Flashfic 253 members · 77 stories
Comments ( 19 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 19
Loganberry
Group Admin

The extreme heat* has now subsided, thankfully, and so I'm actually going to get the new Flashfic 150 contest up on the correct day. Don't knock it, this is me I'm talking about! -- it's quite an achievement! Anyway, for newcomers and those who'd like a reminder, here are the full rules.

Here are the full rules.

Remember, there is no prize, as such, for this contest -- but if you win, you will be able to choose the prompt for the next contest. You'll also get a mention on the group's front page. Okay, I suppose you don't have to, if you've gone all S1 Fluttershy and don't want anyone to notice you. But so far, nobody has decided that Logan liking their fic is a mark of eternal shame. Quite surprising, really. Here are the August details:

Prompt: "I Thought We Were Friends" (selected by last month's winner, KwirkyJ)
Rating: E or T
Word limit: 150
Closing date: Wednesday 21st August 2019, 11:59 pm UK time (world clock)

Please reply to this post with your entry. This makes it easier for me to keep track. Please do not leave feedback until after the closing date.

Entries are now open! Have fun! :twilightsmile:

Maya Angelou once said, 'If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.' So I guess I'm gonna have to change my approach with these stories into a territory that's outside of my usual.

Until Then, Do We Part

"So..." Trixie lowered her teacup, "I was just a phase for you."

"No you're not." Starlight said reassuringly.

"It's just like with Maud. It was girls' night out every week, just the three of us. But when Mudbriar came by, it started to become the two of us every other week. And eventually..."

"That's not going to happen with me and Sunburst."

"He's going to be the most impotent pony in your life. When you need support, he'll be close by. And when you need a partner, you'll think of him first. You're already too busy for me with your counseling, what do you think a husband will bring? And if you have any foals..."

"Trixie..."

"........I'll leave you to your wedding plans." Trixie pushed herself from the table. "I might as well start planning too." she choked on her words, "That year-long world tour doesn't seem that impossible now."

A book sat happily on the shelf in Twilight's castle library. It's title "Powerful Objects" was hidden from view on the front cover, but the initials "PO" were clearly visible on its spine. To the right of it, a second book sat. The first book didn't know the title, only that the initials "NY" embellished the spine. “PO” liked having the other book for company. "PO" and "NY". They seemed to fit well together.

One morning, the first book suddenly realised that its companion was missing. Twilight must have taken it down to read! Upon scanning the shelves, the book spotted "NY" hastily tucked in a far corner. This made "PO" sad. Why had it been left alone? To make matters worse, "NY" now sat to the right of another book. This one had "BUN" on its spine. Stupid cook books.

Weird Ways of Asking

“Daddy’s sending me to the prestigious University of Canterlot.” Diamond Tiara waited for the right reaction.

“That’s nice.” Without looking up, Apple Bloom continued adjusting her cider-o-matic.

Canterlot.

“Ah heard. Pass the wrench while you’re here?”

“Which means,” continued Diamond in her talking-to-slow-ponies voice, “I’ll be away for a year.

“Great. Send letters.”

It took what little self-control Diamond had to not strangle her. “Don’t you care? I’m going to Canterlot! While you’re stuck here!”

“And we’ll love that!” Finally, Apple Bloom tittered and faced her, blushing. “Sorry. Bad joke. Ah’ll organize a goodbye hoedown. It’s… not much.”

Diamond saw her wince and took rare if misunderstood pity. “No need. Daddy’s organizing a farewell soiree.”

“Well, maybe one’s for family and rich folk, other’s for friends and… not-rich folk?”

“We’re friends?”

Smiling, Apple Bloom returned to wrenching. “Shoot, we’ve been friends ages. Ain’t it obvious?”

Relieved, Diamond sighed. “Thought so.”

I Scream for Ice Cream

"What exactly are you doing?"

"Well, ah came by, and this was just sitting out on the table. Ah thought I might just have a little."

"But...but..."

It's mighty good ice cream by the way. Maybe you should try some. Oh, will you look at that, I might've eaten it all. Or at least most of it."

"All of it?"

"You do it all the time."

"But it was mine. Mine."

"At least I was honest about eating it. Twilight never told ya, but she took that pint that went missing last month."

Rarity's eye twitched for a moment. Her cheeks became red. Steam poured out of her ears. She shoved out the door again. As she ran, Applejack could hear her scream. "She is so getting it now! Stealing my stress ice cream. And I thought we were friends!"

Applejack shrugged, taking another scoop of the ice cream.

I am not eligible to win, but I still want to write something. Going with one of the more obvious interpretations of the prompt.

EDIT: I changed my mind again. Trying to write the best story I can, and the original wasn't it.

Ratatouille

It would have been impolite to refuse, after all, but that wasn't the reason I agreed.

Just dinner. Just talk. Simple. Nice.

Things had always been awkward since the Love Poison Incident, and it was a pleasant gesture, his reaching out. It was as good an opportunity as any to reconnect.

He'd chosen ratatouille, what with the summer abundance. He mumbled his apologies for our taking so long to get everything on the stove and simmering. Not as though here were in a hurry to be rid of me, but…

Dinner and talk. Simple.

…there were too many of those little moments where the conversation would wash up short and leave that stretch of silence again. The awkwardness would have been cute if it weren't uncomfortable.

Work. Life. Family. Simple things. Safe things.

The parting smiles were genuine, I think.

Do friends do dinner and chit-chat like that?

Elite

Diamond Tiara. My best friend since diapers. There are pictures to prove it -- mommy keeps them locked in a fireproof safe 'for future blackmail purposes,' whatever that means. I wish she'd let me keep the one with us taking a bath in the sink. I think it's cute.

Going over to house was always the best. The outdoor pool during the summer, the fireplace in the winter. The phonograph while we'd play. Diamond Tiara likes her house better, too, which was fine with me. I like how it smells.

It is always what she wants. I never really thought of it that way, before. Not that I mind -- not many ponies can relate like we can. Our background. Our history.

Yet, when I watch the Crusaders, or whatever they call their club, I wonder... what is friendship supposed to be? To look like?

Are we friends? Or are they?

I, uh... I had an idea for this, but then I decided to use it to develop a longer story. Don't hold it against me! :raritydespair:

I'll see if I can come up with another more suitable story for the limits of the contest.

Alright, I got this, been gone for a while, but this one had an idea come right to mind.

———

Crashing Star

Princess Luna looks outside, and smiles as the moon rises in front of the sun. The voice is happy... it’s quiet. This is what they wanted, this is what the world needed! Isn’t it?

He said that he would always support her. He said he would always be her friend.

Then she stands on top of her sister. Celestia lays defeated on the ground, and the moon shines it’s beautiful light. Then she turns around.

He stands there, an Element around his neck, and five others behind him.

The only sound is his long beard hitting the ground as he hangs his head.

Starswirl looks up at Luna, and his eyes carry the same honesty he has always carried. He floats into the air with the other five, and only uttersmone word, “I’m sorry.”

I have been completely stumped on this one till today and after re-watching "Between Dark and Dawn" this odd little idea popped into my head.

--------------------------------------------------XXX--------------------------------------------------

Luna Lament

“I miss you so, I thought we would always be friends. Such a short time when we were never apart. You came to me in such sorrow and we became entwined as one till you were taken away and now you touch me but twice a day”

The moon stretched out her soft light, caressing the elegant castle perched high on a mountain side, seeping through the closed curtains to where her sole mate lie sleeping.

“Yet I can not be sad in my loneliness, for you have returned to one who loves you. I know, for I felt her touch over those years and it was never for me, always a gentle caress and soft lullaby for you. She missed you as I miss you now. Sleep well dear Princess, my shepherdess, for once more we shall have our brief encounter afore the dawn.”

Some amazing work in here already. I have enjoyed reading them all so far. Will pop my go up I had imagined this as an over heard conversation. Maybe by Cozy Glow or maybe before by some curious Everfree forest critter. I've felt rather sorry for Chrysalis in the later episodes.

One sided argument

"What no you know that isn't true!

"My plans are not desperate they only fail because of unexpected factors"

"What do you mean keep fooling myself?

"So why don't you come up with something better, you were always the smart one"

"Blah blah blah that's all you ever do berate me day in day out"

"Now your just being petty and rude"

"How dare you I will get my revenge! I will crush Starlight, cocooning the rest to feed my new hive"

"It will not fail your only saying that because you have no faith in me, some friend you are"

"I created you so if I'm useless so are you, stupid weak pathetic!

"Wait.. no come back I'm sorry.. don't leave me alone. I wont be nasty to you again, your the only one I can talk to…please?"

Silence rolled in all around as a purple piece of wood fell to her feet.

Loganberry
Group Admin

Thank you to everyone who has entered so far. For anyone else, or if anyone who's already entered wishes to edit their fic before the deadline, you have a little over 37 hours left as I type. :twilightsmile:

Loganberry
Group Admin

6942366 6944559 6946747 6947832 6947969 6956826 6960743 6962948
All right, folks: your time is up! Eight entries this month, which is a pretty decent number -- thank you to all who had a go. Welcome to oilyvalves, who I believe is a debutant at FF150. Always good to see new writers around here! :twilightsmile:

As usual, I shall take a few days to judge the entries before announcing the winner.

Feedback is now open!

Loganberry
Group Admin

6942366 6944559 6946747 6947832 6947969 6956826 6960743 6962948
Well, looks like nobody wanted/had time to offer feedback, so let's get to the results post instead!

This was a tough one to judge. Every single entry had something about it, whether it was a poke in the feels or a poke on the funny bone. Everyone give yourself a yay! :yay:

But here goes. An honourable mention to Amereep, for a story that certainly fits in the "feels" category. I do suspect that "impotent" is supposed to be "important", though, and I've read it as such -- since as it stands, Trixie's words would carry a very different message! The winning entry, though, is that from Impossible Numbers. A satisfying scene, of the sort I wish we had in the show, rather than its having almost totally ignored DT since her reformation.

So congratulations to you, Impossible Numbers! You know how it goes: please select a prompt for the September contest and post it right here.

If anyone does want to offer feedback, I'll leave the thread open. Otherwise, I'll see you (those of you who enter, at least) in a little over a week's time. Thank you again to all who entered. :twilightsmile:

KwirkyJ thinks!
...a bit belatedly, it would seem. Critiques in reverse order this time.

One sided argument
On the technical side, this needs a lot of work, including the title. Re-read what you've written and try to imagine not having written it -- either you are reading someone else's work whom you admire, or you're able to take yourself out of the mindset. Writing 150 words may feel like the kind of thing you can whip out -- and perhaps you can -- but tight constraints give even less margin for sloppiness.

For the story, given this being a somewhat deranged Chrysalis, I buy it.

Luna Lament

Personally, I have a soft spot for Luna, so of course i liked this one. The point comes across clearly and simply, and doesn't overssay its welcome -- perfectly suited for this microfiction format.

Be careful with comma splices; they may be a deliberate choice, but they seem more distracting to me. I also question how much you need the exposition in the middle -- perhaps you could find a way to convey that 'reaching out' within the speech instead? Food for thought.

Crashing Star

This one feels like it's jumping around a lot, scene-wise, so I can't really settle into it. The perspective also shifts between Luna Nightmare and Star Swirl (or omniscient?), which doesn't help, nor do the few technical flubs. "its beautiful", no verb for "I'm sorry", what voice (first paragraph)? Needs work, but has a good start.

Elite

Both the original and final story suffer the problem of lacking space to set things up for the reader -- it is unclear how the narrator is feeling, so the reader is left confused.

I Scream for Ice Cream

A cute idea, but I don't buy how Rarity's ire is so easily deflected to a (potentially innocent) third party. Also, for the love of best princess, please avoid using the affectation 'Ah' for 'I', and if for whatever reason you do at least be consistent about it.

Weird Ways of Asking

Either I am completely misreading Apple Bloom's tone for the bulk of the story, or it's meant to convey a strange dynamic. I buy DT here, but I'm confused by Apple Bloom... maybe she's more distracted at the start? My critique is not helpful, I'm sure.

untitled

It's a play on PO|NY to BUN|NY, and that's it. The line "why had it been left alone" is slightly ambiguous which book is being referred to -- one can figure it out, but it's easy to mistake at a glance.

Until Then, Do We Part

Trixie being melodramatic and/or dangerously insecure? The emotional scope of her issues are not well contained in this version, so it either wants to be a much longer piece or wants a tighter focus. I question some of the use of ellipsis, and, as Loganberry observed, diction matters. I want to like this one more than I can.

Sorry. I’m not used to writing Applejack much. I happen to be rather bad at it.

"impotent" is supposed to be "important"

:raritydespair: I hate you, spelling. Why is the language I grew up on so different from the definition I want?

I know just the one to finish on:

Bittersweet

No, that's fair criticism. The intention was that Apple Bloom was distracted, yes, but also a bit passive-aggressive before she snaps out of it halfway through and starts being more supportive. Diamond Tiara is kind of showing off, and Apple Bloom later has to squirm around the point that her own family's not as rich as the Rich family.

Trouble is that it would've been easier to convey that from Apple Bloom's POV so we get an insight into her thoughts, whereas I chose Diamond Tiara's for... reasons which currently escape me.

Loganberry
Group Admin

Excellent; thank you! And with the S9 finale coming up, it has interesting wider application, too. One of those prompts which brings a wealth of possibilities, so I'm fascinated to see what people will come up with. :twilightsmile:

(On the note of the approaching finale, I've added one small new rule. It can be summarised as "No spoilers!" It's only there as a precaution, since everyone's been great about this so far.)

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 19