School for New Writers 5,013 members · 9,630 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11

I need help writing fanfiction

Any specific questions you need answers to? Or just in general? I don't have much experience, but I don't mind trying to help you out wherever you need it.

I need to at least write a prologue for my story first! But I

I suggest to just write without thinking, I usually do that and then I go back and read it while rewording and changing things if I ever get stuck. But I only do that if know what I want to write, if you're having trouble figuring out what you want to write then its a whole other problem entirely. If I find myself needing help with the ladder, I usually write multiple scenarios and then I proceed to do what I mentioned above after figuring out which one I want to use.

If your problem is just not liking the wording you used and you're stuck not knowing what or how to change it, getting a second set of eyes to read through it is a massive help.

may I ask what you're planning on writing? I'm sort of curious about it, also it seems you're reply was sent before you could finish it.

Side note: your username is the exact same name I'm currently using for my character in a d&d campaign I'm playing in. It even has the same spelling lol. I just thought it was a cool coincidence.

Instead of thinking of writing, "Fanfiction," and all of the stuff associated with it, good and or bad, just think about writing a story.

The first or nearly first thing you need to do is to know what your story is about.
If you can say, "My story is about...," then you know what your story is about.
This is important because you can weed out extra stuff, and just focus on what you need to do.

You don't want to be wandering around in your story, readers can tell when the writer has no clue what to do next.

I would recommend all 8 lessons of my writing blog: https://www.fimfiction.net/group/916/school-for-new-writers/thread/486193/directory-swordtunes-writing-lessons

Can't really give targeted help if I don't know what you're struggling with.

7669942 It feels too much like an alternative universe, IMO.

In terms of your technical writing skills (language proficiency, grammar, syntax) you're pretty solid, which is actually a big plus. I think where you need to start now is to practice the creative writing side. You should focus on lessons 3, 4, and 5 because you're focusing too much on painting the entire picture of your world in the prologue.

Think of the prologue almost like flash fiction, a very short story that introduces the reader to the world via some kind of interesting event. Though you're telling me details about this world you have imagined, your prologue currently doesn't give me much reason to care.

Dwarves by Markus Heitz does a good job of his intro by starting off with a battle between dwarves and orcs. I read through the prologue because it was its own story and it made the reader care about the character within it. The reader doesn't need to learn everything from the prologue, just enough to contextualize the story that's about to come in chapter 1.

Angius
Group Admin

We generally don't permit new threads being posted on our forum, see the relevant rule.

You can discuss off-topic things in the cafeteria thread, and ask questions either in the study hall thread or on our Discord server

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11