The Writing Process 280 members · 902 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10

I am working on a story where the main character helps a stray mare, the next day he discovers that she has taken on the role of being his maid. What sort of things would you suggest trying to work into the story to make it entertaining (keep it clean and SFW)?

Edit: Let me clarify something. I don't need help with making the maid character. What I need is help coming up with something for the protagonist and the maid to do (while also being SFW).

Maids clean and make things tidy.
Not sure they cook.

You could probably google,"What do maids do" too.

So you have to cover the mare cleaning up the guy's apartment or house.
If properly done, you can leave hints on the nature of the protagonist.

"There were some bending sticks behind your bed. One was the shape of a fist. There were a bunch of rolled paper towels beside them, so I figured it's all trash, and I opted to throw it away."

"You did what!?!"

"When I was throwing it all into a trashcan, your mother asked if she can have the rubbery sticks. When I told her they were yours, she wanted to have them even more, and she kept licking her lips while rubbing them."

keep it clean and SFW

Oh, my bad...

6841792 True, though admittedly the story doesn't have to be completely maid related. I am kind of trying to figure out some ideas to make the story interesting.

6841800 I... Uh... I'm not sure what to say.:applejackconfused:

There is sometimes a head maid. The head maid acts as steward when none is present (large estates have both); which includes managing the entire estate when owner is not there. Also covers any money making the estate might do. Normally the head maid just leads the other maids.

Ps: they can cook.

Most of my knowledge comes from more medieval sources so being a female job it's scope is limited. Any job a valet or butler does can be performed by a maid. Such maids tend to be paid better.

See what you could learn about maids.
That could yield info that you could use.

I hope you know or have some idea where the story is going.

Let me clarify something. I don't need help with making the maid character. What I need is help coming up with something for the protagonist and the maid to do (while also being SFW).

A lot of what they are doing is gonna be character driven, though. Is she an experienced maid, an inexperienced maid, or had no idea what a maid does and is trying to do it anyways? What things is she good and bad at as far as maid related skills? Is the protagonist used to having a maid, and are they organized or disorganized usually?

I mean, it's probably gonna be things like dusting, cleaning, making beds, changing sheets, doing laundry, folding it, cleaning bathrooms, cleaning windows and floors, vacuuming, cooking and serving food, and so on, but how good the maid is at any of that, and if it's disrupting how everything is organized, not accounting for food tastes and allergies, and things like that, will make a big difference...

--Sweetie Belle

6842128 These are indeed good questions to ask... Let's see if I can answer them without giving too much away.

Is the protagonist used to having a maid, and are they organized or disorganized usually?

No, he hasn't ever had a maid before and his career he appears to be messy but everything is organized and has its place.

Is she an experienced maid, an inexperienced maid, or had no idea what a maid does and is trying to do it anyways?

She isn't an experienced maid but she has done some research on the matter (sort of), and so she thinks she's a good maid. She is very tidy, organized and good at cleaning. Much to the protagonist's dismay. :raritywink:

Another few questions (that don't need to answered, to us at least)

How does the protagonist feel about someone cleaning his place? (I ask as my grandfather once had a maid and grandmother would clean before she arrived feeling shame that any nonfamily would A; see her house as messy, B; clean up her mess. It bothered grandfather to no end)

Is she going to be cleaning things she is unfamiliar with? (Possibly ruining or shrinking things by accident)

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10