• Published 1st May 2013
  • 7,087 Views, 181 Comments

Ripples - BronyWriter



The Equestria-wide fallout from the events of The Secret Life of Rarity

  • ...
15
 181
 7,087

Vigil Just by Baileyjrob

Scared whispers float through the air as a red maned unicorn named Vigil Just walks down the street. He is confused by these whispers. He knows what they are speaking of, that isn’t hard to guess. As to why they, and everypony as of late, feel like they needed to whisper, he can’t guess. There’s nopony to hide this information from, except for young fillies and colts. Even so, the likeliness of them overhearing is small, and understanding even less so.

Vigil approaches a large building in the middle of a road. This place used to be a common business place for many ponies, but now it stands desolate. And why wouldn’t it? After all, it was where the Ponyville Butcher worked, in both senses, and lived. Carousel Boutique. A large fashion shop turned home and later turned evil lair.

Vigil knocks on the door, but receives no answer. He had been hoping to talk to Sweetie Belle, seeing as she was the sister of the Butcher herself, but no such luck. Instead, he leaves a note he had prepared should this be the case.

Dear Sweetie Belle,

I would like to begin by sending my condolences. Your sister was loved by many, and her death is saddening to me, and surely to others, though they may not realize it. Many are blinded by grief, and understandably so… for them.

Your sister was a good pony with so much potential and so much good in her, and it was a waste of life for her to die. Many ponies probably are calling you a monster for being related to her, but know that it is a blessing to be related to a pony as brilliant as her.

Sincerely,

Kira

Vigil smiles and turns to walk away. Kira was a nickname he had come up with for himself, and it had stuck. No pony else called him it, he just liked the name personally. It was helpful to stay anonymous as well. He didn’t need his name being broadcasted.

Vigil’s walk home is pretty normal. Once he reaches his small abode, he sits on a bench outside and watches the street. Ponies are much more scarce on the roads than usual, and those that are out often walk with their heads lowered to the dirt roads, only looking up to see where they are going. It’s peaceful. It’s serene.

Look at this. Here we have peace. Ponies see Rarity as a monster… but she wasn’t.

Vigil gets up from his bench and walks inside, opening the door to his house and stepping onto his welcome mat, closing the door behind him.

She killed the wicked… she cleansed the malicious from Equus!

Vigil walks across the hardwood floor of his house, his hooves clopping across the ground as he walks. He approaches what seems to be an ordinary closet.

Rarity was a savior, nay… she was like a Goddess. Punishing the wicked and creating peace.

Vigil opens the “closet” door and walks downstairs into the darkness below.

Rarity did what no other pony dared do: she took justice into her own hooves. She did the right thing.

Vigil reaches his basement and turns on the light. A room illuminated by a single light. A table with straps on it sits in the middle. A large drawer sits against a wall.

She passed righteous judgement on the evil, and called us to do the same.

Vigil looks through his drawer and shuffles through many strange tools until pulling out a very unusually sharp knife. He grins as he looks at the silver blade.

Many didn’t hear, but I… I heard…

Vigil examines the knife, sliding the flat side across his hoof. He holds it against his hoof for a bit before making some slashing motions with it and holds it in front of him, shining off the one light.

I heard her call… I will do her last bidding.

Vigil stares at the knife. He struggles to hold it, as his bottom lip quivers and his jaw tightens. Many ponies were cruel, and mean spirited. Downright evil. They deserved to die!

So why can’t he bring himself to use this knife? He imagines stabbing an evil pony, and he feels that normal giddiness rise up within him, but this time he notices something else he feels. He feels sick to his stomach.

He imagines the corpse of his pretend victim. All the normal feelings of a job well done come in, this time accompanied by the crying friends and family of the victim… the ones who did nothing wrong.

He yells and slams the knife into the desk.

“Forgive me Rarity, for I am a coward!” he yells as the knife falls against the desk. He lowers his head and tightens his eyes, holding back tears. He can’t bring himself to do it! He refuses the path of righteousness. The wicked deserve to die! He walks the path of evil… he is wicked.

“You have failed me…” a sweet voice calls from behind him. He turns around and sees none other than the Butcher herself standing there, frowning at him. He gasps and bows down.

“Bringer of ultimate justice! I meant no disrespect! I hear your call!” he says, keeping his head lowered, shielding his eyes from her majesty. She had known what had to be done. She could do it. She hadn’t been a coward. She was a beautiful and shining example of greatness.

“And yet you defy it?” Rarity says, lifting an eyebrow. She steadily approaches him. Vigil is awestruck by the majesty of God.

“Forgive me Goddess of justice and truth! I am cowardly!” he says, raising his head to the sky and yelling.

“Cowardice is unacceptable in a perfect and just world,” her awe inspiring majesty says. She walks around Vigil over to the desk, grabs the knife from it, and walks back over to Vigil. Vigil stares in wide eyed wonder and admiration as the knife comes down.

I am unworthy, God! I am wicked and evil!

Pain, and blackness.

Death Report

Victim (Vigil Just) was found with multiple stab wounds through the chest area in the basement of 2519 Sparkler Av. at 6:01 PM. Neighbors reported hearing loud yells coming from the house prior to the death. The angle of the stab wounds implies suicide. A bloody knife, presumably the murder weapon, is found near the body. The death was not instantaneous. The victim wrote on a wall with his blood the phrase “GOD IS ANGRY. GOD IS BEAUTIFUL”

More details are still being reported.