The Insane Creators Guild 639 members · 2,221 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7
AntiBronyBenSwolo
Group Contributor

Sorry if this is getting in the way of your day, but I feel like I need to vent somewhere and get this off of my chest.

I'm starting to worry that I may have been a toxic friend to someone on Discord, and now I can't help but blame myself for letting this happen. I don't understand completely what I did to become so toxic, and I really wish I could ask my friend what it is so that I can ask for help and become a better person. More importantly, I want to tell them how sorry I truly am for being the way I was. But they cut me off. And honestly? They did the right thing.

Do you know the scariest things about villains like Tighten, Syndrome, Shadow Weaver, or Emperor Belos? The scariest thing about them is not their strength or their magic or their powers or their tech. The scariest thing about these four villains is that they could very well be real people. And one of my biggest fears was never to face off against them, but to become them. And now that this has happened, I'm scared it might have just become a reality.

Again, so sorry if this was getting in the way of your scrolling. I just needed a place to get this off of my chest.

GreatDragonLord
Group Contributor

This is a very interesting nuance of our psychology. We are predisposed to become what we fear to become the most. Because our attention is focused more on fear.
Therefore, it is better to look for positive examples and follow them. Train your own willpower so that your attention does not shift back towards the negative.
And if your "friend", as you called him, cut off all ties with you after one small quarrel, then it was a shitty friend.

Bad Dragon
Group Contributor

7962580 If this didn't happen, you would have never learned and you'd still be riding on the path to villainy.

Without negative consequences, evil has no obstacle that would keep it from spreading. The more you're hurting from regrets, the more protected you are from evil influences. If you could talk to your friend again, that shield would lessen. The current situation is optimal.

My rule of thumb is that if you worry about being a toxic person and question yourself, you are far from it because most toxic people refuse to see their faults. I usually ask people about this in private all the time but only with people I trust. However I have a toxic person self check in my group The Non Toxic Mlp Fan Club if you are that concerned.

Kiernan
Group Contributor

I've been on the opposite side of this, and I can say that it's not a great place to be for either party.

Take a step back, reevaluate yourself (as you should do regularly), and figure out a way to move forward. If they never unblock you, the bridge is unsalvageable, and there's nothing you can do but use this as an opportunity to learn and prevent this from happening in the future. If they do unblock you, remain calm, explain your plan for your relationship going forward, and stick to it. If they unblock you just to yell at and berate you, to call you names and be as mean as they can, then they're the ones being toxic, and you deserve better.

Take control of yourself, and you take control of the situation. What's most important is that you take a look at yourself and ask yourself if you're in the right. If you're not sure, ask a neutral third party that you trust, but you need to reevaluate and keep in your mind the possibility that you might be wrong. But you may also be right. The only way to tell is to step back and look at the situation from an outside perspective.

CROSSOVER KING
Group Contributor

To quote Charles Xavier from the X-Men movies, “Just because someone stumbles, loses their way, doesn’t mean they are lost forever.”

Do not allow a single mistake to define who you are for the rest of your life. The fact that you are acknowledging your mistake means you have already taken the first step towards improving yourself. All you have to do is keep moving forward.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7