Reviewers' Mansion 284 members · 653 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2
SwordTune
Group Contributor

Welcome to WAR! I am SwordTune, the manager, representative, only employee, and sole proprietor of “We Are Reviews, SP.” Fresh off the factory line, today we have a review for “Pinkie’s Pies” by Uz Naimat.

EPinkie’s Pies
Pinkie has decided that it’s time to embark on a new adventure: write a book! It’s going to be wonderful and interesting, but most importantly, it’ll make people smile.
Uz Naimat · 5.7k words  ·  30  3 · 652 views

Plot Analysis: The content of the plot develops linearly and follows the authorship of a recipe book that Pinkie has decided to make, treating it as a collection of all her knowledge and more or less a magnum opus. It is interspersed throughout Pinkie’s antics of getting her friends and family involved in the endeavour. These events, though connected by the creation of the book, also have a slightly disjointed anthological feel, which really helps lighten the tone and also reflects the structure of actual recipe books. 

Characters: Although the focus is on Pinkie Pie, the reader is treated to a wide cast of characters from EqG, including divulging into human Pinkie’s family, which we have only really seen in FiM. Thanks to the quick breaks and transitions from scene to scene, the large cast never makes this short story feel bloated, but rather, alive. However, the characters are not very dynamic. Despite the focus on Pinkie, she more or less ends in the same place she starts, and the publishing of a book is only to fulfill her wishes rather than affect some form of change upon her. 

Dialogue: When it comes to Pinkie, anything can go. For the most part, the dialogue and narration are consistent in their quality. There are some awkward wording or syntax choices in the narration, but one has to wonder if those are really errors, or just Pinkie’s chaos bleeding into the text itself. In any event, it doesn’t disrupt the reading of the text too much.

Overall: 7/10. Short and sweet and easily manageable if you can’t finish it in one read. It’s a slice of life story that doesn’t contain a specific message, but we’re shown the strength of Pinkie’s bonds with her friends and the success she finds through their support. And always it’s nice to have a little support in life.

However, the characters don’t change, so we are more or less following the execution of Pinkie’s plan and seeing the hiccups along the way. It’s well written and clearly not intended to be an in-depth character study. But that also means the engagement level is a lot lower for me personally. I have to make myself interested in Pinkie’s recipe book, rather than the story reaching out and hooking me in.

For the Author: Going through and rewording some passages can help elevate the overall quality. For example: “We do not have the luxury of time, Pinkamena. Our client will be here any day and we need to sell the products now,” said Cloudy Quartz, Pinkie’s mother.

Introducing Cloudy Quartz as PInkie’s mother should be done ahead of time when the scene is set. It gives the audience a clear understanding of the players within a scene, avoiding confusion between multiple different speakers. Furthermore, it sounds a little awkward to insert auxiliary details in the middle of a conversation. Moving those details can help hold the reader in the dialogue. Not the only mistake, there are some typos as well that change the tense of their sentences. Just look out for them.

(WAR's privacy policy reminds non-authors that they should have had their eyes closed for this section. WAR understands that this is impossible to enforce, but asks that you do so anyway)

For the Reader: It’s a good story, although I have to admit it’s not particularly “fulfilling,” so to speak. I've already spoken about the lack of development in the characters. Certainly, the goal of publishing a recipe book is completely within character, but the story doesn’t make larger implications for Pinkie or her friends. 

<For archive purposes: 7/10>

Thank you for the review.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2