I Just Want a Comment 3,674 members · 15,722 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3

"Silent Wings" by Indigo

ESilent Wings
Silverstream hadn’t always been deaf, but she'd always had a loving family who were willing to support her every step of the way. Gallus had always been deaf, and wasn’t so lucky.
Nitro Indigo · 7.3k words  ·  56  3 · 1.4k views

As of this review, only the first 2 chapters have been published.

If you’re looking for a good E rated story that still tackles serious characters, this would not be a bad place to find it. “Silent Wings” reimagines some of MLP’s canonic characters as members of the deaf community, each with their own context of how they navigate their world with their disability.

The style is, however, a little lacklustre, and it can feel like you’re just being told that things are happening rather than being drawn into the story. This mostly happens with the exposition, and it is actually rescued by the fact that the narration can sometimes sound like a storyteller speaking to the reader, rather than a list of events. So, while parts of it can be a flaw, I did not find it to detract from the story too much as I continued reading.

I found it interesting that the author makes the stylistic choice to use brackets in place of quotes when characters are using sign language. Since quotation marks are synonymous with dialogue, it serves as a visual aid to how different their mode of communication is.

This story has a lot of potential. I would like to see more interactions between the main characters and characters who are not accommodating to the deaf community because it really accentuates the struggles of these alternate versions of the MLP characters, and seeing more of their unique problems would further solidify their separation from the main canon.

Do you do other reviews or was this a one time thing?

Yes, I periodically post requests to accept stories and review them. I think, however, this is not that efficient or fair for everyone since I do them randomly. I have a number of stipulations for the stories I review so it's important for me to post those. However, I think it'll be easier and more organized if I just have those limitations on my user page, and people can go there to see if they fit my criteria. If you want me to do a review for yours or someone else's story, just head to my page now, the info should be up.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3