Equestrian Historical Society 830 members · 639 stories
Comments ( 19 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 19

I'm trying to write a fic, and I was hoping to include a lot of unique creatures along the journey. As we've seen before, Equestria is filled with "mythological" creatures, such as dragons, hydras, manticores, minotaurs, griffons, etc. What other kind of legendary animals might be in Equestria? I've composed a list of some that may be possible (including those that have been witnessed):

Changeling

Chimera

Cockatrice

Crocodile, Swamp

Diamond dog

Dragon

Dragon, Earth (Lack of wings, Ex: Spike)

Gargoyle

Griffon

Hydra

Jabberwock

Manticore

Minotaur

Phoenix

Salamander, Fire

Spider, Giant

Stymphalian bird

Succubus

Taraxippus

Werewolf

Wolf:
Black
Dire
Grey
Timber

Wyvern

Are there any others that you can think of? Your help is much appreciated.

1346585 Well, I know from the comics that there are Chupacabra, vampiric Jackelope, and pony-eating plants, and trolls. Then, if you need other monsters, you could try harpies, saurians, coeurls, and pony-shaped golems.

Bonnacon

Roc

Honest Used-Car Salesman

I wouldn't mind seeing a luck dragon.

1346635 I can't seem to find the comics anywhere. I only found the first one online.
And also, what do the trolls look like? Trolls from Skyrim? Lord of the Rings? The Internet?

1346669 Like from "Lord of the Rings".

Here's a few common ones that have yet to be mentioned.

Orcs, Oni's, Giants, Ents, Elementals, Goblins, Reapers, Ghosts, Necromancer?, Slime monsters are dime a dozen too.

1346585 Goblins, orcs (lava/ice), vampires, trolls, maybe centaurs and fairies unless you do not want human like creatures.

Zobeid
Group Admin

I have this idea lodged somewhere in my head that diamond dogs are really gnolls. (That episode brought back memories of battling the Blackburrow gnolls in EQ, and getting lost in their tunnels.) So, that would mean "Diamond Dogs" is just the name of their clan, tribe, pack, whatever. Honestly, I've never understood where "Diamond Dogs" came from. Some sort of pop-culture reference to some movie I've never seen? I thought "Rock Hounds" would have made more sense. Oh well...

Humanoid fairies might be interesting, or maybe not... We had creatures in G1 like the Moochick and the Troggles, which were humanoid or demi-human. I always thought it would be funny if the first pony reaction to seeing a human was, "It's like an overgrown fairy!" instead of the all-too common "hairless ape" response. On the other hand, changelings are equinoid, and "breezies" (or breezy ponies) in G3 sort of took the place of fairies. So, you can follow either path there.

The Sidehill Gouger could make for a funny "monster" encounter. :pinkiehappy:

And don't forget the natural enemy of timber wolves... Fire Ants! :pinkiegasp:

Comment posted by ColoradoBlueJay deleted Jul 23rd, 2013

1347352 ...Seems legit.

1346942 Yeah, I never really approved of their race being called that either... but just "dogs" is way too generic.

1346638 That last one is gonna be the final boss.

There's also no need to rely on actual mythological creatures. In addition to these, you could always make up your own beasts unique to Equestria, like the ursa majors, timber wolves or fruit bats. Me, I'm planning to use a mountain lion -- that is, a lion made out of a great chunk of mountain.
Speaking of ursa majors, you could use other constellations in a similar way. Cygnus, as a great swan, Pisces, twin fish that that pull tides, Scorpio a...giant scorpion...thing.
Meanwhile, there's a whole slew of critters from G1 almost nobody uses.

However, if you insist on using pre-made myths, don't restrict yourself to D&D manuals and Greek myth. North America, South America, and Europe (I highly suggest any sort of Black Dog, they've got many variations and is perfect for a spooky night scene)
There's loads of untapped myths in Asia, Africa, Australia, and the middle east too, if you want to get more exotic.

Scary as hell too. We saw it flying down in California.

I always thought that, along with timber wolves, in the plains there would be tumble wolves. Wolves made of tumble weeds that are smaller, but much more numerous, than timber wolves.

Impossible Numbers
Group Contributor

Honestly, I've never understood where "Diamond Dogs" came from. Some sort of pop-culture reference to some movie I've never seen? I thought "Rock Hounds" would have made more sense. Oh well...

Try David Bowie's album, Diamond Dogs. It was thanks to my checking that reference which led me to invent the Spiderglass. :ajsmug:

As for the OP, try something obscure if you like. We had a thread on World-Building Alliance about Hippalectryons (horse-chicken hybrids), and Wikipedia has plenty of examples.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 19