Second Person Stories 1,827 members · 1,561 stories
Comments ( 13 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 13

I've a quick question for anyone who ends up reading this:

What's your preferred style of second-person (whether reading or writing)? Past or present tense?

I actually write in the past tense. To me, it feel just right. I think a major factor to that was Fallout: Equestria. I may try changing up my style soon.

I prefer the past-tense stories. It keeps it nice and simple to understand and I find that the ones that are meant to be past-tense are more consistent than the ones that try present-tense. Just personal experience though

665798 I prefer present tense, simply for the reason that it makes more sense. At least for me. Take for example: "Twilight levitates the vase of flowers", apposed to "Twilight levitated the vase of flowers". Present tense gives the reader a feel that they are actually "there", and gives the story some more depth value. Then again, it can depend on context. Say for instance that the story was told from a recollection of events, then past tense would be more appropriate. So in all, it really depends on you, and your story! :twilightsmile:

It doesn't particularly matter to me... But I suppose the present tense is preferable, as my favorite second person fics seem to be mostly present tense.

Most actual stories written in 2nd-person perspective (this includes "choose-your-own-adventure" stories) are written in present tense. Since the goal of those stories is to make the reader seem like they are actually there, it makes sense to make the writing style more immediate and engaging.

I prefer past-tense; it just seems more real to me when reading it as such. Not sure why.

I prefer present tense myself. Just makes it seem more... as if you are there.
So like what 665847 said :pinkiecrazy:

My main second person story is in present tense. Trying to write it in past tense feels so wrong.

Present tense. If I’m using a 2nd person perspective, it’s because I want you to be in the story as much as possible. I find that using present tense further helps that.

I like present tense in 2nd person. It feels more immersive.
But it's really not a big deal as long as tense don't jump.

Exactly what 666194 said. I read 2nd person mainly to be in the story and present tense does just that.

Agree with all those above who said that second-person present tense is more immersive. Second person past tense isn't just less immersive, it doesn't make sense to me. Somebody telling you about things that already happened to you. Why are you listening to them? You already know that they happened.

I'm writing a second person story that takes place mostly in flashbacks--the narrator is walking around Fluttershy's abandoned cottage, which is falling into ruin, and narrates what happened in each place. I tried writing the flashbacks in past tense, which would've been a lot easier mechanically, but it made them sound weak.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 13