Fallout Equestria 5,362 members · 2,614 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10

I've not had a proper playthrough of Fallout 4 in a long time, and in that time I've played Fallout 3 and New Vegas, and with both of these in mind, it really changes your point of view regarding the Brotherhood of Steel and Institute... The Brotherhood are 100% correct, we know what happened in the Capital Wasteland when an armed xenophobic group of pre-war origin had amassed power, and the Brotherhood are simply trying to make sure that history does not repeat itself, since they speak from experience. The Institute is in the exact same position that the early Enclave was around the time of Fallout 1 and 2, and could very easily develop the same militant and xenophobic ideology if left alone for long enough, we already see that starting to arise within the Synth Retention Bureau, and with their resources, the Institute could do a lot more damage than the Enclave. And, for those who have played New Vegas, you would know about Caesar's ideology regarding Hegelian Dialectics, and that is very obvious when comparing the culture and behaviour of the Fallout 3 Brotherhood and the Fallout 4 Brotherhood... After defeating the Enclave, the Brotherhood's antithesis, they integrated the Enclave's militarism and technology, destroying their neutrality and isolationist tendencies... The same could happen after Fallout 4, the Brotherhood absorbing the technocratic and civil nature of the Institute, the freedom-loving ideology of the Railroad, and the egalitarian and optimism of the Minutemen.

Brotherhood absorbing the technocratic and civil nature of the Institute, the freedom-loving ideology of the Railroad, and the egalitarian and optimism of the Minutemen.

Last time I checked Brotherhood just decided to blow up the Institute, along with all scientists and technology. They also slaughtered everyone in Railroad HQ, so I have no idea how they are supposed to absorb anything from them. And only thing Minutemen can teach them is how to destroy any semblance of discipline in their troops, before inevitably splintering and going raider.

The brotherhood of Fallout 4 is farcical. Take a look at Elder McNamara of New Vegas for a more sane and somewhat reasonable role model. He's neither a white knight nor a villain, but he is cautious and open to negotiation.

Remember that under McNamara it is possible to broker a truce between the Vegas Brotherhood and the NCR. Any other choice of leader in-game leads to continued hostility and distrust.

It must be said that the brotherhood of fallout NV is a broken and defeated brotherhood, hiding away in remote bunkers in fear of the NCR. Even if old games, the best depiction of this faction is in fallout 1 as a more sane and benign enclave, while in the second they started to become secondary to the rapidly rising NCR. Fallout 3 introduced a brotherhood that splintered from the main group, and not very powerful or influential compared to the original chapter, considering that most of their soldiers were inducted from the local population

Phoenix_Dragon
Group Contributor

The same could happen after Fallout 4, the Brotherhood absorbing the technocratic and civil nature of the Institute

Which the Brotherhood nuked.

the freedom-loving ideology of the Railroad

Who the Brotherhood slaughtered.

and the egalitarian and optimism of the Minutemen.

The faction that is strongly opposed to militaristic threats to their homes, opposed to tyranny (Such as the forcible requisition of food and supplies under threat of death or the use of military force to impose rule), and whose final mission is destroying the Brotherhood expedition because it threatens the freedom of the Commonwealth.

Aside from all that, the Brotherhood used to be much closer to these better ideals, and that's the big reason I see this as unlikely: Maxson is deliberately leading them away from this and toward stronger militarism and interventionism because he saw the Brotherhood as weak and ineffectual when it was closer to those more peaceful ideals. It's not all bad (He's more willing to intervene to protect settlers than some previous incarnations of the Brotherhood), but he's definitely not looking to embrace these ideals. There is a reason why the largely antagonistic splinter-faction in Fallout 3, the Outcasts, reunited with the main Brotherhood under Maxson. The only real hope for the Brotherhood following a more freedom/egalitarian course would be if we have the Minutemen ending, opt not to destroy the Brotherhood expedition, and then Maxson dies to be replaced by someone more amenable to peace (Such as a certain newly promoted Sentinel from the Commonwealth). Except we'd probably see the chapter fragment again just like it did the last time they tried to do that.

I think that the behavior and root cause of those splinter factions rather highlights the big difference between the Brotherhood of Steel and the Steel Rangers. In the BoS, the ones who feel strongly enough to split away are the ones who are more isolationist and militaristic, and they're only reincorporated when the chapter as a whole has drifted that way. But in Fallout: Equestria, the ones who feel strongly enough to split away are the ones who are more intent on going out and helping people, the original cause of the Steel Rangers (And the Brotherhood of Steel, even). It's also worth noting that in the Afterword, the Rangers are still referred to as Applejack's Rangers; if there was a reunification, it was the "original" faction joining them, not the other way around.

When the Prydwen first showed up with the whole "don't be afraid, we're here to help you" message, I immediately thought of the Grand Pegasus Enclave, and that view didn't change greatly through the rest of the game. The anti-ghoul/synth rhetoric really helped solidify that comparison. Yeah, sure, the Brotherhood is there to help. Their way. And they'll kill anyone they see as an obstacle to that. Even factions that endorse the ideology of freedom and equality. Especially them, it seems.

Plus they think Nick should be killed, so fuck 'em. And fuck 'em extra hard because they'd probably say "destroyed" or "dismantled" instead of "killed."

I guess the closest comparison to that last one that we could get in Fallout: Equestria (Discounting side-stories) would be the Enclave trying to kill Celestia. Or maybe trying to kill all the post-unity alicorns (Even the peaceful ones we see in the Afterword) as unnatural abominations and non-ponies.

My opinions institute and the enclave are good.

Reasoning of course
The institute is most likely to aid the Commonwealth under the lone survivor's supervision, the institute has the most advanced technology so they could eventually ally with the minute men

The institute has a goal that could benefit humanity
They wish to stay isolated and heal the Commonwealth from the safety of being underground although they could create dangerous technology, nothing ventured nothing gained, the institute improves technology and could change the Commonwealth for the better with its advantages in synth technology

The enclave
(Warning I'm talking entirely biology, this isnt racism)
Basic biology
The enclaves idea to purge all super mutants and ghouls is quite smart, the side effects of killing everyone else makes less sense, but there is a justification even if it is very cruel, due to radiation poisoning the genetic code of wasteland citizens is likely to be heavily damaged and the chances of negative traits are increased, (here it comes) thus it would make sense to prevent the dangerous traits from entering the gene pool, this could be accomplished by several processes.

1 sterilization
2 preventing breeding
3 eliminate the carriers (this is what the enclave went with)

Though I firmly disagree with their methods, they dont like senseless murder, and it at least to them is for the greater good.

So in all i believe both the institute and the enclave arent as evil as some believe sure they make poor decisions but they arent overly selfish or evil they have goals and believe that the ends justify the means, in the end the enclave could do good if given proper direction

Comment posted by Encirclement_productions deleted Sep 4th, 2020
Phoenix_Dragon
Group Contributor

My opinions institute and the enclave are good.

Both of them are factions that rely on their technological superiority to steal resources from people, kill anyone they see as a potential threat to their dominance, kill any sapient beings they deem aren't sufficiently human, and kill or enslave sapient beings for the benefit of their small and isolated group. They both have some ideas about producing a better future for humanity (Or at least the subset that they consider sufficiently human), while preying upon the present of humanity. The best that can be said for the Institute is that they intend to eventually help humans as a whole, at some ill-defined future time, and their violence against current humans is just a sad necessity (Just, you know, a sad necessity that they never seem to shed any tears about). The best that can be said about the Enclave is that at least they're open about existing explicitly for the benefit of a small group at the expense of the larger population and don't put up any pretenses about helping others. Remember, they're the ones who started the whole Vault program with its population-expendable social experiments. They're the ones who were refining the FEV to form a contagion that would wipe out almost all of humanity, except for their tiny group.

Just because they have a reason behind their genocide doesn't mean they're good. It just means they have reasons for the evil things they do.

Even the Grand Pegasus Enclave is better than the Fallout Enclave. The pegasi just turned their backs on the other ponies, and it only worked because the leadership lied to the majority of the population, who would have wanted to help if they knew the truth. The Fallout Enclave, on the other hand, was actively trying to kill every single sapient being that wasn't a part of the Enclave (That was the main conflict in Fallout 2). I'd even say the Grand Pegasus Enclave is arguably better than the Institute, because when pegasi found out what was really going on, it led to a civil war, while everyone in the Institute knew what was going on, yet almost nobody even raised concerns and even fewer tried to do anything.

Wait the enclave/remnants of the US government started the vault programs, I dont know about that, vault tech I'm quite sure did that them selves

But personally I'm taking the enclave from fallout 3 as it seems at least a little less extreme, though I firmly disagree with their methods and their plan, they could be talked down and change, they believe that their doing the right thing, even if they don't see that they clearly arent

Phoenix_Dragon
Group Contributor

Wait the enclave/remnants of the US government started the vault programs, I dont know about that, vault tech I'm quite sure did that them selves

The Enclave wasn't just the remnants of the US government. It was a "shadow government" inside the US government, and unlike the Grand Pegasus Enclave, it existed before the war. To be fair, it's a little unclear whether the Enclave controlled the Vault program from the beginning or whether they subverted an existing Project Safehouse in order to implement their own plans, but they are the ones that made Project Safehouse a mass-scale social experiment. While the timeline is a little unclear, it's also stated that the Vaults' "true purpose" was never to save anyone in them. The Enclave was definitely behind the Vaults treating their occupants as expendable test subjects.

But personally I'm taking the enclave from fallout 3 as it seems at least a little less extreme

They're doing the same thing they did in Fallout 2: using a modified FEV to wipe out every single human that has had the slightest mutation; or in other words, every single human except them. The only difference is scope; the Fallout 3 Enclave only has the capacity to spread their contagion over a smaller area. It's a technological and logistical limitation only. The Fallout 3 Enclave would happily spread it to the rest of the world if they could, and they probably would have tried to if they hadn't been stopped.

Also, even if you've destroyed their base, stopped their FEV plans, and then fought off and destroyed the main remnants, the rest of the Enclave still continues to roam the Wasteland and attack you or anyone else they think needs a good vaporization. That's some hard-core dedication to the whole genocide plan.

As opposed to the Grand Pegasus Enclave, where the general population learning about the Enclave's plans and the truth of what was going on below the clouds was enough to kick-start a civil war.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10