School for New Writers 5,012 members · 9,620 stories
Comments ( 23 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 23

I just read this story, BRVR in Equestria, and I need to start off that this is a prime example for why these stories almost (This will be important later, that's why I italicized it) usually fail.

This story is about BRVR, or Brvr, or Brevor or "Brother," as the author explained; some kind of Pikachu creepypasta based on some unknown version of the aforementioned term called "Pokemon Dead Channel." As you can see, he did so in a way that created a 1:4 LDR (Like-Dislike Ratio), and has drawn some comments (Advice from me and FillyRarity, and angry backlash in response). Now, let's go over why these don't always work.

Okay, now, it's no surprise that the Creepypasta "Slenderman" has managed to slither his tentacles into the FiM fandom, and the now-apparent "Slendermane" has been put into fanfictions. Now, while I find this thing to be slightly overrated, can somewhat work, nonetheless.

Unfortunately, this has people getting the idea that any 'Pasta can work well. This, though, is where it can start out sour.

Now, it is no mystery that some of these internet stories are commonly spread around, hell, some like the previously mentioned Slenderman caught like wildfire. But, taking one that you just like with little explanation, like this "BRVR" creates conflict since it doesn't make a good deal of sense.

In the end, it's not really the story itself, but how you portray it and describe it. This is very similar to my lecture on niche subjects (Which nopony ever read ;-;), so keep this in mind: Explaining is Key.

With that, I close my short speech, g'night, ya' dinguses.

FiMfic isn't linking my URL's, despite it being in the proper format, so I apologize.

I have a complaint!

I have to agree on the Slenderman/Slendermane part. Definitely overrated, and slenderman himself isn't nearly as scary as many people make him out to be.

I think lots of things are overrated though. Especially within this fandom...

Haven't really noticed a lot of fics based off of creepypastas though. Wouldn't bother with them if I did, anyway.

669499 669474 Slendermane is my mascot, and you find him... overrated.

669479 Same thing happens with me and youtube videos.

This story is about BRVR, or Brvr, or Brevor or "Brother," as the author explained; some kind of Pikachu creepypasta based on some unknown version of the aforementioned term called "Pokemon Dead Channel

So did he just copy/paste it? Or did he base his fic off it and incorporate it's aspects into FiM?

you might have to go like this with the link [.url=http://www.site.com]Words. Without the period after the bracket.

A lot of creepy pastas are around, i havent really heard about one thats done extremely well. In most cases we already know what might happen due to what the creepy pasta is associated with

PegasusKlondike
Group Admin

669474 Nice little niche rant there. Good stuff to know.

669474 I agree. In most creepypastas, the monster is beyond able to have an actual character; they usually just have actions to murder and/or torture some random dude, and all we know is what the look like and that they kill. An "X in Equestria" story with these characters are just the same thing; this monster kills ponies for no apparent reason. The end, nothing else happens. If someone were to do something with a creepypasta monster, they should at least be original and not just have it be a killing machine like every other story.

I think we should call it Slendermeme.

I think we should call it Slendermeme.

Oh joy. This wonderful piece of work again. :facehoof:

There really is no surprise why this particular fic doesn't work. Terrible grammar, terrible writing, terrible descriptions, and in the end, a terrible story.

Simply looking at the first line of the DESCRIPTION, one of the most important aspects of a great story (besides the title) makes me want to hang myself.

BRVR ends up in Equestria after killing a Missingno.

As for all Creepypasta/urban legend crossovers with MLP, I slightly disagree with you TehAlphaGamer. Sure, lots of them are simply, like GoldenEagle59 said, "X in Equestria", and people will be discouraged not to read them, but the story itself really depends on how the writer portrays it. You can't state everything about this one category is total crap. It's like saying all MLP:FiM fanfics are all cute and fluffy and are composed of simply Pony AxPony B shippings. I'm sure there do exist good and well-written Creepypasta/urban legend crossovers out there that stand out from the rest of the manure that surrounds them.

However, I can certainly say that this story is not one of those exceptions.

Actually, speaking of this, I need some help here...

Because of my "Insults," as he calls them, I got this PM:

"Scourgefan:

you are nothing but a barrel with nothing better to do than insult other people. let's face it, it's what barrels like you are best at. but I'm a Bro, anti barrel follower of Pewdiepie, so i know how to handle barrels. everyone says if you ignore them, they'll get bored. this is false, it'll make them angrier. i have to fight against you and your barrel friends."

Does anyone know what a "Barrel" is in this scenario?

I can do a barrel roll, does that count?

Sorry for causing confusion, I did state that not all of them are bad. However, Mr. Barrel-Slinger McDonkeykongus here and his idea for a story can turn out as complete and utter horseshit.

672255 Nothing like a bad story idea that no one knows sprinkled with some shitty grammar on top. And that's the reason why we have the Dislike button. :twilightsmile:

Also, about the barrels in your private message, it's a long running joke from PewDiePie about how "barrels are evil and are going to take over the planet". I watched a couple of his videos and given a couple of shameful laughs at his work, but using that as an insult? He might as well as called you stupid and a loser. Bleh.

Also, I wonder why my replies aren't working. Something going on with FiMFiction?

Still, I dun' understand why everyone likes PewDiePie, he's just an overgrown prepube' that screams at everything he plays. I watched a video of his, it was...eh...okay... I like other Let's Players that focus on games I like (Pokemon, for example), people like Chuggaconroy or Marriland.

672696 Huh... You just reminded me of another famous manchild screaming immature gamer... http://www.youtube.com/user/tobuscus
It's really a mystery why, in fact, any the of the stuff on YouTube is as popular as it is. Let's see... We have a grown man ranting about random viral videos no one cares about, an Asian kid who constantly talks to lamps in place of friends, two stoneheads drunk making random ass videos...

Wow, people are pathetic nowadays. XD

Oh, Pokemon? Actually me and my friend were actually ranting about the Pokemon titles. They apparently used up every single color in existance for game titles, so now they're moving onto letters. Oh joy! 26 more games to buy! Afterwards, they could probably make games titled after stars in the universe, or numbers. Pokemon 57 FTW! :twilightsmile:

I'm actually more into FPS games. And no, I'm not a CoD player. I played the hell out of Left 4 Dead 2 and Deus Ex: Human Revolution, so now I'm at PlanetSide 2. I'm loving the game so far. The battles are just so huge it's awesome. If only my computer could run it without melting down completely. :applejackunsure:

XiF

671467 Of course. That's all you need to know to succeed in life.

669479 Your problem seems to be that you left out the "http://". I bet if you put that in, it'd work.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 23