Sunset's Isekai 262 members · 42 stories
Comments ( 18 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 18

This thought actually came to be a few nights past while taking a shower. Is Sunset's bar technically a TARDIS? It can go anywhere, anywhen in the multiverse, something if memory serves is something the TARDIS does in Dr Who. This brings me to another amusing thought that spring to mind. Now we all know Sunset is NOT a time lord (at least I dont think she is lol) but could she be considered an Honorary one?

Yet another thought that popped to mind is what if The Doctor would up visiting Sunset's Isekai and found her place fascinating. What do you think they would chat about?

No, Sunset's Bar is not a TARDIS. The bar is a pocket dimension outside of time and space allowing her to pop in and out of time and space with her leasier. The TERDIS can't go between dimensions at ease like Sunset's bar and is mainly a time machine/space ship.

Ah I see, does that mean her bar is more powerful?

I don’t think so. Of course, not being the author themself, I cannot say with certainty. But, I got the impression that the bar itself is based more on the restaurant from “Restaurant to Another World”. As such, unlike a TARDIS which is able to fly around time and space, the bar proper is fixed at one given point in the multiverse. The door itself, operating similarly to a wormhole, is able to appear and disappear where and when needed.

Also, I would say, if it IS a TARDIS, it’s a LOT more advanced than The Doctor’s. After all, his Type 40 is only able to hope along a single timeline, not jump to other timelines / universes without some serious wibbly wobbly going on in the background.

Different, I’d say. A device made for moving left and right, as opposed to the TARDIS, which moves up and down (and can sometimes do left-right).

Not exactly, its a pocket dimension. Thats it.

To be fair, the bar’s door can go up and down, Sunset just prefers not to unless absolutely necessary so as to avoid the hassles. (Recall the Three Sister’s chapter for an example)

I don’t recall, actually. I have a terrible memory. :twilightsheepish:

Pennington Inkwell
Group Contributor

Well, the TARDIS's outer shell (the police box) functions a lot like Sunset's door: leading to/containing a pocket universe while moving along the timeline and through 3D space. I think the difference is that Sunset's Bar is equipped for multidimensional travel. The TARDIS has been able to do that a couple times, but it's clearly not built for it and that is outside its intended functions.

I think Sunset's Bar is very similar to the TARDIS, but maybe is built for a different-but-similar type of travel. I know that the TARDIS is really the end-all when it comes to time/space ships in the minds of Doctor Who fans, but... I might go so far as to say that the bar is like a higher-functioning TARDIS, as much as that pains me to say. It's built for multidimensional travel, and time travel is a subset of those abilities. Seems like something the Time Lords might have made if they hadn't gotten fixated on being... well, time lords. Maybe Rarity got it from a universe where they didn't stagnate because of their non-intervention policy, but that's purely wishful thinking on my part.

Of course, in terms of the story it's a narrative force, not needing to be broken down too much. In the end, the bar is the bar. It always has been and always will be. Speculating's fun, though.

Peter Capaldi was one of my favorite Doctors.

The chief conceit is that the TARDIS is basically maintained as a pocket dimension by a coral native to Gallifrey. The Time Rotor (the thing in the main control room) is actually the only part of the machine that can let it travel time. Everything else is what they added to it. There's a living energy being which is induced to live in each TARDIS. They are naturally connected to the Time Vortex, and give the machine its ability to know where and when it is. That creature can also influence the TARDIS, and control where and when it goes. In The Doctor's Wife, the TARDIS entity, briefly placed inside a living being, tells him that while it doesn't always go where he wants, it always takes him where he needs to be.

The interior is immense. The Doctor once said that if the entire interior were let out into the physical universe, it would play hell with the gravity of the planet it happened on. Considering the interior power source is apparently a star held in temporal stasis on the edge of going supernova, it's probably the size of a small Dyson Sphere.

The interior structure can be created or destroyed as desired. It utilizes a form of matter conversion, managed by something called the Block Transfer system. Anything "destroyed" can be apparently completely recreated from the archival copy. Although he's lost a few things along the way he either couldn't restore or never bothered to.

The machine was technically stolen in his first lifetime. Although in the show mentioned above, the TARDIS entity actually says that she stole him, because she wanted to see the universe. When the Doctor corrects her and says he only "borrowed" the ship, she disagrees, telling him that borrowing suggests you intended to give it back. :pinkiehappy:

The Doctor has a truly staggering number of Companions in his various regenerations. Most pretty girls, especially lately. He's married a couple of the most exceptional ones. He didn't marry a couple, but clearly felt as much about.

Regenerating every time takes a toll. Time Lords can do it 10 times, but there's a catch. The process was invented by the Time Lord Rassilon, who also came up with a way to give more regeneration cycles. This appears to have been done for the Doctor recently, but it's not yet defined by the writers if this was another 10-cycle, or the much rarer "infinite cycle" that Rassilon developed for himself.

After twelve regenerations (including one where he regenerated back into the same guy, and the War Doctor,) he was so emotionally exhausted by the toll of always coming back that he apparently gave himself a totally fresh start by regenerating into a woman. She now seems to have a lot more wide-eyed enthusiasm for her lifestyle than she's had in a few regenerations, so it should be nice to see if that carries forward.

As far as other timelines, when they wound up in another universe, the Doctor said that when the Gallifreyans were at the height of their power, their TARDISes could absolutely do this. The science was largely abandoned in the Time War, so they stopped doing it. The suggestion, however, was that if the TARDIS had only been equipped with the right Gallifreyan doodad, it could have done it too.

The women thing doesn't count and should be considered official fanfiction. The writers of that particular show went out and retconned the entire thing just so they can say the Doctor started out life as a little black girl.

I know this goes off tangent. But because the female doctor retconned everything for modern, social, political, nonsense it shouldn't count. In fact to save her career Jodie Whittaker has left the show.

Think of a TARDIS only being able to do yes and no.
The BAR SHOULD be able to do yes and no as well but it's more in the direction of , maybe, possible, possibly, let me think on it, let me sleep on it, purple, neon, will AND more than likely a few others

Ah, heh. That sounds a lot like personal bias there. The articles on the subject simply say Jodie's rumoured to be leaving at the end of the upcoming season. Even if that's true, she'll have been the Doctor for three seasons. Not bad for the Doctor's first female series.

That's debatable. Your right its not bad and if she had better writers who cared about the show it might have actually been good. I gave up on the show when they decided to retcon everything for agenda. I've also given up on Star Trek with Discovery and Star Wars with the Last Jedi. It feels like I've given up on a lot in the last 5 years. At least I still have what came before, that's good enough for me.

I get that. My take on Fallen Order is that he's actually a Jedi training robot with a sophisticated hologram emitter, who's been programmed by a sadist to believe he's the real deal. His only real "Force powers" are simple telekinesis and super jumping. So a tractor/pressor emitter and boosted hydraulics, as well as simple use of a lightsaber. He doesn't evidence any real Force powers throughout the entire game, relying solely on abilities you could have built into a decoy bot.

The movies? Meh. Force Awakens was cool and had potential. But they jumped the shark when they introduced the lightspeed ram as the most effective military tactic, which begged the question why no one used it more often. And the final installment... Meh.

I haven't seen any of the recent Star Trek, but someone did a cute fan-snark based on Discovery crossed with Buck Rogers. You might get a kick out of this.

I don't buy games made by EA since the battlefront catastrophe, which I had bought.

You might find this hilarious.

I'm only familiar with Duck Dogers

I’d assume that they’d chat about what they’ve seen, and what Sunset has done that makes her bar not a standard TARDIS. I have seen two episodes of doctor who though, so definitely not an experienced viewer replying.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 18