School for New Writers 5,013 members · 9,630 stories
Comments ( 187 )
  • Viewing 151 - 200 of 187

A keythong is a griffon but in the absent of wing it has spikes on its body. This creature was mention in an old fanfic called A Journey of Bonding. It is said to be a distant cousin of the griffons. It would be interesting to see those in the show.

Goldenwing
Group Admin

Looking up the picture, that actually seems like a pretty interesting creature. I think I might even find a spot for it in my story. And I'll definitely bring it up in some of the tabletop campaigns I run.

Yes. Spread the knowledge like wild fire.

It’s my birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

is there anywhere to find a co writer or editor on SFNW

One question has been bothering me since the moment I joined this group...
Whoever came up with the group's name, and did they do it on purpose?
I am seeing the abbreviation "NSFW" far too often lately, and most of the time it's somewhere around this group! :facehoof:

Cryosite
Group Contributor

School For New Writers = SFNW.
Not Suitable For Work = NSFW.

Little differences do matter. Part of learning to be a better writer is being able to notice and appreciate those subtle differences. Even something like capitalizing a letter can entirely change the meaning of a whole sentence: "I helped my uncle Jack off his horse," means something completely different if you don't capitalize "Jack" correctly.

Well, I clearly see the difference in the abbreviations, but only after my brain's automatic text parsing is done being all "WTF!?" and makes me actually pay attention to the word in question.

Whenever eyes see an "unknown" but "familiar" word, human brain tends to just pick the closest one it knows, often without passing any information about the potential mismatch further on. In this case, I suspect mine ignores a single letter being moved, (NSFNW), and only realizes that something's wrong when it does not make sense semantically. And I'm pretty sure that I'm not alone.

Also, I'd be careful with such potentially ambiguous sentences, unless ambiguity is intended. As luck would have it, there was an especially big speck of dust stuck to my screen in the exact right spot when I was reading your reply, and on my current setup both capital and lowercase "J"s look pretty much identical anyway. (The fact that I need to clean my screen more often and maybe use larger font is beside the point. Natural languages are highly redundant for a reason.)

Cryosite
Group Contributor

You missed the actual sentiment of my post. Get better at reading.

What you're describing are flaws in your reading and reading comprehension ability. They are not the fault of the writer, but difficulties you must overcome as a reader. Yes, clean your screen. Yes, do actually pay attention to little details instead of relying so heavily on your autopilot. More sophisticated writing in not just literature, but in poetry, songwriting, and non-fiction, relies on nuanced and careful word choice, rhyme, meter, and so on. As you get better at reading and are able to notice and smoothly comprehend these things, the better reader you become.

Getting better at writing involves ignoring the complaints you bring up and not dumbing down writing simply because such poor reading ability is often in the feedback. Don't write poorly just because others do, or to accommodate bad readers. Explore what language can do, and reach for higher heights.

The "ambiguous" sentence was chosen exactly because of the way you received it. It is a standard example of what I'm talking about. If you actually read well, then you can confidently see the capital "J" and know what I mean. A poor reader requires extra words to assure them of the proper meaning. Thus a poor writer will provide those extra words. It is a cycle of poor ability leading to poor ability.

I know that the ambiguity (in the quote, not in your statement) was intentional, I was trying to joke. And the dust will be back way too quickly. Regularly doing wet cleaning in a cramped dorm room, where half the stuff isn't even mine, is way too much pain.

As for that "inability leading to inability" idea, I don't see unintentional puns, innuendos and such any different than a crappy sounding phrase, thus my solution is to either rephrase it or make it intentional. Making sure that readers think exactly what you want them to isn't half bad if done properly. I don't think it would be oh so bad not to call that uncle by his name in every single sentence, and if unintentionally left "as is" it will make many readers notice something that is not part of the scene you are building.

For your advice not to dumb down writing for others, thanks. I do often have trouble restraining myself from explaining everything, though it's usually due to fear that others won't figure out something that is obvious to me as one who came up with the idea. (Or maybe due to playing too much Ace Attorney.)

I didn't miss the sentiment, I just tried to explain why I think it's not quite applicable. You cannot just hack through how vision and some other functions of brain work. Try googling optical illusions and then actually seeing through any of them, not merely understanding that what you see isn't real.

Yes, it's possible to read by whole sentences or even paragraphs, and applying such speed reading techniques while reading for pleasure is stupid. Most of the time, at least. I'm guilty of getting impatient and just scanning over various descriptions, especially ones interrupting dialogue. Characters might think or notice something in a fraction of a second, but properly reading it takes time, and I'd rather get slightly imprecise facial expressions or similar than have to pause my imagination mid-scene. Sorry, I got sidetracked.

It is also possible to read by letters. However, that's the same tradeoff of speed versus precision. Just like it's imposible, or at least very very hard, to read a text by whole paragraphs and get every single detail, it's also impossible to read by whole words and notice every single typo. But if you try reading by letters, your reading speed will plummet hard. Searching for typos is always slower and more painful than just reading the same text, and it's harder to see the big picture while doing so. When reading for pleasure, you likely see only whole words, not their parts, and mistaking an unfamiliar word for a word you know usually isn't a sign that you are doing it all wrong.

Having said that, please let me return to the original question. Even if I described my own brain's "flaws", they are pretty darn common. I've joined SFNW slightly over a month ago, and I've known the other abbreviation for… It's getting close to a decade, I think. Similar would be true for many other newcomers. Many of them, just like me, would see, for a few times at least, the more familiar "NSFW" instead of "SFNW" unless they really look at the word. And finally, it would not be overly difficult to predict that outcome. All I was asking is whether such name was picked by accident, or if my facepalming is thanks to someone having fun. I also had some fun with it, but deconstructing that (un?)intentional joke spoiled the experience a little bit.

tl;dr: But I've spent so much time writing it! :´( Oh well, maybe I should have been writing fiction instead. See ya!

I shall reveive this group!

FOOD FIGHT!!!!
*Brings out a pinkie cannon and starts to shoot cupcakes out of her mane*

Becuase why not

Cryosite
Group Contributor

Because roleplaying and spam are both against site rules.

:fluttershysad:
Im not the first pony to do this

Is there any way to get in touch with a site admin

You know the feeling? You have ideas, BY CELESTIA YOU HAVE IDEAS (and not just for this fandom, for your other fandoms too) it's just PUTTING THEM INTO WRITING. Finding the right words, the right progression...you know. Any advice?

• Viewing 151 - 200 of 187