The Writers' Group 9,328 members · 56,811 stories
Comments ( 16 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 16

Eh, I dunno if I'd call them guards. They seem to be there just to announce folks when they make an entrance. Kinda like these guys:

Back in the 17th and 18th Centuries, France, England, and many other countries who had monarchies had royal announcers who would announce the king (or queen's) proclamations (like in Shrek), and also at formal affairs, such as parties like FiM's Grand Galloping Gala.

4439481 I think they're supposed to be heralds.

There are some discussions to be had who did what precisely when and in what capacity, but on the in-general, they're called heralds. The ones in the Shrek scene definitely are. At big deal events it can be others, but since there are two of them, probably heralds.

Also, while I can't swear to it... yeah, that's Cathy Weseluck as the actor. AKA Spike.

4439518 They are indeed called Heralds. Their function are to announce who is arriving to the royal formal functions, and other royal proclamations. The scene you have there is from Shrek 1, where Lord Farquuad sends his heralds to announce an edict concerning the fairy tale characters in his kingdom.

Actually, it's from Shrek 2, when they announced that Shrek and Fiona were invited to Far Far Away. The scene from Shrek 1 that you were referring to was similar, but in that scene, Shrek was approached by knights. I wish, I could find a screenshot of this scene, but I can't so this image of one of the knights will have to suffice:

Oh,

I liked the wrestling part where Lord Farquaad puts Shrek in a huge wrestling match against his guards and Donkey shows up to help him.

The armored guys are royal knights/guards, and the heralds usually have no armor, but are sent to deliver royal messages and announcements.

Is Spike similar to a herald, as he burps up letters from princess celestia, or he's just a convenient way to send and receive letters (like email)?

I think it's just one of his duties as Twilight's assistant.

This looks like a cool episode.

Treehugger's dialog is fun.
"Wait a minute while I get my chakras in order so I can hug you from a place of authenticity."
I can see someone saying that in real life.

4439481 Definition of Herald. Actually, if all they do is announce, then they are just Royal Announcers. Heralds had many more functions than just that. They were officers of the Court. When one might have been an official Herald, the rest were just Royal Announcers or Butlers. The wait staff was often required to dress up nicely and help in the welcoming of the party guests as a show of respect to said guests. It seems odd that there was no maidmares there as well.

4439622 Tree Hugger's Voice Actress is none other than Nicole Oliver, the voice of Princess Celestia and Cheerilee.

Make New Friends, But Keep Discord is a great episode. Lots of references to Solid Snake (Discord hides in a box at Sugar Cube Corner, but Pinkie Pie greets him.

Discord's comedy routine is based off of the observational humor of Jerry Seinfeld, Rodney Dangerfield, Jeff Foxworthy, and Gallagher (he smashes watermelons with a sledgehammer).

There is also a reference to the Shining (the young colt is scared of the Smooze coming out of the room Discord locked him with the gems).

Tree Hugger's auditory therapy combines the meditative mantra with a ponies' whinny/nickering.

Discord was very jealous of Fluttershy's relationship with her new friend. He eventually discovers he can have multiple friends to share interests with.

I think heralds, or something.

Thanks.
I was thinking about doing a Smooze related story but
I was going to use a purple one.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 16