The Lunaverse 2,571 members · 202 stories
Comments ( 44 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 44
Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

“Enough!” bellowed Celestia Invicticus, Alicorn of the Sun and Rightful Queen of Equestria.

She ran her burning gaze over the members of her court. Her ambassador Kindle had immediately prostrated himself before her and her student Smoke had quickly followed suite standing just behind her friend. Their recent argument with Zecora apparently forgotten. The Zebra, although not quite as deferent had likewise lowered her head. Behind them her Herald Terror wing frankly looked bored kicking a few loose stones aside with his talons and watching as they fell into the lava pit below. Hovering above her the latest member of her court, the Djinn Bogucu Yangin looked somewhat amused at the antics of her fellows. Over them all towered the great red Dragon Solrathichanon, he met her gaze with his blind eyes for several seconds before turning aside almost dismissively. Corona ground her teeth at the disrespect but she needed to deal with the immediate issues first.

“It does no good for my court to be so divided,” she exclaimed.

“But my Queen...” began Kindle, “with all reverence, it is obvious that...”

She silenced him with a glance. “Leave me! All of you!” she exclaimed, “I will consider your arguments before acting.”

“Thank you, your excellency,” said Kindle slowly backing away from her continuing to mouth platitudes. The other members of the court followed one by one, once they reached the huge doors at the far end of the throne room they split up each going their own way through the lair which Celestia now called home. Solrathichanon dived into the lava pool below her throne splashing the area with molten rock which would have destroyed much of the furnishing if it had not been protected by Celestia’s power. With a further nod she bid her salamander guards to leave as well closing the doors behind them.

After a moment of silence Celestia let out a frustrated sigh. If she had fully remembered how tedious running a royal court could be she might have remained in the sun for another millenia! But it was her place to suffer for her ponies after all. In truth the argument had been over a small matter, Kindle had arranged for a large number of her followers to settle in the
nearest pony settlement where they hid their true nature from their new neighbours. Kindle believed that their numbers were now enough to openly proclaim their allegiance to her and as always Smoke supported him. The unicorn was an excellent student, but wasn’t an independent thinker. Meanwhile Zecora and Yangin had advised patience fearing that revealing her supporters too early risked retaliation by the Equestian armed forces and possibly the discovery of their base. Terror Wing only wanted to enforce her will on any of the population who did not follow her, and Solrathichanon would be happy for an excuse to burn the whole settlement, and it’s population, to ash if it remained a problem.

The main problem was not what to do in this situation, it was how fragmented her court was. All of them had reasons to follow her, or at least in Solrathichanon’s case they had similar goals, but except for a few they had no real reason to want to work together. Of course she didn’t need them to regain her throne, she was Celestia, she didn’t need anycreature’s help but they had skills that would make her task easier. Solrathichanon was one of the few creatures alive who might be able to physically challenge her sister, if only for a time. Kindle was a charismatic orator, able to sway the common pony to her rule and his associate had it in her to become quite an impressive mage. Likewise Zecora and Yangin had access to exotic magics which were useful to her cause. Even Terror Wing was a skilled fighter and the magics she was wrought on him meant he was almost unbeatable by conventional means.

Still all they did was spend their time bickering amongst themselves rather than aiding her. Although from what she had heard her sisters court did little better, still they managed to govern the country with some efficiency, despite their corruption. Chewing at her tongue she considered what she could do to try and meld her court into a more cohesive group. Her thoughts were interrupted by an internal twinge, it was almost time to lower the sun. She sighed to herself, at this time of year it seemed that no sooner has she raised it then it was time to put it away for the night again. In her youth she and Luna had tried out various other patterns of day and night throughout the year before settling into the current schedule, maybe once she had returned to her rightful throne she should look over some of her discarded plans?

Although she could control her celestial orb from any point on, or off, the planet she preferred to be able to view the sun as it was lowered. For a moment she started to gather the power to teleport to the peak of her lair which was her preferred spot for her duties but then she paused. She still had a few minutes and it would feel good to stretch her legs and wings for a change. She stood up from her throne and regally trotted towards the door.

“~The Fire of Friendship lives in our hearts~”

Celestia’s ears twitched as she returned to her chambers after completing her duty. Was that singing? The tune seemed familiar.

“~As long as it burns, we cannot drift apart~”

The Queen turned the corner and was surprised to come across the small figure of her student. She had not known that Smoke was such a talented singer. She realized that her journey had taken her past the doors to the chambers where most of her pony followers resided. The unicorn was used her aura to affix some sort of plant material to the ceiling.

“What are you doing?” she asked.

With a shrek Smoke leapt almost her own height into the air before spinning around. The sprig dropped from her grasp, for a moment both mare’s eyes flickered between each other and the fallen greenery which Celestia recognised as mistletoe before Smoke’s aura grabbed it again and hid it behind her. “Your majesty!” she gasped before taking a deep breath and giving a near perfect bow. “I’m sorry I didn’t hear you.”

Celestia waved away her protests. “It is of no matter. What are you doing?”

“Oh, um, well Hearth’s Warming is the day after tomorrow and I thought it would be nice to put up a few decorations.” She waved a hoof and Celestia noticed for the first time that the walls around were covered with greenery and tinsel.

“Ah,” said Celestia, “do ponies still celebrate Hearth’s Warming? Even after all this time?” She supposed she should not have been all that surprised, the festival was much older than even her original reign but so much else seemed to have changed over the years that she had quite forgotten that it happened at this time of year. A smile drifted over her face as she through back to the grand feasts that her sister and her used to host each year and the gifts they used to exchange. She rested a hoof against the golden boots she now wore, recently reclaimed from a museum, Luna had originally given her this quad for the holiday.

“Oh yes!” exclaimed Smoke breaking Celestia’s train of thought. “There’s all sorts of traditions, food, presents, songs, other rituals.” Her eyes glanced back at the mistletoe and her cheeks glowed.

Celestia couldn’t help but smile at her student. Although she herself did not partake in carnal activities her folio as keeper of the sun did include fertility, she understood the significance of the vegetation. Smoke’s infatuation with Kindle was poorly hidden, it was a shame he didn’t seem to feel the same about his assistant, she wanted all of her little ponies to be happy.

“Um, is there anything I can do for you, your majesty?” asked Smoke looking awkward. “I did not think we had a lesson due this week.”

“We do not, at least you do not.” The mention of Hearth’s Warming had sparked an idea in her divine brain, a way to attempt to bring her court together. In the same way that the various tribes of ponies had been brought together all those millenia ago. “For a change maybe you can educate me? Tell me more about how Hearth’s Warming is celebrated in this age.”

“You summoned us your highness?” asked Kindle. For the second time in as many hours the whole of Celestia’s court were present in the throne room. Unusually Snoke was the first one present and was standing by the queens seat overshadowed by its mass.

“Indeed I did, my Voice,” Celestia proclaimed.

“You have reached a decision, mighty one? Shall I order your servants to reveal their true loyalties?”

“No, I am still deliberating on that matter, instead there is another issue I wish to discuss with you all. It is my understanding that the day after tomorrow is Hearth’s Warming?”

“What?” exclaimed Terror Wing cocking his head in confusion. “What’s that?”

“I believe it is a pony festival, they say they defeated the Windigo, although I am quite sceptical,” said Zecora.

“What’s a pony festival got to do with anything? Will there be a feast?” he licked his beak.

“Hearth’s Warming is about more than just the defeat of the Windigo,” said Kindle turning to the rest of the court. “It is also about the founding of Equestia, and the power of the Sun to overcome the cold.”

“Yeah, Fire melts Ice,” said Yangin conjuring a ball of flame and tossing it from hand to hand. “I would have through you ponies would have learnt that earlier.”

“Indeed the festival has many meanings,” said Celestia trying to head off a further argument amongst her staff. “I am most interested in it’s role in showing that the disparate tribes of Ponykind could be brought together to defeat a common enemy. For too long you have wasted your energy fighting and bickering amongst yourselves. If we are to defeat my sister I require unity!” She gazed around the small crowd, they all seemed al least slightly cowed. “I have looked into how Hearth’s Warming is currently celebrated and I believe the exchange of presents is still popular.”

“Of course your majesty, I would lay all that I have at your hooves, I would sacrifice my very life as a gift to you,” said Kindle prostrating himself.

Celestia struggled to stop her eyes rolling. Kindle’s loyalty was refreshing compared to most of her allies, but he did tend to overdo things. “That will not be necessary my Voice. I have decided that we will carry out what I believe is called a,” she glanced over to Smoke, “a Hearth’s Warming Helper. My student has placed a token representing each of you in a bag.” Smoke levitated the item forwards and gave it a shake. “You will each take a single token from the bag and you will then provide the individual it represents with a gift. The gifts will be exchanged at a feast I will have the servants provide on Hearth’s Warming itself!”

“If you choose your own token, you put it back,” added Smoke, “and, um, you can exchange tokens with somecreature else if they agree.”

“What!” exclaimed Solrathicharnon, “You expect me to... give somecreatue a gift!” The words seemed to be physically painful for the great dragon to force from his lips.

“Yes, I do wyrm,” said Celestia calmly staring up at the larger creature. “In fact I command it! I would have my court show common decency to each other, and acknowledge that they will work together. Is that understood?” It was several long moments until the dragon turned away.

“Of course,” he grumbled.

“Good.”

“We will of course also provide you with tribute as well your majesty,” added Kindle. “It would only be fair that you receive the most presents.”

Corona considered for a moment, presents did sound nice, then she shook her head. “No, I am a generous ruler,” she noted, “but I will take part in the ‘Helper’ as well,” she summoned a small representation of her cutie mark and dropped it into the bag. “You may begin!”

Smoke gave a small bob and trotted down the steps with the bag towards the crowd below.

Last year we had a writing challenge based on Best Gift Ever including the L-verse Mane 6 which I think worked out quite well. While we were planning there was some discussion about doing the same with Team Corona so I thought we could give it a go this year.

I doubt this is going to be canon but it is supposed to be set during the winter of season 2 (which means Bogucu Yangin shouldn’t have appeared yet, Spike might still be about and the events of Voice of the Sun and Dragon Coronation haven't occurred yet, but I’m happy to bend the timeline if anyone wants any of those being referenced).

The characters easily available are: -

Corona (Queen of Equestria)
Kindle (Voice of the sun)
Smoke (Corona’s student)
Terror Wing (Herald of the Sun)
Zecora (Vizier)
Solrathicharnon (Token Evil team member)
Bogucu Yangin (Corona’s Bestie)

If people are interested each of you can choose one of the above characters to write a story about and randomly gets assigned another character they have to get a present for, they then write a short story (no set limit but at least 1K words) about how they get the present. If anyone wants to write stories for multiple characters that fine although I’ll give time (at least the weekend, probably a week) for all interested parties to choose their first character before any second ones are handed out. If we get more interest then there are extra background Salamanders and cultists which can be used.

The characters can exchange the creature they're due to give a gift to, but this should be done in universe i.e. you can PM another author and ask to swap but you should both add this fact into your stories.

The story starts in the eventing on the day before Hearth's Warming Eve and the feast is due mid day on Hearth’s Warming so the overall time period is about 40 hours. There is a settlement a half days flight away where shopping can be done (unnamed at the moment but I’m considering making it Hope Hollows it anyone wants to use the Rainbow Roadtrip cast) Corona has also set up a teleport link for quick travel. The settlement has a sizable undercover Corona cultist population.

Ideally the chapters should be finished by the 1st December to leave time to make any continuity alterations so that they all fit together. Once that’s done we'll write the chapter where the presents are exchanged probably with each author creating a further few paragraphs explaining what happens.

Any further clarification needed please PM me or post here so we can discuss things.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

Oh, and I call dibs on Smoke as my gift giver.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

I’m cool with taking Corona!

thatguyvex
Group Contributor

I might give this a shot, although I got to think about who I might use for it. Maybe Kindle...?

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

Would kind of be funny (and a little sad) if Smoke gets anyone but Kindle and Kindle gets anyone but Corona. You know both of them would be desperately trying to switch.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

I would imagine most of the stories would be them trying to hunt down exactly the token they want (and I have already randomly picked out who has each token) maybe spending so much time on it they don't actually have time to get a present.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

Actually a potentially funny thing concerning Solrath’s just occurred to me. He’s, uh...blind. So he’ll probably have no idea who he got. Although, mind, I’m pretty sure he’s going to do the same thing no matter who he gets.

Everypony in Hope’s Hollow screamed in terror as the ancient dragon landed in the town square, or near enough to it. He did crush a smaller building as he did. He picked up the nearest pony. “Bring me a present, or I eat this one,” he proclaimed.

Emeral Bookwise
Group Admin

Heh... as amusing as that might be, I imagine Corona must have standing orders about keeping a low profile that would prevent Solrath from doing anything so overt.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

I figured that out, he feels over the token with his tongue, it gives him an idea of the shape and he figures out who it's meant to represent. Of course he's not happy about who he got, but that would be the same regardless of who it was.

I guess Draconic probably doesn't have a word for gift or present.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

And that's how Kerfuffle lost her leg.

She's just to cute for even Solrath to eat but maybe a little nibble here and there.

"None of you saw me, right!" growled the dragon. The entire population of the town stared up at him eyes wide. "Right?" he repeated. As one they all nodded. "Good!" that should get Corona off his back.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

I've finished my first chapter as Smoke now.

If anyone wants to look over it, here's the link.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

Are you still deciding or are you set on Kindle? Once you're happy I'll send you the confirmation of who your character picked.

thatguyvex
Group Contributor

Yup, I'll take Kindle.

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

As amusing as this would be, I don't think I know any of the characters well enough to write this well. I do look forward to seeing what comes of this, though. :)

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

Well several of them are enough of a blank slate to allow you to write however you want.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

As I've finished Smoke and not all the characters have been taken up I'll try to write something for Terror Wing over the next few weeks.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

I've finished my second chapter as Terror Wing.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

I'm on to my third story now, I'm giving Zecora a go.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

And that's Zecora done

Unless anyone else wants it I'll move on to Yangin in a few days, at least I have an idea for the present she's going to give.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

7067940 7045471

Just thought I’d give some encouragement. I’ve planned out both Corona’s and Solrath’s chapters; I admit to not starting them yet but I probably will this week. And if nothing else, you’ve definitely started writing again, Talon!

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

True that.

I've not done much on the Yangin chapter, although I do at least have an idea for the present.

I've written most of the final chapter which will have the actual present giving slotted into it, I hope to get the epilogue with Celestia and Luna done this week as well. The main issue is that with December here and various Christmassy things due I won't have much free time over the next few weeks to write.

thatguyvex
Group Contributor

I've got about two thousand words of Kindle's story done, and will be focusing on finishing it this week. I'll probably put up what I have sometime tomorrow, just so people can get a glance at it.

thatguyvex
Group Contributor

So this is what I have so far.

I should be able to finish it by the end of the week, barring any unforeseen circumstances.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

I've given it a quick look and the biggest issue I can see is that it doesn't fit at all with the chapter I wrote relating to Smoke. I don't think it's entirely un recoverable but when I have a chance to look through it a bit more I'll see what I can do to my story to fit the two together.

thatguyvex
Group Contributor

Alright, I'd say what I have for now is about as close to done as I can make mine, since logically any further scenes would be happening at Hearth's Warming itself.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

Ok, I've given it a look over and I like it.

I've altered my Smoke based story a bit to link into what happens in your's so the chronology works out. Hopefully you don't mind me running some of your scene's from her perspective.

If you're happy with what you've written the only extra bit I need from you now is a few paragraphs to fit into the final chapter covering the actual giving of the gift and the receivers reaction.

thatguyvex
Group Contributor

That shouldn't be a problem, just need to know a bit more precisely what you need? Is it a few paragraphs of Kindle arriving with the gift, or actually giving it to Solrath? Just need to know the specifics of what the paragraphs should entail.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

I'll PM what I've written for some of the other gift givers.

It's basically a chunk to fit into the last chapter where each character gives the gift and the receivers reaction. I'll be editing them a bit to get them all to fit together but hopefully not that much.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

7077399 7077315

Hmm, I was just looking over all the entries and only just now noticed a small gaffe - Corona is being referred to as, well, "Corona" throughout, but she hates being referred to by that name. She wouldn't think of herself as Corona and wouldn't tolerate it from her underlings either. Mind, I can see Solrath and Terry thinking of her like that, but Kindle and probably Smoke as well are more likely to use "Celestia" in the narrative.

Fortunately this is a thing that can be fixed with a simple find/replace command.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

Oh, I thought I'd been fairly careful to keep using Celestia in my stories, oh well I can go over with a replace as you say.

thatguyvex
Group Contributor

Added the extra paragraphs, let me know if they're alright for what you need.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

Looks good, I'll add it to the final chapter.

At present it looks like the chapters will be released on Monday or Tuesday and then running daily until Christmas day or maybe boxing day.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

I am trying so very hard to write the chapters I promised I would. Solrath's is the harder of the two because every time I try and start it I find myself wondering why he'd even bother to do anything other than just dive down into the Earth, grab a random gemstone, bring it back up, and just say "here." So far my best idea to change that is to have it be something other than a gemstone, like maybe the mystical metal orichalcum or something that could be forged into something useful ("by someone who cares").

Corona's is a little more nuanced. I plan on using some of the Rainbow Roadtrip characters, namely the Hoofington bakers, but if I'm gonna do that then I'm going to need to actually watch Rainbow Roadtrip. Which I keep trying to do, but then either I get interrupted by Real Life, or...well, I'm watching Rainbow Roadtrip. It's kind of...difficult to focus on it and make it through it on my own.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

Well Solrath could purely be that if you want, it is totally in character 'Here's some useless junk I found, Happy Heath's Warming!' although I find it hard to think he'd be able to give away anything which he might even want slightly so even gems might be a problem as they are edible to him. He might put a huge amount of effort into making sure the present is a totally useless as possible,

Other idea's I had: -
* Some sort of black humour Grinch parody
* Solrath giving away something linked to his family which Luna killed which seems on the surface something sweet but underneath he has nothing but contempt for his family for being beaten (I've always suspected that some of them he might have killed himself for cowardice), told mostly be flashback.

Yeah, Rainbow Roadtrip is a rather slow burn, I like it but I agree that nothing much happens for most of it.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

And that's Yangin's story done.

Link

Now for various editing and fitting together.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

Ah-ha! I finished Corona's chapter!

Link

Ended up going in a different direction than originally planned; I had wanted to have Corona need to play peacemaker between a baker and a baker's supplier...but then I actually watched Rainbow Roadtrip and realized that there was in fact a baker couple in it already who were having a tough time with a supplier, and I didn't want to just retread old ground. So instead we get Corona getting a chance to, for lack of a better term, let her hair down and act much more like the Celestia we know from the show.

Now I just need to figure out how to do Solrath's chapter in a way that isn't just five paragraphs long...

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

I have to admit I didn't take the Hoofington's to be professional bakers from Rainbow Roadtrip, I don't know if it was specifically mentioned. I just saw it as a hobby. Still I've got no problem with them being bakers in this version.

Do you have any author comments you'd like to have added to the bottom of your chapter, I've moved the main text of the story over now.

Good luck with Solrath's chapter.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

Eh, just adding the "ended up going in a different direction" part of my post up there is probably enough for author's comments.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

Oh, remember that you need to produce the giving paragraph for the actual gift giving as well.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

And that's Solrath's story.

I basically just in fact turned it into Solrath half-assing the whole thing, but managed to stretch it out over three and a half pages. Not a lot, but I got to have him be really grumpy the whole time, and especially for something with no dialogue I think it works. Plus I set myself up for a joke during the "giving" portions of the penultimate chapter, which I'll get to work on (and should easily be able to finish) tomorrow.

Sorry that I'm making this all go down to the wire.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

Do you have a link for the "giving" chapter? Now that the story is published properly I can't see it anymore, but I'll need it for context if I'm going to write Corona and Solrath giving out their presents.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

Sure, the second half of this

Or you can add it to your own text and I'll fit it in.

I'm making a few changes as things go to refer to the various gifts here and there.

Again are there any comments you want to add to the Solrath chapter?

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

“Bah, humbug” seems like enough.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

Okay, added in the gift-giving scenes to the document! Sorry it's later than I thought, my work schedule was for a night shift when I thought it was a morning shift which threw off my plans. But it's done!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 44