The Writers' Group 9,331 members · 56,840 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

I remember there used to be a lot of discourse around what would happen to the immortal characters when their friends and family were gone. Obviously they could make new friends and build long-lasting relationships with bloodlines, but what about the far distant future when the universe in general ceases to exist? If we assume it works like ours where everything will end eventually, that opens the doorway for other possibilities. I came up with what I think is a fairly unique solution where the universe essentially works in cycles. Something like the big bang happens again, planets re-form, and life as we know it restarts from the beginning. The only major hiccup is how they would survive all that, but they're magical talking ponies, so I probably wouldn't have to think too hard about that part. Not only could civilization theoretically be rebuilt faster because of their previously-acquired knowledge, but some of their old friends may even be reborn in better shape than they were before. Just the idea alone would completely alter their perception of reality. Rather than seeing their losses as tragedies which would haunt them forever, they would view them as opportunities to build upon what was already present, kind of like a cheat code or drawn-out game of hide and seek. I think it'd be a cool idea to experiment with just to see how far they could take it. They could even keep each other company in the meantime to make things more interesting. There's almost this mystical quality of wonder behind it, and I'm personally curious to see where it leads. The real question is whether anyone else feels the same.

I came up with what I think is a fairly unique solution where the universe essentially works in cycles. Something like the big bang happens again, planets re-form, and life as we know it restarts from the beginning. The only major hiccup is how they would survive all that, but they're magical talking ponies, so I probably wouldn't have to think too hard about that part.

If they could survive something like a Big Crunch (which would happen before a new Big Bang, if you're basing things off the real-life Big Bounce theory) they would probably be strong enough to just create another universe themselves. It would take an inconceivable amount of magic to survive a Big Crunch, which they theoretically could have built up for that very moment.

True, especially Twilight since she's a student of learning in and of itself. Between her innate abilities, intellect, and whatever tech they have by then, she could basically become a demi-goddess. Not limitless, but close enough for it to matter.

7952039 You can compare your idea to some examples from fiction.

In the realm of fiction, there are intriguing scenarios where species or beings manage to survive the cataclysmic events of a Big Crunch or a Big Bang, leading to the birth of a new universe. Here are some examples:

1. Galactus (Marvel Comics):

• In the Marvel universe (Earth-616), Galactus is a cosmic entity who predates the Big Bang. His origin lies in a collapsing universe, where he was the last existing lifeform named Galan.
    • Galan managed to survive the universe’s collapse by entering and enduring the actual “crunch.” When all the collected matter and energy from his dying universe exploded, it triggered the Big Bang that gave birth to the Marvel universe.
    • Galactus has since fed on life energy from countless planets, growing more powerful. Eventually, he may even spawn the next successor universe 1.
  2. Penrose’s CCC (Conformal Cyclic Cosmology):

3. Literary Interpretations:

• While not explicitly about species surviving, some science fiction stories explore the concept of cosmic cycles. Authors often play with the idea of beings existing across different universes or aeons.
    • These narratives may not always focus on survival but rather on the cyclical nature of existence, where characters experience multiple universes or realities.
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4