Friendship is Magic: the Gathering 250 members · 46 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

(Before anyone asks, no that is not me in the picture.)

Looking at the back of the cards, there's a striking resemblance between the elements of harmony and the colors of mana in Magic: the Gathering.

This causes me to over-analyze the symbolism on the backs of the MLP CCG.
According the the back of the cards, Rainbow Dash is allied with Fluttershy and Applejack and is enemies with Pinkie Pie and Rarity. (In a similar sense to how White is aligned with Green and Blue while being opposed to Red and Black in MTG.)

I think the back of the cards breaks down in places when viewed through this lens. While the mane six are all friends, some are more friendlier than others.

For example, the back shows Rarity at odds with Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash. The latter makes sense, since Rainbow Dash and Rarity don't have many common interests. Rarity and Fluttershy do have many similar interests, such as spa days and fashion, so Fluttershy should be allied with Rarity.

If anything, I think Rarity's calm demeanor would be opposed to wild natures of Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie.

Going clockwise, I would have Rarity, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy.
Similar to the White, Blue, Black, Red, Green found in MTG.

I admit that it's not perfect. For example, one could argue that Rarity and Applejack should be "enemy colors" since the sleepover episode was focused on their differences, but I feel the episode highlighted how they have similar goals, but approach them from different methods.

What do you think? How would you arrange Twilight's friends in a MTG color wheel setting? Who should be allies and enemies?

Well, the best way is to start with the obvious:
*Rarity and Fluttershy are definitely allies.
*Pinkie Pie is clearly Dash's ally. The geometry forces Dash to reciprocate.
*Fluttershy and Dash are indisputably allies.

So, from this, we already have a string of four: Rarity, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie. This leaves Applejack in the spot between... Rarity and Pinkie. :applejackunsure: Well, I never said it was perfect.

Let's try enemies:
*Rarity and Dash clash terribly.
*Pinkie and Fluttershy are on opposite ends of the extrovert/introvert spectrum
*Applejack and Rarity conflict so easily, one of the first episodes was them arguing.
Okay, so, this gives us two enemy chains: Applejack, Rarity, Dash and Fluttershy, Pinkie. Rarity is guaranteed to be Fluttershy and Pinkie's ally. If we accept that Dash is more Fluttershy's ally than she is Pinkie's, the resulting wheel goes Rarity, Fluttershy, Dash, Applejack, Pinkie.

Hmm. The two methods definitely agree on the Rarity-Fluttershy-Dash arc. It's the position of the earth ponies where it's a toss-up...

Science! :twilightsmile:

The thing is, trying to match the relationships of a six-party group up with the relationships of a five-party group just isn't going to work well, regardless of how you try to make it fit.

I'm still trying to get over the fact that their is a TCG. If you'll excuse me I need to go sacrifice more lemmings to the alter of Hasbro.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4