Flashfic 253 members · 77 stories
Comments ( 20 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 20
Loganberry
Group Admin

As I'll be out for most of tomorrow, I'm putting this thread up this evening. We're back to the usual closing date this month!

Here are the full rules.

Remember, there is no prize, as such, for this contest -- but if you win, you will be able to choose the prompt for the next contest. You'll also get a mention on the group's front page, though I'm afraid you don't get to choose its wording. "Won by Loganberry, who is a yoghurt" is not going to fly. Well, unless you are a yoghurt.

Title: "The Most Important Things" (selected by last month's winner, Ceffyl Dwr)
Rating: E or T
Word limit: 150
Closing date: Tuesday 21st August 2018, 11:59 pm UK time (world clock)

Please reply to this post with your entry. This makes it easier for me to keep track. Please do not leave feedback until after the closing date.

Entries are now open! Have fun!

Board and I can't sleep.
So here we go......

---------------------------------------xxxxx----------------------------------------

Fire

Wild eyes leaped from item to item as Rarity rapidly scanned her sewing room.”What is most important? I must have that… and that….”

“Rarity.” A nervous voice calls from the door way.

“Just a moment Sweetie Belle. This is the most important, so is that...and this!” Multiple items flit and dance across the room, sort and re-sort guided by magic.

“Rarity, please!” Sweetie Belle gasps.

“Design portfolios, Gem boxes. With you any minute Sweetie. I need packing cases!”

“Rarity!” The little filly sobs, her voice muffled by a full mouth.

“Sweetie Belle! Please stop pulling my tail, it is most unbecoming.”

A resounding crash booms through the boutique as the front door is bucked in.

“Good Gravy! Will you move!” Apple Jack hollers sinking her teeth into Rarity’s mane and pulling with all her might.

The seamstress screams in anguish managing to save nothing as the flames engulf her home.

I've been thinking of an idea for a story for quite some time now that I really want to get out into the world. Problem is, that it'll take a very long time before I can finish it. (it'll take at least 15 chapters before I can reach the moral of the tale). So I'm going to rework the intended setup for it to make sense.

Consider this a sneak preview for a future project as well as a bit of a spoiler (though I have my doubts that many of you would even care for the things I write about........... I'm getting in character ......sort of).

What is a Unicorn?

The mare stares at the melancholy reflection of the train's window, lost in thought as her friend chatters forth.

"...it'th like a mythtery bag, ya know. Jutht what wath that Ruthtico hiding?"

"Grubber," she stares at the shattered feature of the image's forehead, ".....is there a reason to continue anymore?"

He listens closely to her words.

"A constant reminder that I'm already one hoof in the grave, that disfigurement is nothing but a sign of limitations on how I can't perform the simplest of tasks that others can."

"Well actually, after theeing what other Unicornth can do, I think it'th a thymbol of thtrength."

"....."

"You went with a broken horn through motht of your life and lived fine without it fixed. How many unicornth do you think can live with a broken horn?"

"....." she peered at him, letting the words sink in.

"Now onto another important thing; Bundevara or Makmur?"

Interesting prompt. Will come back later if I think of anything.

OK, here we go. Admittedly, it's just me going back to the Dinky well again, especially the one concerning the Amethyst-Dinky sister dynamic. Still, I've had my own firm ideas about them for a while, so it comes naturally to me. Whether it wins or not, hopefully it's at least a fun read that tackles the prompt reasonably enough.

Deep Dinking

“Is it family?” said Dinky.

“Family is nepotism,” said Amethyst, who knew knee-jerk cynicism went clean over Dinky’s innocent head.

“Friendship?”

“Cronyism. No, I meant–”

Dinky examined dinner suspiciously. “It’s not something stupid like ‘hot sauce’, is it?”

Stupid. Uh oh.

“Er…” said Amethyst.

“You said, ‘Don’t forget the most important thing!’ just now–?”

Amethyst’s mind splashed wildly to meet suddenly deepening expectations. Hastily, she changed the “stupid” answer in her head. Dinky always expected something worldly-wise from Big Sis.

Maybe some old line, like “say please and thank you”?

A masterstroke of inspiration: “It’s… what friendship aspires to be. Sharing fun… Sticking together come rain or shine… Feeling secure together…”

“Like us?”

“…yyyyyeah!

“You mean love?”

Precisely!

A pause.

“You just wanted me to get the hot sauce, didn’t–?”

“Yes,” said Amethyst, defeated.

Dinky giggled. “Okie-dokie. But I love your new answer better.”

Amethyst stuffed her reddening face. Sisters.

"Dumb costume. I knew I should have triple-checked everything..."

"Missing something?" A dark and mysterious stranger held out a broom.

She grabbed it with both hands. "Yes. How did you know? It was the most important—"

*Poof*

She blinked. Had it been too convenient? Her costume was perfect with the broom, though. Maybe too perfect. Somehow the green on her hands didn't seem like makeup. Still, what did it matter? She started to laugh.

"EeHeHeHeHe! I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog Toto, too!"

She jumped on her broom, which sent her soaring upwards, unlike any normal broom. She zipped and dashed and whirled through the air with ease.

A blue figure joined her. "Hey, you're pretty good. Want to race?"

A torrent of water suddenly hit her.

"Thunderlane, next Tuesday is rain! Sorry about that," the figure continued. "Hey! Where'd she go?"

--Sweetie Belle

Loganberry
Group Admin

Thanks to everyone who's entered so far. A little over two days to go if you'd like to join them! :twilightsmile:

Loganberry
Group Admin

And now it's barely 22 hours. Just four entries so far this month -- will anybody else feel inspired?

I keep forgetting about these and then have to put in a last-minute entry! I'll give this a shot. I have about 15 minutes right now, and I won't get another chance before the deadline. Here goes. 150 words.

Sonata Dusk Outsmarts Someone

“Your what?” Adagio Dazzle barked.

“My birthday,” Sonata Dusk replied.

Adagio shooed her off like an insect. “No it isn’t.”

“How do you know?” Sometimes, if Sonata concentrated, she could set up a logic trap. Adagio rarely fell for them.

The more she stammered to find a way out, the bigger Sonata’s smile got. “Fine. It could be today. So what?”

“Don’t I get a birthday wish?”

“If you plan to pull this every week…”

Sonata clasped her hands behind her back. “No,” she mumbled. “I promise. I just really wanted to do this. With you.”

“If it’ll shut you up—”

“Yay!” Sonata hauled her to the couch, started a DVD, and opened a bag of popcorn.

“We’re just supposed to sit here?”

“Mmhmm,” Sonata mumbled through a mouthful of buttery goodness.

Adagio did reach for the bag. And she wore a hint of a smile.

What a perfect birthday!

Loganberry
Group Admin

6526065 6526150 6531432 6547717 6550162 6550505

Time's up, everyone! Thank you to those who entered, and I'll be giving my verdict (because I Am The Law) in a couple of days' time.

For now, though, feedback is open. :twilightsmile:

200 words to 150 is tricky. I didn't even notice until now that one of the lines I cut was the one that established where it started!

Maybe my brain was rebelling from the fact that I was writing a Displaced fanfic, even if it was only 150 words. :unsuresweetie:

--Sweetie Belle

Loganberry
Group Admin

6526065 6526150 6531432 6547717 6550162 6550505

Thank you, everyone! Despite the smallish entry count (partly down to me forgetting to advertise once again!), a nice variety of stories this month. My choice this time is Impossible Numbers, for that winning (in more than one sense!) sisterly dynamic. :twilightsmile:

Congratulations to you! Now, please come up with a prompt for September's contest and post it in this thread.

Feedback is still open for anyone who'd like to chime in. As a reminder, that means anyone (who is a group member). You don't have to have entered the contest yourself.

Loganberry
Group Admin

Thanks! There are well over 100 members here now, and while I don't expect most to want to take part, it'd be great to get up to 10-12 on a regular basis again.

Wonderful news indeed. Fourth time's the charm. :twilightsmile: As for the prompt, how about we take Twilight's element this time and go for...

Birthday Magic

Loganberry
Group Admin

Sounds fine to me! I suppose I have to officially accept the prompt or something, so here goes: I officially accept the prompt. Or something.

Feedback is still open if anyone wishes to offer it.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 20