In General 586 members · 3,877 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6

Well, at least I can latch onto a YongYea video to talk about something I already wanted to. There have been other people talking about this particular subject already, in which Ubisoft effectively shut down an old racing game from 2014, The Crew. Now there have been two sequels since, The Crew 2 and The Crew Motorfest. That doesn’t justify ending the game like this. And if you owned the game prior to it being delisted? It’s just a paperweight now. If you go back into the game, you won’t get past the menu. They’ll point you to the store. “So, we just disabled the game you’re trying to play, so why not throw some money our way to play a different game in the series?”

I haven’t played the original game, but I did play The Crew 2 for about 72 hours over some weeks, perhaps a month or so. Which for a racing game, that’s a lot of time I spent in that. I know it isn’t much compared to the hundreds or even thousands of hours people played these games. Maybe years later, Ubisoft will also decide to shut down The Crew 2. Gotta love time limits on games before they’re gone forever.

This is the same Ubisoft that told gamers to get comfortable with not owning their games. What is up with these huge companies being so out of touch with their customers?

For some reason, they made the decision to make the game online only although there is single player content in the game. They didn’t add an offline mode, no, it’s just unplayable. They straight up took away your license. This isn’t a MMO where there’s always the risk that can happen.

Game preservation is in such a sorry state. YongYea’s video links to a video I would have talked about here briefly. This video coming from the guy behind Freeman’s Mind, a machinima series in which how Half-Life could be if the main character talked. YongYea also brought up Sony taking away content from people’s libraries.

Ubisoft had the balls to say gamers should get comfortable with not owning the games they pay for.

I say Ubisoft should get comfortable with their stock value plummeting until the company is completely bankrupt.

They should not be allowed to pull crap like that. The players paid to buy the game, not rent it. The least they can do is give them a refund. This is robbery plain and simple. I would never support a company that does this kind of stuff and I hope they go bankrupt.

And yet they say digital is the future.

One more reason to be glad I play games that haven't pulled anything like that. Not being able to play a game you paid for is a beyond shitty thing for a company to do if it's not a purely online multiplayer game that requires a live server and other players to be played.

I stopped buy Ubisoft games years ago these actions don’t surprise me.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6