The Writers' Group 9,331 members · 56,840 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5

Using google docs, I want to help co-write and/or edit a story with someone. I want to ask what are some good ways to do so.

I'm sure both writing at the same time is not the most optimal way to go about things. We probably need more planning.

Is it common for one to write the story and then afterwards the other person can check and change up the story a bit. Or maybe one person can part of a chapter and then it goes to the other writer and so on.

I want to find how to make this co-writer/editor job work out.

It’s not necessarily out of the question for two people to be writing concurrently, though you probably would want a plan of some kind or at least be in communication over Discord or some such. That’s the main thing I’d stress if you're co-writing—talk to your partner and make sure you’re both on the same page and satisfied with that page, and you should be fine. The times I’ve collabed with someone it’s usually been like I’ll write this character and they’ll write that character, or you could swap on a scene-by-scene basis or something… but if you’re both enjoying the process and making something good, you’re doing it right.

For editing I think the norm is basically for one person to write stuff in a document and then send it off to one or more others who’re allowed to make comments and suggestions but not direct edits, so they can leave feedback but it’s ultimately the author’s discretion what to change.

This is the kind of reply that people hate but I'm going to be real with you; co-writing stories is a bad idea. If you want to have someone edit for you using google docs, go to the top-right corner of your document and click 'share'. Allow access to anyone with the link and turn it on 'commenter mode'. This will allow you to see whatever your editor changed and allow you to accept or decline any changes.

I must stress that having two people write the same story will result in all sorts of tonal issues and conflicting ideas on how to move the story forward. Don't do it.

I want to ask what are some good ways to do so.

Co-writing and/or editing concurrently, in tandem or whatever can take many forms--an obscene amount of forms if you treat the story primarily as an experimental piece of fiction.

Honestly, the best way of going about it is talking to your writing partner about what you expect from each other (e.g. co-writing and editing are two vastly different things) and how each of you like to work. Then try different approaches and see what works best for both of you as well as the story.

I typically use Discord to write out a bit, then send it to my coauthor. Then they do their turn and send it, and so on. We take turns. Makes writing a lot faster, weirdly enough.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5