Fallout Equestria 5,365 members · 2,614 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11

This is the same post i made on the FO:E Subreddit, but i'm excited to share it here too.
https://www.reddit.com/r/falloutequestria/comments/1bdnaa2/ditzy_doos_gurps_survival_guide_or_how_to_run/

Intro

Are you interested in running your own RPG campaign in the Fallout: Equestria setting? While it’s true there are a few preexisting options such as PnP, or Ponyfinder for Pathfinder 2e, i'm going to discuss how you can run the Fallout: Equestria setting in a system called GURPS. I'm currently running this system, and the 5 players at my table enjoy it very much, but none of them have ever read Fallout: Equestria so make of that what you will.

What is GURPS?

GURPS is the "Generic Universal Role Playing System" published by Steve Jackson Games. It's designed to be played in any setting, in any genre, with a wide range of playstyles supported by a simple core ruleset, with a number of optional rules if you prefer a more in depth experience. One of the interesting things here is that Fallout 1 was originally based on GURPS instead of the S.P.E.C.I.A.L system we all know and love, so in a weird way it's kind of fitting.

GURPS uses a 3d6 roll under system to determine success. In fact, GURPS uses d6 for everything. In the basic set, if you see "1d+3, 2d+4, etc." the "d" means d6.

Why GURPS?

Why GURPS over Fallout: Equestria PnP, or Homebrew 5e, or Ponyfinder? There are a few advantages that GURPS has over these other options.

One of them is the deep character customization. With a wide variety of Skills and Traits at your disposal, you can craft your character in any way you can imagine. The character creation process in GURPS employs a point-based system, giving you a certain number of Character Points to allocate among Attributes, Skills, and Traits. This latter category encompasses both Advantages and Disadvantages. Why would you choose to take disadvantages? Because disadvantages have a negative point cost, giving you extra points to invest elsewhere. This offers a mechanical incentive for players to create more well rounded and flawed characters. However, it's best to set a reasonable limit on how many disadvantages you allow your players to take.

Another is the tactical combat. Unlike the 6 second time scale of DnD, Pathfinder and FO:E PnP, Each turn in GURPS represents 1 second, and you can only take one maneuver on that turn. The HP and damage values for attacks in GURPS are scaled to be realistic, so characters can very easily go down in a single turn because the enemy got a lucky shot. This creates a system where players are forced to be more calculated and commit to their character's actions. Such a system is perfect for creating a grim, unforgiving atmosphere, though for a more 'heroic' campaign vibe, granting your players additional points to spend can ensure their characters are more resilient and capable of facing greater threats.

The important thing to remember is that GURPS serves as more of a toolkit than a game in itself. You don't have to use every rule in the Basic Set, in fact it's recommended not to.

Getting started with GURPS

To get started, you need:

Supplements: GURPS supplements aren't necessary, and are generally only recommended if you already have a good grasp of the system, but I found these pretty handy.

• GURPS: Furries Pages 17 and 18 contain Brawling Techniques for Hooved Quadrupeds. Recommended if one of your players wants to run an unarmed build.
  • GURPS: High Tech Contains a laundry list of accurately statted modern firearms. More importantly, it has tables for the price and weight of various calibers of ammunition, as well as different ammo types.
  • GURPS: Magic Used for the expanded list of spells, if you wish to dip your toes into the magic system.
  • Unofficial GURPS: Fallout - Compilation

Racial Templates

Here are some templates for races people might commonly want to play. these are generic templates meant to be built on, so most of these have default attributes and no skills selected. The skills and attribute are for you/your players to decide.

Notes: Tied to Horn is a minor accessibility limitation. It means if the Horn is crippled, the character loses their TK and any magical abilities they have. Numbers in brackets [like this] indicate the point value of the template or trait.

Earth Pony [-32]

Extra Legs [5], Horizontal [-10], Hooves [3], No Fine Manipulators [-30]

Uses the Quadruped Hit Table on Page 553 of the Basic Set

Pegasus [10]

Extra Legs [5], Horizontal [-10], Hooves [3], No Fine Manipulators [-30], Flight (Winged) [30], and Walk on Air (Specific, Water Vapor) [12].

Uses the Winged Quadruped Hit Table

taking the Aerobatics skill is recommended

Unicorn [35]

Extra Legs [5], Horizontal [-10], Hooves [3], Telekinesis 10 (Visible, Tied to Horn) [35], Unicorn Horn: Striker (Impaling [8], Limited Arc, Cannot Parry) [2]

Uses Quadruped Hit Location Table. Horn is targetable at -9 to Hit.

Zebra [-47]

Exactly the same as Earth Pony, but also take Social Stigma (Minority) [-10], and Social Stigma (Second Class Citizen) [-5]

Griffon [35]

Horizontal [-10], Flight (Winged) [30], Walk on Air (Specific, Water Vapor) [12], Claws (Talons)[8], Code of Honor (Professional)[-5]

Uses the Winged Quadruped Hit Table.

Changeling [65]

Extra Legs [5], Horizontal [-10], Hooves [3], Telekinesis 10 (Visible, Tied to Horn ) [35], Unicorn Horn: Striker (Impaling [8], Limited Arc, Cannot Parry) [2], Flight (Winged) [30], Morph (Cosmetic, Retains Shape)[30], Secret (Changeling, Possible Death)[-30]

Uses the Winged Quadruped Hit Table. Horn is targetable at -9 to Hit.

Alicorn [542, 486, or 492]

Size Modifier 1

Attributes: ST +10 [200], HT +5 [50]

Traits: Extra Legs [5], Horizontal [-10], Hooves [3], Telekinesis 10 (Visible,Tied to Horn [-10%]) [35], Unicorn Horn: Striker (Impaling [8], Limited Arc, Cannot Parry) [2], Flight (Winged) [30], Walk on Air (Specific, Water Vapor) [12], Mindlink (Racial) [32], Magery 10, Regeneration (Very Fast, Environmental (radiation)), Regrowth (Environmental (Radiation))

Spells: Force Dome [20] (and all prereqs) [11]

Can choose between Warp [100], Invisibility (Switchable) [44], or Mind Control [50]

Uses the Winged Quadruped Hit Table. Horn is targetable at -9 to Hit.

Custom Equipment

GURPS uses '$' to refer to the universal concept of currency. For our purposes, we're assuming a 1:1 conversion ratio for $ to caps.

Battle Saddles:

Battle Saddle (Standard): 100 caps, 10 lb, allows ponies to use guns without levitation magic. Comes standard with reloading mechanism.

Battle Saddle (Heavy): 200 caps, 20 lb, allows ponies to fire heavier weaponry such as heavy machine guns, rocket launchers, cannons, and heavy beam weapons. Does not come with automatic reloading mechanism. Must be reloaded manually, either by another Pony, or with levitation magic.

Healing Potions:

Healing Potion: 250 caps, 0.1lb, Heals 1d+2 damage

Full Strength Healing Potion: 400 caps, 0.1 lb, heals 2d+4 damage.

Chems

I adapted these from the unofficial GURPS Fallout compilation.

Rage (TL8): A pre-war combat drug cocktail with nasty side effects, high addiction rate and very impressive increase in combat ability for a short period of time.

• Effects: +2 DX and +1 Speed for (25-HT)/4 hours.
  • Drawbacks: -2 IQ for the duration; also gives -3 ST, -3 DX, Low Pain Tolerance, Paranoia, and hallucinations at the end of the duration, lasting the same amount of time the drug was in effect.
  • Time: It takes about 1 second to apply a dose of Rage. Injections require a First Aid roll with a +2 bonus.
  • Addiction: Roll HT -4 to resist addiction
  • 0.5 lb, 175 caps per dose.

Buck (TL8): Buck is a powerful anabolic steroid designed to enhance the user's strength, reflexes, and endurance for a short period of time.

• Effects: Gives +2 ST, +2 DX, Hard to Kill 2 and Hard to Subdue 2 for (25-HT)/4 hours.
  • Drawbacks: -3 ST, -3 DX, and -1 HT at the end of the duration, lasting the same amount of time the drug was in effect.
  • Time: It takes about 1 second to apply a dose of Buck
  • Addiction: Roll HT to resist addiction
  • negligible weight, 100 caps per dose.

Mint-Als (TL8): Zebra drug that improves cognitive function

• Effects: +2 IQ, +2 Perception, +1 Charisma for (25-HT)/4 hours.
  • Drawbacks: -2 IQ, -2 Perception, -3 Charisma and Absent Mindedness at the end of the duration, lasting the same amount of time the drug was in effect.
  • Time: It takes about 1 second to apply a dose of Mint-Als.
  • Negligible weight, 100 caps per dose

Party Time Mint-Als (TL8): A special and highly addictive variety of Mint-als.

• Effects: +4 IQ, +4 Perception, +2 Charisma for (25-HT)/4 hours.
  • Drawbacks: -4 IQ, -4 Perception, -6 Charisma and Absent Mindedness at the end of the duration, lasting the same amount of time the drug was in effect.
  • Time: It takes about 1 second to apply a dose of Party Time Mint-Als.
  • Negligible weight, 250 caps per dose.

Dash (TL8): Dash is a powerful stimulant that gives the user a slowed perception of time. While highly addictive and dangerous, it allows the user to think and act faster than they normally could, making it a useful combat drug.

• Effects: +2 Basic Speed, +1 ST, +1 Perception, & Enhanced Time Sense for (25-HT)/4 hours.
  • Drawbacks: -2 Basic Speed, -3 ST and -3 Perception at the end of the duration, lasting for the same amount of time the drug was in effect.
  • Time: It takes about 1 second to inhale a dose of Dash

Med-X (TL8): Common intravenous painkiller. Tends to have the side effect of lethargy and drowsiness.

• Effects: High Pain Threshold and Unfazeable for (25-HT)/4 hours.
  • Drawbacks: Euphoria,and Laziness for duration. Nauseated at end of duration, lasting for the same amount of time the drug was in effect.
  • Time: It takes about 1 second to apply a dose of Med-X. Injections require a First Aid roll with a +2 bonus.

Homebrew skills and specializations

GURPS doesn’t include things like Battle Saddles or firing pistols from the mouth, probably because those things are unrealistic. Here are some custom specializations for that. Defaults are what you roll against when you have no points invested in the skill.

Battle Saddle Specializations for Guns and Beam Weapons: Custom Specialization for the Guns and Beam Weapons skills that lets ponies use Guns and Energy Weapons from a Battle Saddle, even if they have the No Fine Manipulators disadvantage.

• Aligns with corresponding Guns or Beam Weapons skills. Defaults to the higher of DX-4 or weapon skill level -2.
  • Guns (Battle Saddle) specializations default to each other at -2.
  • For a character proficient in a specific weapon (e.g., Rifle), using a different weapon type with a Battle Saddle (e.g., Shotgun) defaults to -4

Mouth Firing Specializations: Custom specialization for Guns skill. Allows ponies to fire Pistols, Laser Pistols, and submachine guns from the mouth.

• Default to the higher of DX-4, Guns(Pistol) -2, Guns (Submachine gun) -2, or Beam Weapons (Pistol) -2
  • Mouth firing specializations default to Each other at -2.

House Rules

Unconcentrated TK: In the RAW, Telekinesis requires a concentration maneuver to use, but with this optional rule, TK also acts as two magical hands at your side. Just as with real hands, one of your magical “hands“ is the dominant one, and the usual penalties apply for doing a task with your “off hand.” You don’t need to concentrate to float items directly in front of you within Reach 1. This applies to weapons like Rifles, and Spears that have longer reaches, as long as your magical “hands” remain within Reach 1 when holding the weapon. These magical "hands" can't be used to throw punches, you'll have to do that with your hooves.

Cumbersome Battle Saddles: Since Battle Saddles require ponies to turn their whole bodies in the direction they're shooting, Battle saddles can only shoot in a 60 degree arc in front of the user. Battle Saddles mounted to power armor can shoot in the full 120 degree vision arc due to built in head tracking

Conclusion

I'm not going to lie, crafting this guide took days of effort and it's probably the single most autistic thing I've ever done. At the time of writing, I've run five sessions using this system with my friends and am in the process of organizing the sixth. If you want to try this out, let me know. While my current group is at full capacity with five players, and managing a larger group might be challenging, I'm quite eager to join any games you might organize. Experiencing this system as a player rather than the GM is a prospect I find exciting. I welcome any questions or feedback, so please don't hesitate to share your thoughts in the comments.

Comment posted by Perpetually Confused deleted March 13th

I'm not going to lie, crafting this guide took days of effort and it's probably the single most autistic thing I've ever done.

That should be the fandoms epitaph

Good write up.

The FOE group I play with uses GURPS for our Raider campaign, and it definitely seems to strike a good balance in terms of how punishing the combat is and the speed of play.

We’re also two years deep into a game using Phoenix Command Combat System on top of Tails of Equestria, which I can’t recommend enough. Also plugs into GURPS very easily.

Combat is a deadly enough prospect that players usually try to avoid it unless necessary, combat turns are 0.5 seconds long, and calculating the damage on a hit takes about 5 d100 roles referenced to separate look up tables. Very good if you’re into simulationism autism.

Not going to lie, I think I’ve been going too easy on my players in terms of combat. One of them has a DR 7 suit of armor, and there was one combat encounter where they had like 4 people firing at them with shotguns and submachine guns. The submachine guns just barely pierced the armor, but the shotguns didn’t do Jack shit, and the enemies just kept firing center of mass where their shots bounced off harmlessly, meanwhile, the other characters flanked around the back and mopped the rest up while this group was distracted. Once I decided to roll random hit location, one of their shells clipped him right in the hoof, crippling it, just in time for the other character to run around the side of the house they were defending, and save the day with her little 9mm pistol. I think maybe it’s that I gave them too high of a character level and wasn’t diligent enough with the disadvantage limit for some of them.

Then again, that same character almost died the first proper combat they got into, and both parties were firing at each other from a long distance and missing most of their shots (he insists on always firing his SMG at the full RoF, even though I tell him he hits more shots with short controlled bursts.)

Phoenix_Dragon
Group Contributor

Hey! Always good to see another GURPS player. Easily my most-played system, and it's the first on the list if I were ever to run a Fallout: Equestria game. The amount of character customization is great for creating characters that are very different from regular human-like types, which is a big part of the appeal to me.

Looks like a good writeup, too! Good stuff. I'd personally want to add something to the changeling template to model their need to feed on love (perhaps based off Dependency or Draining), but that's going to depend on setting assumptions, and is probably just because I'm a giant obsessive changeling nerd :twilightsheepish:

Bruh, GURPS is older than I am, I think.
Props to the info for new readers though. I like where you're going with it all.

If you ever were to, and if you’re interested in having me as a player, let me know.

My current campaign kind of centers around changelings, I didn’t include that because I figured feeding on love just made them more powerful, and to just stay alive they’d only need food and water. Plus, I always got the impression they’re incapable of feeling love themselves, and since most of them dwell underground only surrounded by each other, they’d starve if they needed it to feed. I’m not exactly brushed up on my MLP lore though, and your way makes more sense if we’re using vampire rules.

Edit: I will add, my campaign is already not the most “lore friendly” to begin with just because one of my players insisted they wanted to play an insane zebra necromancer who could cast spells, when in the lore, zebra magic pretty much extends only as far as brewing potions and crafting enchantments. I just said “fine, but you’re the only one who can do that lol.”

Btw, if you want to hear more about what the changelings are doing in the world of my game, PM me. I don’t want to take the very narrow chance that my players stumble upon this thread and find out some information their characters shouldn’t have access to.

Yeah, the 1st Edition was published in 1986. The latest edition (4e) was published in 2004 though, so at least I can say I’m older than GURPS 4th Edition.

Okay it's not older than I. Lol.
I like Palladium games because it's often high tech with classic gaming rules and lore.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11