E.R.A 378 members · 339 stories
Comments ( 17 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 17

What do any of you genuinely think and feel about the From Nobody To Nightmare trope, and why?

The reason I’m asking is because I have an idea about the minor antagonists of the show (Blueblood, The Washouts, etc) becoming more competent enemies than before.

I'm confused as to why people consider Blueblood a villain rather then just some annoying jackass.

The same reason that they made Chrysalis an altruistic villain on the early years? Or the CMC walking accidents?

It's fine enough if you like that sort of thing. Drama and action plays do it often enough to create a sense of tension to build up a villain (or mystery if the story deliberately obscures their identity).

I think it can be fun sometimes, but I worry about overdoing it. Not every jerk is a great villain in the making. Some are just... jerks.

I mean, if it is like how The Dark Side from Star Wars, or The Darkness from Kingdom Hearts works it could go after anyone I guess.

It's not just a trope that applies to Antagonists. Oftentimes, this Trope is seen in-relation to any individual that has the capacity to pose a significant threat to any sort of figure that is in a position of power that manages to reach that pinnacle from a position where they are completely ignored or at times flying under the proverbial radar when they begin their journey. Sometimes even the Evil Overlord would find themselves in this situation where the Hero destined to defeat them would not come from a Kingdoms Royal Family or even the Knights that protect the realm, sometimes it would be the simple Farmers or Hunters or Blacksmith that would show the capacity of becoming that Hero meant to defeat the Evil Overlord using their skillsets or knowledge to either overcome or evade the obstacles that the Overlord tries putting in their way.

Like Emmet of the Lego Movie

Would that apply to Biff from the Back to the Future franchise?

Or The Hunter from Bloodborne, especially if they were of the Waste of Skin background.

Technically he almost became Nightmare Blueblood

More likely he's talking about the "go-nowhere" kinds of jerks like Cardin Winchester from RWBY, Hahn from Avatar: The Last Airbender, or Stinkmeaners' Clone from The Boondocks: the sort of people that while their actions are indeed well-known about are usually seen as annoying to our protagonists aren't entirely outright malicious and as such poses no credible threat to anyone that knows them.

How ?

When?
when did that almost happen ?

For Emmet: near the end during the final battle against Lord Business.

For Biff: at the beginning of the second Back to the Future movie.

For Biff: at the beginning of the second Back to the Future movie.

don't you mean when he gets the Sports Almanac

The Deviations comic.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 17