The Official Generation Five Site 686 members · 1,959 stories
Comments ( 15 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 15
RedRanger3142
Group Admin

One of the few problems I have with G5 is the name of the chapter four special. The moment I saw the trailer for the first time alarm bells started ringing in my head and made me wonder if the staff actually bothered to do their homework on real life music festivals before they picked the name for the festival that Pipp hosted in the special. For those of you wondering why I’m concerned about a name, it’s because the name Bridlewoodstock is clearly inspired by the real life music festival Woodstock, and if you don’t know why that’s cause for alarm watch the attached video and I think you’ll understand.

Because Woodstock is almost universally recognised as a large music festival? It's just a reference that works well in the context of the episode.

RedRanger3142
Group Admin

I know Woodstock is a favourite music festival, but once you look into what actually happened at it you question why it’s something they would ever want to associate MLP with.

MLP is famously known for its’ puns and as the other person mentioned before, Briddlewoodstock is basically a pun for the real world WoodStock Festival. A music festival that has events every year. I just think bad things just happen at big events like that but it is still a popular music festival, and we shouldn’t dwell too much on the past. I think we can still enjoy things like that while at the same time recognizing that bad history. I think the festival is more than just the past and is still apart of American culture but with large events like that, something bad happening is bound to happen. That is just what happens when a event like that gets too large and I feel that the episode it was featured in did a good job is saying that even though there was bad history behind something we can still enjoy and acknowledge it. I feel that was the entire moral of that episode.

Quite correct. Much like how "the Man of Steel" is still a popular nickname for Superman even though it was ALSO the nickname of one of the greatest VILLAINS in REAL LIFE.

Interesting, I did not know this.

Stalin, he was equally bad as Hitler. Hitler if you look at good numbers of both hos Jewish and gentile victims actually has similar numbers.

Yes. It's true. Of course, it is a pretty obscure piece of information, but it was actually mentioned on Jeopardy, one of the Marvel's "What If?" ("What if the Fantastic Four were Cosmonauts?") and "Epic Rap Battles of History" that "the Man of Steel" was also a nickname for Josef Stalin.

Quite well said.

Neat, that is an interesting piece of info.

Maybe you can tell us what it should have been named if not that one.

RedRanger3142
Group Admin

Maybe the “Lum-a-Bloom” music festival. It’s not very creative, but considering it’s said natural phenomenon that inspired Pipp to host the festival the name could reflect this fact.

I mean
Bad things happened at the one in mlp soooo yeah?

Because the actual target audience probably doesn't know about all that went on? If they've even heard of Woodstock. The fact that there wasn't anything said from parents or other groups shows just how little this actually matters.

The Blue EM2
Group Admin

It's a play on words. Woodstock is also remembered positively on pop culture, but was also quite chaotic (much like the music festival in the special). At least they didn't call it Bridaltamont...

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 15