planet is lost. Equestria is next..." she looked outwards towards the Red Planet it's northern and southern poles covered in snow.

"Status of the fleet?" she asked abruptly looking at Spike.

He turned to read his screen. "We've lost 78 percent of our fleet. Correction, now 90 percent. If we stay any longer, the whole fleet will be destroyed and Equestria will be theirs!" he replied, worry covering his voice as he turned to face Luna, "Princess, please, we need to go home. We can't let Equestria be taken."

Luna looked about the bridge, Ponies young and old staring right back at her. Wanting to her to say something. Fight, surrender, retreat, anything to make them forget what was happening to Equestria and on the ship.

Alarms blared as Featherweight announced, "Gamilus ship approaching from above!"

Luna's head snapped up as she looked out of the giant glass dome above her. Watching the green menacing ship speeding towards hers. Her heart skipped several beats as she shouted, "Defensive fire now!"

From above several weapon batteries opened fire on the approaching ship. Every blast being deflected or absorbed by the armor coating the ship. Spike bit his claws as he watched the approaching doom take the hits and keep coming. But then his mouth opened in shock as the ship exploded! He then started cheering as he watched one of the fleet's missile ships came flying out of the giant fireball that was once a ship.

He then blinked and the belched loudly, catching a scroll in his hand. "From Missile Ship 17, several targets destroyed. Make your retreat now. We will cover you, protect Equestria at all costs! Tell Twilight..." Spike stopped reading as he looked up slowly. He took a deep gulp as he continued reading, trying to not cry. "Tell Twilight that I am sorry. I won't be able to keep my promise and come home. Tell her to be strong and to be brave. Tell her that Equestria needs her to be strong to make her blue again."

Luna looked down, she knew that arguing with Shining Armor was futile. When he made a decision, he followed it through, no matter the ending. "Turn the ship around. Order all remaining ships to make for Equestria at best speed."

"Princess we can't just-" Spike started to protest.

"Don't argue! We are leaving!" she shouted in return. Spike quietly nodded as he quickly wrote a message and lit it on fire, the message copying itself several times over to inform the remaining ships. However, even as the Captains got the message, the ships exploded. Until finally only Princess Luna and Shining Armor's ships remained.

"All other ships have been destroyed Princess! We're all that's left! Shining Armor's ship is moving away and taking heavy fire!" Featherweight exclaimed as the ship finished turning around and heading for the burnt orange planet that is Equestria.

Luna looked down at Spike, "Send to Shining Armor, that we thank him deeply for his sacrifice. It will not be forgotten. And wish him God speed." Spike nodded and quickly wrote the message. Sending it a moment later and quietly sitting down in his chair.

Everyone on the bridge watched as the smaller ship weaved in and out between Gamilus ships firing all of it's weapons. Destroying several before being hit itself and spinning out of control. Spike closed his eyes and looked away as the ship was struck one final time and exploded. Silence fell across the bridge as the fireball slowly extinguished by the vacuum of space.

"Thank you, Shining Armor...you will never be forgotten." Luna said somberly as the battered ship slowly headed back towards Equestria. "Spike." she said stepping away from the spot she had occupied for several long hours.

"Yes Princess?" Spike quietly responded.

"Send one more message to Canterlot. Inform them of the battle's conclusion. Report the ship's status. And then once that is completed. I want you to personally inform Twilight of Shining Armor's sacrifice. I think she would rather hear it from you, than myself as you are one of her closest friends." Luna said slowly moving towards the rear hatch.

"I'll take care of it Princess." Spike said hopping off of the small seat and following her towards the hatch. Luna's horn glowed as she used her magic to open the large metal door. Spike followed her out as the door slowly closed behind them. "It isn't your fault Princess. What Shining Armor did, was his choice."

Luna kept her gaze forward as they walked, "I know Spike. Which is why I didn't try to argue. His sacrifice saved the lives of the One Hundred and Seventy Ponies on this ship. For that he will be revered as a hero."

Spike looked up at her as they walked, "That isn't going to change how Twilight is going to feel when she finds out..." he replied quietly.

"I know...I know." Luna returned as they reached the cabin that was marked, 'Commanding Pony: Princess Luna.' Her horn once again glowed as she opened the door and stepped inside. "I need a moment Spike, please get to those messages as soon as you can." she said closing the door before Spike could protest.

Spike opened his mouth to speak but closed it as soon as the door shut. He sighed and hung his head as he slowly started moving away from Luna's Cabin. Stopping only for a brief moment as he looked out the nearest window at the shimmering stars.

"I wish this war had never happened." he said quietly as he sighed once more and headed towards his own cabin to start getting the scrolls written and to think about HOW he was going to tell Twilight that her brother was dead.

Author's Note:

Now, for those that aren't aware of the Yamato Series. The main characters older brother, Mamoru Kodai, sacrificed himself and his crew to ensure that the Admiral's ship survived to carry out the mission to save Earth. So I would GREATLY appreciate it if you guys DIDN'T dislike this chapter because I have 'killed' Shining Armor, it was the ONLY thing I could think of considering who the characters are.