Legends of Magic: Pillars Of Equestra 201 members · 122 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11

So I rewatched Shadow Play recently, out of boredom, and I realized something I never thought of before during the second half. Stygian gathered the Pillars together so that they could defeat the Dazzlings. We've been given stories about the individual legends throughout the season and seeing them all team up with Starswirl was pretty cool. But that got me thinking, were they all friends before?

In past seasons, Starswirl never mentioned any of the other Pillars in his journals, according to Twilight. So were they all really friends before Stygian brought them all together? And how close were they when they were together? When I first saw this two-parter, I was not expecting Starswirl to act like a grade-A dick waffle to everyone, especially to Twilight and Starlight. And he didn't hang out with any of the other Pillars that much either. The only time he appreciated Twilight was when she came up with a spell to banish Stygian while he was corrupted by the dark shadow thing. And as far as I can tell, he was the only Pillar who was upset with Twilight bringing them back. Hell, Mage Meadowbrook acted more like a team leader than he did.

I got the impression that Starswirl only hung out with the other Pillars when it was necessary; as if he were using them for their skills and then ignored them when the problem was solved. The same thing with Twilight, I was getting the idea that once the corrupted Stygian was banished, he would just resort back to treating Twilight like trash. Luckily, he did change and Stygian was saved.

But I still had my suspicions of him throughout the episode. Which returns to my original question, was Starswirl really friends with the other Pillars? Did he just use other ponies for his own agenda in the past? Idk, just something to think about. For all we know he could've been a selfish, egotistical wizard who acted like he knew everything. Which he probably did.

Interesting question.

Just recall Magical Mystery Cure, Princess Celestia stated herself that the spell he made wasn't complete without friends which made sense. He didn't understood friendship. The pillars were more like associates for the better of Equestria.

And this may not be the first time he was mean to others. Just see the Refelections arc and how he treated Celestias' feelings over the "greater good"

I personally don't know but I view Starswirl as how Twilight would have turned out without the "Magic of Friendship", in my eyes he is like a version of Twilight that wasn't sent to Ponyville and is more concerning with "Protecting the Realm", "Study and Research" and only interact with other only when its necessary or when is needed.

I can say that Star Swirl The Beared never counted anyone as friends, but I think that the rest few each other as friends in some form, like Starlight and Thorax.

greater good

Star Swirl definitely didn't seem to view his fellow Pillars as friends. Comrades and equals, perhaps, but not friends. As for the other Pillars, well, they definitely seem to be on better terms with one another, even if you don't take the comics into account.

6312083 I don't think Starswirl considered the pillars to be his friends. They were accquaintances, teammates, comrades. He teamed up with them because their skills were necessary to protect the realm and that was it.

Yeah, but the interesting part, to me at least, is that he lived his whole life with that viewpoint and how he will look back at his actions now that Twilight showed him the "Magic of Friendship" could make an interesting character arc combined with adjusting to the modern world, granted unlike Luna he has new friends, I suppose, his new interactions with his fellow Pillars could be interesting as well.

I just had a funny image in my head involving the "Pillar of Equestria" and the "Pillar Men".

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11