The Writers' Group 9,291 members · 56,392 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7

I'm trying to write a private scene about two of my OCs getting ready to pull a prank or two on my other OCs. However, I don't want either character to be too out-of-character or mean-spirited, at least not without a good reason that fits their character. Any tips on how to write character-based humor without being offensive or out-of-place, especially without a good reason? If you want to know more about the scene and the characters that I'm working on in order to help me, you can either reply to this thread or via PM.

Thank you and have a great day.

The most important bit of advice I can give is to be funny before you attempt comedy.

7691566 I have several advises, but you won't like any of them:
- Don't write OCs.
- Don't write character-based stories.
- Always have a fail-state. In your example, what happens if the characters just give up and don't pull a prank? Nothing. Nothing happens. One could argue that that's even a better scenario. So why read something where you can't cheer for any of the characters and can't relate to them? One could argue that not reading such a story is a better scenario than reading it.
- Be offensive. If the reader isn't crying by the end of your story, you've done a poor job as a writer. Comedy or no comedy. Your goal should always be to get slapped by Will Smith.
- Don't write fanfictions if you're not going to use any of the elements of the source material.

large bricks help with each one of those bullet-points

Well, one thing is for sure. For the love of Twilight, DON'T do what 7691594 says. Comedy is very subjective anyway, so there's no guarantee you'll get people on board with the story no matter how things turn out.

bruh, some of my favs ignore the source material almost entirely

If the scene is private (as in no one but you will read it) you can really do whatever you want -- no one can criticize something they can't see -- but I'll answer as if it is a story you might submit.

For the OCs doing the prank:

1: Make sure the OCs doing the prank are just messing with them, but that they do care about the OC.
2: Have the prank neither do no physical harm nor damage anything the victims care about. For instance, my OC will never do a prank on Twilight that would damage her books because he knows she cares about her books too much. If her books were to get damaged in a prank, it would be because a prank went wrong.

For the OCs on the receiving end of the prank:

1: Establish that they are okay with pranks, or at the very least are tolerant of pranks. It would be even better if they are prankers themselves.
2: Have them be good sports about the prank, which in itself would help show they are okay with being pranked.
3: Consider having them do a counter-prank, and have everyone laugh about it too.

However, I don't want either character to be too out-of-character or mean-spirited, at least not without a good reason that fits their character

Since your OCs are your OCs, only you would know if they are acting out of character/OOC. However, of pulling pranks fits these OCs' characters (i.e. they like to prank) you should be good here. But if they aren't the type to do pranks and no other factor that might make them do it exists, then they shouldn't be doing it if nothing is making or tempting them. They could go on to like pranks as character development, though.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7