Sparity 1,912 members · 1,024 stories
Comments ( 16 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 16
TheAmazingPeanuts
Group Contributor

I was triggered after reading the comments in this poll. People saying Spike and Rarity can not be together because the age difference, ignoring the fact it's not impossible of Spike and Rarity because a couple in the future, like when Spike gets older.

I know they will not be together in canon because the show only focus on friendship, but couples with age gaps do exist in real life.

On top of that, unless Spike succumbs to greed, he isn't going to age in body at all.
And no, his molting does not count as aging. Mental age is what counts for his character - and I'd say he's learned a lot.

Did it ever occur that age in dragon years and pony years may be different?

And the only reason they call him a kid/baby dragon is because of Twilight who admits that ponies know nothing about dragon's biology. That and tried to compare his size and age to the C.M.C. even though he a different species with a different biology. Not to mention that they ignore what Jim Miller said about the characters ages not being set or the fact that most characters from a show aim at children are below eighteen.

I did an equation about what Jim Miller said: 10-12 dragon years x 1.6-1.84 aging rate = 16-22.08 pony years. So if Twilight was six when she hatch Spike and ten years have passed from when she got her cutie mark and the first episode then Spike would be 10 in dragon years but 16 in pony years. Just like with dog-human comparison: 1 dog years x 7 aging rate = 7 human years. So it wouldn't be right to compare a 3 years old dog to a 3 years old human. A 3 years old dog would be the same as a 21 years old human.

This link point to things in the show that prove Spike being older than people think. The first being in the episode Look Before You Sleep where Twilight told the other that Spike was in Canterlot on royal business mean he working for Princess Celestia. Princess Celestia is like the president of Equestria and nobody is allow to work for the government unless you're sixteen years old. The second would be the Gaunlet of fire where Spike was summon to the Dragonlord competition. With the exception of Dragonlord Torch, none of the dragons that were summon were adults nor were they baby/children including Spike.

And they ignore the fact Spike wasn't born or raise as a normal dragon is. He was hatch from a magical surge that Twilight got when she and her friends connect to the Elements/Tree of Harmony. He doesn't eat meat, hoard treasure, terrorize villages, or other stuffs a dragon would do.

If we go by my theory (and given the recent news, I'm at least close if not on point), then T-Sparks hatched Spike's egg when she was somewhere in the vicinity of her 15th birthday. Assuming that she moved to Ponyville shortly after completing her "formal" education, then at that time Spike would have been somewhere between 5-6 years of age, which would make him...still...underaged by now...at only 13-15 years old depending on the amount of time between when Twilight completed her time at CSGU and today.

Also to consider: Spike only just started puberty for dragons, and we don't really know how long it'll last. It could be the 5-10 years it takes for humans, or it could last decades. (I'm leaning towards the more "human" time scale since he's entering puberty so early in comparison to his overall potential dragon life-span.)

Rarity is already a grown mare and will likely want to match herself up with someone sooner rather than later. That said, she's shown that she has the patience and dedication to wait when there's something she really wants. Presuming something could happen to convince Rarity that waiting for Spike to mature would be worth the time, then yes, I can see this as a pair. (I do ship Rari-Spike, after all)

I quite agree, after all, my dad is 10 years older than my mom.

I think people mean 'at this current time'. Of we assume there is a law against relationships with minors and that Rarity is over 18 then yeah, they can't be a couple by law and by moral. The minute Spile turns 18 then yeah, go nuts.

My late brother in law was 11 years older than my sister when he married her, age gaps exist everywhere and I hardly think Spike's is that out of line with Rarity's. Besides, we talk about age of consent but this is human logic were applying. Spike has grown tremendously both in age and in mentality, he's no longer the thumb sucker who got jealous of birds stealing his thunder. This is a race that determines your destiny by a mark on your butt and that can come at ANY time in their life. I know it's easy to paint Spike and Rarity as inappropriate but I feel that's not really fair because ships have paired Discord, Celestia and Luna with numerous others and unless they happen to be immortal or long lasting; one could argue that's a vast gap too.

I guess I just have a problem with people labeling what's right and wrong so carelessly. Even if he is considered too young, that shouldn't close the door on Rarity accepting him down the line or waiting for him. Even that would bring a huge smile to my face because it shows she finally acknowledges him, even if its only to say to wait or promise ring kind of stuff. I always find it ironic Spike is called immature when Rarity fails to address the elephant in the room with him all this time; that is VERY immature for someone who is "that" much older than he is.

TheAmazingPeanuts
Group Contributor

These people probably ship Discord with Fluttershy, yes I know they both grown ups but there is a age gap between them too.

I seen some people who consider a Discord x Fluttershy relationship as pedophilia.

TheAmazingPeanuts
Group Contributor

That is dumb, they both adults.

Thing is, we can forget about the ship happening in the show. I mean, we can all ship it as part of fanon, and yeah we can go nuts in that regard, but the show runners seem to be making greater strides towards making Rarijack more and more canon. In fact, that ship is as canon as canon can get without being outright confirmed.

Can you show any concrete evidence and not your interpretation of why you think Rarijack is cannon because by my evidences it isn't. I don't know about Applejack's persuasion but Rarity is flat-out straight. The two time in the show she is shown to have a crush on Blueblood and Tenderhoof, two rich, famous, and successful unicorn stallion from Canterlot. And threw out the series she is shown flirting/fawning with not female but with male including Spike. There more evidence to support Sparity like in the chapter book, Rarity and the Curious Case of Charity , in which Rarity said to Charity that my Spikey-Wikey, capiche.

Can we agree that if it were the other way around (a older Spike and a younger Rarity), almost nobody would say anything?

Which would be the dragon ?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 16