My Little Reviews & Feedback 506 members · 862 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
TThe Last Play Date
Flurry Heart is 16 and finds her Play Dates with her Father coming to an End
Caladis · 3.2k words  ·  20  1 · 356 views

The Last Play Date is a Slice of Life DRAMA about Shining Armor and Flurry Heart's final play date, with the latter now entering her young adult years. Yes, a proper DRAMA this time. The comedy has been pared back much harder, lending itself to be steeped in further character growth in this saga.

Let me get this out of the way, out of the "Play Date" trilogy, I still prefer the second installment out of the lot, but this story is no slouch. I guess I can chalk it up to personal bias, as I tend to enjoy comedies a bit more than dramas. There are those rare moments where a drama can outshine comedies for me, but I digress. The point is, The Last Play Date is an excellent finale to a fun concept of Shining Armor's quest in being the best bad but ethically good father ever while Flurry Heart learns a bit more about herself, both for good and ill.

Pacing was a bit quicker than I would have liked, but considering the subject matter, I suppose it's to be much more expected, with the whole situation blowing up in their faces and the plot of this story hitting the ground running. Though, it also did slow down considerably by the half way mark when the second twist of the story decided to step in (after a very risky move by Flurry Heart was made in the heat of the moment). Though, considering she was training with the best of the best, I suppose one's risky move could have just been foalsplay to her.

Flow is just as good at the previous story, seamlessly going from a lighthearted jaunt out in the frozen wastes outside the empire to a top priority emergency with believable recourse. Flurry herself, especially with the prior stories' context, shows how she can be just a daddy's girl to a full blown leader in a believable manner, slipping into the role with... some slightly alarming resolve.

In the end, this is the finale of her play dates, but now that those are done, it seems like real dates are on the table? Will she get proper good advice, well to do unorthodox advice, or mildly psychopathic bad advice when it comes to being a young mare around young stallions? Who knows with this sword simp.

8/10. This was a great story, and if it does continue, I wouldn't mind checking out what will happen. though, perhaps, it would be better to make later stories of Flurry Heart from this saga a single anthology instead of a series of separate one-offs?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1