SunLight Sliders 90 members · 2 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10
Amber Spark
Group Admin

If you've got questions about SLS2 that haven't been answered in the main project outline, let's hear them!

I've got a few, yup.

So there's a "No repeated characters" rule. Is that for OCs, or everyone? Specifically, does it apply to the protagonist pair of the first story making cameos (like how a bunch of other Sunsets and Twilights, including SS2's Sci-Twi and Sunset, were in SS1)? SS1 did a great job of throwing a bone to Sunlight shippers of all worlds, not just Princess Twi, and I'd hate to see that theme be stepped on by virtue of this rule. Returning the favor, you know?

There's also a "No grimdark" rule. How does that mesh with the fact that the Sunset from the end of SS1 is as roughed-up as she is? Seems like it would be a bit of mood whiplash starting with that, ignoring the inevitable question of what caused it, and going to fuzzy feels all the time.

Chapter endings and segues: how possible would it be to set the thing up so that authors can say how they'd like to begin/end chapters (fresh transition, mid-world, don't care) and then select the author order from there? Seems like it would be possible and help everyone get a little more of what they want.

Related to that, what if, once the author order is decided, there's a pair that decides they want to conspire together in planning to make their chapters tie together better? Would that be permissible if it was all in good fun?

Will Gdocs be required for this, for those of us who don't use it?

Since there's apparently a group and Discord and everything now for this, and the first SS was done without any of that, what's the likelihood this will become a yearly thing and there will be a SS3?

I'm not on board with this yet, but you could definitely sell me on it.

Amber Spark
Group Admin

So there's a "No repeated characters" rule. Is that for OCs, or everyone?

The primary focus on this is to make sure key story elements do not get rehashed, such as Tirek, the Accord, Aeon, Voyager Sparkle/Shimmer and the like. For example, an early chapter had Sunset and Princess Twilight running into Princess Sunset and Princess Twilight, who had undergone a Celestia/Luna-style rift. While you couldn't use those specific characters, you could use another set of Alicorn Sunset and Twilights, such as ones who maybe ascended together as fellow students of the Magic of Friendship.

The goal is to inspire new creative worlds and characters, instead of returning to the ones that have been used before. Themes and similarities are fine.

There's also a "No grimdark" rule. How does that mesh with the fact that the Sunset from the end of SS1 is as roughed-up as she is?

There's a difference between combat and grimdark. For example, the "King Sombra Universe" where all of Equestria was ash was in reality very dark, but written in a way where the impact wasn't as severe. In addition, it will be the responsibility of the first author (likely me) to help explain that and set the tone.

Love is in Doom by Aragon is a great example. If you think about the setting, it's insanely grimdark, but the story itself isn't because the story doesn't focus on that. Often, it's more about delivery and tone than specific subject material (not always, of course).

Chapter endings and segues

This would end up complicating matters a fair bit and also has a huge potential for drama if a specific author wants to do something, but the author before/after is "requesting" a specific setup that doesn't work with what the first author is doing. The goal of the project is to be an improv where each author has to work with what they're given!

there's a pair that decides they want to conspire together in planning to make their chapters tie together better?

The entire point of this project is an improv collaboration. Conspiring together goes against the spirit of the project! So we definitely want to keep everyone having fun and playing the same game.

Will Gdocs be required for this, for those of us who don't use it?

Actually, the story chapters will be posted in a special comment thread here in the group, as it was in SLS1.

Since there's apparently a group and Discord and everything now for this, and the first SS was done without any of that, what's the likelihood this will become a yearly thing and there will be a SS3?

The first one did have a Discord, but sadly very few used it. I have some tentative plans for expansions of this group as well. However, as we're not even starting this one yet, I'd rather not say one way or another if we're going to do a SLS3, but I'm not opposed to it!

You said that authors will be vetted before being admitted. What for?

Amber Spark
Group Admin

Originally, this was because in the original SLS1 there were a few issues with some authors regarding their attitude toward a collaboration project and the quality of their writing. The project suffered somewhat because of that inconsistency. We want to make sure to give everyone the best adventure possible!

Now, we have a totally different issue! The truth of the matter is we'll likely need to have a cut-off point, or else this project will last half a year, which is a bit more than many people may want to invest in something like this! We're still discussing specifics on when/if that will happen.

So.... If I have a fic where a character is travelling between worlds like them, I can write a chapter where they meet said character?

Not being an Official Organizer, I would say no. An off hand reference might be okay, but not an outright cameo. Like, somebody could refer to Displaced fics by grumbling about "those crazy Merchants" but never actually say "I have met a Displaced!"

So, about this author vetting process, how does it work?

Amber Spark
Group Admin

While having a passing comment regarding an OC that appears in a scene would probably be okay, anything more than that would be excessive. Remember, the focus is to ship Sunset and Twilight! The focus should definitely not be about meeting any particular original character. The overarching storyline of SLS2 will be revealed in January!

The vetting process is being done by a group of authors, veterans of SunLight Sliders 1 or other collabs, or authors who have considerable experience. Most were selected before SLS2 was even announced. All that's really done is an author or two reads some of the contributor's stories and see if they'll be a good fit for SLS2!

In truth, we may actually have to limit the number of people! I was definitely not expecting nearly fifty applicants!

*Glances at 92 stories*

You, ah...

you need a little help with that or what?

Amber Spark
Group Admin

Don't worry! We're working on it!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10