Uncommon Dazzling Ships 272 members · 441 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8
forbloodysummer
Group Admin

Each month we will be spotlighting one pairing, or suggesting a writing prompt. As you may have seen on the main page, this month's area of focus is Adagio x Celestia.

Most stories out there suggest the sirens are immortal. So the idea that a being at least a thousand years old would be interested in a schoolgirl is, uh... let's go with 'far-fetched.' And while another immortal would be hard to come by, an adult would at least be a step in the right direction and somewhat more plausible. And Principal Celestia, as the authority figure of the Equestria Girls franchise, is probably the most adult adult Adagio has access to.

Celestia, for her part, spends her days around children, with only her colleagues to see her as something other than a sexless authority figure. Teachers work famously long hours, and if that's just as true for headteachers, then Celestia probably doesn't get out much. And those colleagues are off-limits because she's their boss and no one likes lawsuits. Into this situation enters a student with some very grown-up appetites, who literally bedazzles Celestia, and then gets herself kicked out of school and thus removes herself from Celestia's duty of care. It's not the fairytale setup, but I think Celestia accepts the value of compromise.

What would someone as caring as Celestia see in someone as callous as Adagio? What would Adagio, who dreams and then works to make them into reality, see in an unimaginative bureaucrat like a high school principal? Maybe years after the Battle of the Bands Celestia is still haunted by the time she lost her bodily autonomy, and seeks out Adagio to get closure. Maybe Adagio applies for a job as CHS guidance counsellor because that would be hilarious. Maybe another school or workplace telephones Celestia to ask for a character reference for Adagio, and there's indecision over whether to be forthcoming or whether to lie and help Adagio find her footing for a second chance.

Artwork provided by scraggleman, with the piece further up by thebrokencog.

If this is a ship you like the sound of, this thread is probably a good place to discuss it. I joined this group not just to see all the unusual siren ships in one place, but to encourage others to write more of them, so if you're thinking of writing a Adagio x Celestia story or have one in the works already, by all means let us know in the thread below. Or just discuss the ship: what you like about it and why, what problems you've encountered with it before, what scenarios you can envision for the two of them. Just talking about it like that can inspire others with new story ideas, some of which might get written down, at which point we all benefit :twilightsmile:

I've only seen this ship fic'd once (and then more as sex than romance, featuring a seductive but callous Adagio), but would love to see more. :heart: Admittedly, this comes more from my fondness for Principal Celestia than any actual belief in their compatibility. The poor girl has quite limited canon options due to the dynamic of EQG, leaving Adagio as one of the few able to fill the slot.

Like most any siren romance, it would need at least a grudging half-redemption. A few of my own, silly ideas for the ship include:

-Adagio finds the idea of banging the human version of Equestria's Biggest Catch to be really, really, hot.
-Very old and experienced, it is in fact Adagio who proves the seasoned, patient, older partner, walking the shy virgin Celestia through her first romance.
-Both busy professionals, they meet after Adagio graduates, Adagio asks her out on a lark, and they have a busy, modern kind of romance. More to give each other a stable rock than to share adventures, enjoying quiet nights in with Chinese food and movies.

Sunset x Celestia eh? Hm I might try my hand. Writing has been difficult lately

"Hey, Sunset. Your mom's hot."

"Shut Up, Adagio!"

A mere statement of fact.:moustache:

forbloodysummer
Group Admin

That's a good way of looking at it - the pairing seems a wildcard until you consider the alternatives for Principal Celestia, and then it becomes one of the better options. I've read that story you mentioned too (saw your comment), it's definitely one of the better ones. I genuinely hadn't thought about the redemption requirement for this, but I suspect you're right. Well, or Adagio can drag Celestia to the dark side ("You run a facility the students legally cannot get out of attending. Half of them already think you're Cerberus, might as well embrace it").

I like the thought of them meeting somewhere completely different, where a story can focus more on their personalities than their history. A modern romance would be fun to see! Though I struggle to see Adagio not doing something big, or at least trying to. I guess coming home to Celestia could be her winding down after a crushing day on the campaign trail?

Yeah, it's not like Sunset can disagree there with a straight face!

Sometimes it's good to try something new if the familiar things are stuck in the mud. This could be just the thing.

I like the thought of them meeting somewhere completely different, where a story can focus more on their personalities than their history.

I appreciate that, because their history is... you know. Adagio was her student, and they do not get more compatible from there.:twilightoops:

Though I struggle to see Adagio not doing something big, or at least trying to. I guess coming home to Celestia could be her winding down after a crushing day on the campaign trail?

I see Celestia as being the super-domestic type, so perhaps the perfect person to be there when Adagio needs to get away for a while.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8