History Bronies 145 members · 14 stories
Comments ( 19 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 19

This is just a question/discussion that I would like to have for a story idea. Simply what would a fight look like between the forces of Equestria against the Spanish Conquistadors? Now for the sake of discussion that magic be damned; what would a fight look like against the weaponry and tactics of the transitionary period between the High Middle Ages and the Early Modern Period. A time when “pike and shot” have replaced the knight and archer, when quality of armor and weapons had been perfected to their best and the introduction of gunpowder has made the common soldier the most powerful fighter on the battlefield? Would the tactics of the era work, as well as those learned against the Aztec and Inca? I am interested what you guys have to say.

I mean, Equestrians have magic, so...

Depends on what you think the tech level for Equestria is. I'm under the thought that it's everything that we have today.

for the sake of discussion magic be damned

Yeah Equestria's level of technological development tends to be all over the place with a world that has steam locomotives alongside digital technology alongside armor from ancient times; very little consistency overall. The best that I can put together though, in the little the show shows of combat, is that industrial and digital technology are only found in a public capacity yet the military seams stuck in the "dark Ages". Even when genuine threats are shown to attack Equestria in the many alternate futures of Sombra, Chrysalis, and Nightmare Moon, the commonly issued weapon of the common Equestrian soldier seams to be a simple short spear.
I know the last picture is a painting of the Terico's in the Thirty Years War but many Conquistadors fought in the wars in Europe, specifically the Italian (or "Renaissance") Wars before heading to the New World. Plus its the only good picture I could find of some semblance of a pike formation and various armament used at the time without it looking like it was drawn by pencil.

Technology wise Equestria seems to be all over the place, but one advantage they would have over the Conquistadors technologically speaking would be transportation. Equestria has trains, trains which can be used to transport goods and troops much more quickly than the Conquistadors are able to. While we are still on the subject of mobility pegasi can fly which means they can attack from above which no Conquistador is capable of. Conquistadors have guns and cannons while though ponies haven't been shown to have guns do have cannons though I suspect Conquistadors probably have a slight advantage with artillery.

Magic has been brought up but most unicorns are generally implied to know fairly basic abilities such as telekinesis, the Equestrian military however could have special mage battalions brought in for really nasty battles. Put a few of them in the right place, at the right time and the Conquistadors could be in serious trouble. Ponies in general are likely stronger than your average human, especially earth ponies which I could easily see as being used to tank and act as basic front line infantry. The overall advantage goes to Equestria, but one x factor could be the Conquistadors sheer brutality. They are willing to cross far more moral lines to get the job done than most Equestrians are.

Conquistadors would lack main advantages that they had against Aztec. It wasn't guns, horses or advanced metallurgy. It was the fact that Aztec had tons of angry neighboring states. Also I am unsure if the European diseases would even effect ponies since they are different species and also seem to have modern medicine. Call me crazy but I think Aztecs would have defeated first conquistadors if Tlaxcalans didn't ally with them. I mean Spanish were severely outnumbered and would have to resort to plundering to sustain themselves. Sure guns help but bullets and gunpowder do run out.

But we can put all that aside and even make assumption that there would be any hostilities and not ponies just showering new friends with gifts. As strange as it sounds Equestria has some semblance of military, at least in the alternate world where Sombra was an issue. and well Royal Guard armed with actual metal armor and weapons and Wonderbolts as elite air division. And well there is magic even in basic form and superior technology and home field advantage. The only real problem is that Equestria is pacifist and would most likely fall just so mane six could blast Spanish with Rainbow PowersTM

Honestly you are going into a headcanon territory with battle mages. And with earth pony super strength which is just a fanon that people have out of need to balance pony types like it's a game. I mean it doesn't really make sense as unicorn magic and pegasus flight and cloud abilities are both actually aimed at maintenance of nature, brute strength is just unimaginative. And usually it is assumed because most earth ponies we met happen to be hard workers and people assume that they are hard workers because they are strong and not, you know, that they are strong because they worked hard their entire life. Not to mention that there are examples of ludicrous strength for both unicorns and pegasi because ponies are strong as plot demands it or depending what would be funnier in a scene.

Equestria has pretty much the advantage in every category except for battle experience and small fire arms. Other then that"

- magic, which a third of the population can muster
- trains as mobile transport
- a third of the population can fly and thus attack from above
- airships, providing greater attack strength
- they have their own set of cannons so they won't be outdone in artillery
- weather manipulation

While Equestria seems to be more medieval in tactics, they would quickly adapt and use their strengths to basically choke the life out of the enemy forces and cause them to scatter. While the Spaniards have quite a bit of experience, I can't really see them winning any war that goes on for too long. They'd be bogged down, not just by the Equestrians and allies, but by the native areas, but by the weather and bumping into a number of native beasts who could prove to be deadly. It would be attrition over time.

Not really on the battle mages part though. While I don't believe Equestria has many as of now, technically you have ones like Shining Armor who could fit that description as well, in the case of a war, special unicorns could be trained to use more offensive magic then what we've seen or use more offensively spells that we have seen. I mean, they aren't idiots. They could see that having trained unicorns as battle mages would be beneficial to an army.

As for earth pony strength, you sort of hit the nail on the head as to why they would be strong? Why? Well from what we see, earth ponies were primarily laborers. Even back before the unification, they were the ones tilling the fields and doing all the manual labor and that was over a thousand years ago. It stands to reason that, over generations, this labor intensive lifestyle has made the earth ponies 'naturally' stronger then the other races. While this isn't true in modern times, as they aren't restricted to the farms anymore, it's more likely that earth ponies would be the frontliners of an army.

6118515 Given that we haven't really seen very many details of pony wars per se a bit of head cannon territory is necessary. Your average earth pony probably isn't as strong as Applejack, but these are mostly trained soldiers we are talking about who are going to be doing the fighting.

Well Shining armor is captain of the guard with one defensive spell, hardly a battle mage. You could argue that show was extremely unfair regarding his abilities. But yes I can see royal guard unicorn ponies having one magical specialization. Like how once canon stated that cutie marks show how much unicorn can learn regarding magic, so average unicorn is very limited by nature and not by choice. Twilight was rare exception who had talent for magic itself so she got to learn more spells. Well when magic in MLP likes to be consistent which is not often but this was how it was originally far back in season 1 I believe.

Basically I can see application of magic used by soldiers with simple magic bolts or one/two specialized spell. But not to an extent of an actual mage.

And well that wasn't what I was aiming for with earth ponies. I was aiming that Applejack is strong because she spent her life being farmer and not because of magic or genetics. And that most earth ponies that are used as example of strength happen to be laborers. Earth ponies really are not stronger than unicorn or pegasus that are equally physical fit and you can see for example Dash can closely match AJ. Heck Rarity when she wants can show that she is strong by hauling a boulder, kicking manticore or beating other ponies in Sisterhoove's social race.

And then there is this joke

Hence why I said that strength of pony depends of how funny it would be. Alternatively there was that one time when Dash managed to place a boulder in Big Mac's cart and was to heavy for him so he ended up sliding down the hill. There just isn't consistency really.

So yeah earth pony strength is just very unimaginative headcanon. A power that can be matched by unicorn or pegasus. The nature affiliation theories fit much better as those can be used for taking care of nature, which is the purpose of ponies.

And we never will see a real war. Except something like that alternate war with Sombra which was mostly slapstick fighting. And regarding soldiers any of them would be trained to be tough regardless if it was pegasus, earth pony or unicorn in question. Already ranted above so I won't repeat myself in same post.

Also sorry if I am sounding less polite and more ranty than usual. Kinda in a bad mood.

6118696 Cannon wise we probably won't see a major war as awesome as that would be, but as you pointed out yourself the Equestrian Guard probably won't be pushovers. Now that I think about it a war between the Equestrians and Conquistadors probably wouldn't last very long. One of the main reasons why the Conquistadors were able to get as far as they were was because they formed key alliance with rival tribes to take down larger powers like the Aztecs as well as disease wiping out a rather significant chunk of the natives.

Yeah I pointed alliances and diseases in my first post too so I completely agree. Well unless plot convenience kicks in and Twilight and the gang have to save the day by using rainbow powers on Spaniards.

Technically speaking, it's not that a unicorn can't learn other such spells, it's more the case they can be more adept and learn quicker certain types of spells. That isn't to say that they can't learn a manner of other spells as if that was the case, certain kinds of magic would die off for periods of time since there wouldn't be unicorns with cutie marks pertaining to that specific case of magic. That's not all to say that a unicorn can't turn what they know into a form of battle magic.

Take Rarity for example. Aside from clearly being one of the toughest of the bunch and has skills in close quarters combat, her magic allows her to manipulate several objects at once. This would give her the ability to use several spears or other such weapons at once, capable of using them to rain down on enemies, defend herself (if we take in Equestria Girls, she could form shields, but I REALLY hesitate to use anything from that franchise) with reflective shields, and other such instances.

And if you want to be technical, the base definition of a battle mage isn't the variation of spells, is't just a spell caster trained to use their magic offensively in battle.

Onto Earth pony strength. I will agree, nature magic is their go too magical gift and isn't often used by authors. That said, my point still stands. Yes, you have a point. But I can also have a point that the Spaniards couldn't kill anypony since twilight can shrug off an anvil and then a piano dropped onto her head and then have Dash have to go to a hospital for a sprained wing (even though she crashed into a mountain the season prior at a considerable speed and was fine). Pony endurance and survival are basically tied to plot.

The reason why many put strength alongside nature magic as an earth pony trait is as you said. They are the labor class. They produce the labor. They are the ones doing most of the hard and more strength induced tasks. I don't believe this is because of magical means, that goes to their nature magic and herbology. The reason they'd be stronger is because centuries of pressure this labor would do to most of the earth pony biology. As well, unicorns are akin to mages and mages in most media are not a sturdy bunch, which is why you don't see them in the front lines that often in fantasy genres. This is partially done to add balance. Unicorns would also be much more vulnerable since their method of magic usage is tied to one appendage which can be damaged. As well, in mythology they were generally flighty creatures and lithe so they wouldn't be sturdy.

{again, this is speculation as we're trying to formulate a realistic approach to this problem, which is tricky in this sort of show.}

Pegasi, in order to fly, wouldn't be as sturdy as earth ponies for the simple act of flying. Flying creatures aren't sturdy creatures and are much lighter in comparison to ground dwelling species so they would be easier injure. That isn't to say they can't be strong as several species of predatory birds can lift creatures quite heavy compared to themselves, but wouldn't lead to a species that could take head to head charges well.

Aside from that, the nature magic doesn't lend itself to anything in combat terms. Economic terms, sure. Not combat, unless the earth ponies can use it become combative druids. Unicorns wouldn't need strength since they have magic. Pegasi wouldn't need strength, since they command the air and could simply use bows and crossbows to fire down at enemies, not to mention the weather. Earth ponies, in a war like this, would depend on their strength and their numbers since they seem to be a bit more numerous then the other tribes.

Well I was mostly referring to the line from Boast Buster episode

Spike: Twenty-five, Twilight. Twenty-five different kinds of tricks and counting. I thought unicorns were only supposed to have a little magic that matches their special talents!
Twilight Sparkle: True, for ponies whose talents are for things like cooking or singing or math. But what if a unicorn's special talent is magic?

Also didn't Sweetie Belle actually use a shield in Campfire Tales?

But really magic is very inconsistent in this show. And as you have noted all ponies have cartoon endurance.

Also I should point out that plenty of earth ponies actually are not laborers, but people only use laborers as example, mostly because show is set in a small farming community of Ponyville and we often visited other Apple family members in other agricultural communities. Hoity Toity, Photo Finish, Octavia and her orchestra, flower ponies and so on show that not all earth ponies are interested in hard labor and those ponies I doubt are that strong. And funny thing, Royal Guard is mostly full of pegasi and unicorns and all appear to be in top physical condition. But people tend to apply video game logic, balancing and generalization. Like you said magic users must be fragile and non magic users must compensate to be balanced.

Also isn't pegasus flight actually magical in nature. I mean how else would you explain Bulk Biceps being able to fly. And well even regular pegasus shouldn't actually be able to fly if we are being realistic and certainly shouldn't be endurable as Dash is. You can't really compare them to the birds.

And hey why can't ponies just get some guns. I mean cannons are a thing, just load them up with cannon balls instead of party streams. No need to actually charge conquistadors head on. Also did we establish how conquistadors even came? If by ships could then pegasi create bad weather to prevent any more of ships from coming?

You make very good point about that one of the reasons the Spanish were able to defeat the Aztec and Inca through divide and conquer. Both had enemies that the Spanish utilized, buffing their numbers and providing insight on the geography and political situation. No doubt Equestria doesn't lack enemies that the Spanish could approach or could approach the Spanish (Chrysalis for one). The weapons of the time shouldn't be thrown off either; this was the transition period from High Middle Ages to the Early Modern Period, when the weapons of medieval warfare had been perfected through advanced metallurgy and experience and new technology and tactics were changing the power structure of the battlefield. Armour at the time was made from quality steel, making them well durable and tough and melee weapons had been improved upon to be the most effective tools on the battlefield. This is also Spain we are talking about, which is famous for its steel, in both armor and weapons, making higher quality swords, shields, and armor, compared to the rest of Europe.

The introduction of gunpowder through firearms and cannons have also led to changes in tactics and weapons as well. Armour has been cut from its bulky nature to only the vital regions of the body, improving movement and availability to the general soldier. at the same time the same armor has been double in thickness do to guns, going from 1.5mm to 2.5mm, making while covering less of the body but giving the vital areas a lot of protection. The firearms and cannon of the day, despite their infancy, can still prove major threats on the battlefield. The arqubuser, despite its complex reloading system and slow rate of fire, can still deal more damage then a crossbow and has a faster learning curve then a bow. If utilized properly behind defenses, in a ambush, or protected well by melee infantry, they can prove a problem. Cannons, despite their massive weight and lack of accuracy, can still mow down lined troops and knockdown walls.
And yes the Equestrians having magic, weather manipulation, some advanced technology, and so forth would make a fight very difficult, but the Spanish, particularity the Conquistadors, were very clever individuals, utilizing their weapons to the best of their capacity, diplomacy to win allies over, and deceit to lower the guards of their opponents. While the Spanish have all the chances of losing a prolonged fight they still have the chance to rip victory from the mouth of defeat if they are swift, cunning, and smart. Such a scenario would be a test less of brute militarily strength and more of diplomatic tact and tactical wit.

Also yes the environment of Equestria would also be a problem. Soldiers being turned to stone by cockatrices or eaten by hydras, and god help them if they touch poison joke. Though again they can adapt and find ways, especially if they gain allies, in circumventing these issues.

The problem with diplomacy would be that, unlike the Aztecs, the Equestrians aren't surrounded by a bunch of enemy factions that can be talked into fighting for them. In fact, Equestria has strong ties with its neighbors so they wouldn't have just Equestria, but the Yaks, Buffalo, some griffon (those that took after Gilda and Gabby's friendship thing), dragons, and the new changelings. So they'd be fighting a few nations. Wit might save them, but Equestrians aren't idiots. I'd give the first bout of fighting to the Spaniards mostly due to experience and catching Equestria off guard. I really can't see them pushing for a total victory. As well, a protracted war with another nation might interest another European power that wasn't so keen on Spanish power and might side with the Equestrians to gain a new ally.

Yeah you make a good point; that pesky "Friendship is Magic" policy the Equestrians have sure makes finding enemies very difficult. Making allies would be difficult for the Spanish with them few and far between, through not impossible especially if the Spanish could get groups like the Diamond Dogs and "greedy" Griffons on their side. The Spanish had three overall goals: land, gold, and glory. Most Conquistadors were second sons of soldiers and hidalgos (nobles) who seek social mobility in Spanish society. The only way one could do that was gaining a title of hidalgo, but to do that meant either having lots of land, lots of wealth, lots of fame or a combination of the three. In Equestria the gaining land question is out of the picture but wealth and fame are still opportunities. Equestria is a very rich kingdom in the terms of gold, gemstones, etc. which the Conquistadors would pretty much fawn over. They could easily convince the Diamond Dogs and some Griffons to join them if they are promised a share of the loot. Also discovery and encountering a land of magic and wealth would win many Conquistadors titles back in Spain, as well as interest by the Emperor and powerful Spanish nobles who would seek this new land. Instead of a tale of conquest it would be a big raid: The Spanish would come in, get as close as they could to the capital through deceit and diplomacy, they would then grab as much as they could of wealth and evidence of this new land to bring back Spain, then high tail it back to the coast. This would, however, still prove a threat to the Equestrians, as besides stealing their wealth (plus somepony has to carry it so no doubt some ponies would be captured for transport by the Spanish), if such wealth and evidence is discovered it would bring more Conquistadors, maybe even the entire Imperial Army of the Hapsburg Empire (which was under the Spanish kings control). The goal would then be not to drive these invaders away but to make sure they don't leave at all.

Also as for other European powers, the Protestant Reformation was keeping most of the other European nations like England, France, and the Holy Roman Empire from intervening in the Spanish exploration of the New World, which is why they took so long in conducting their own expeditions. Also the Iberian Union between the Portuguese and Spanish thrones would mean that the only people who could exploit Equestria would be the Spanish.

Yeah but regarding the gunpowder and metallurgy Spanish are not in the lead. Ponies drive around in trains and zeppelins (future episode, we have seen only balloons till now) and live in metropolises, they are basically in Victorian age really. And ponies do have cannons, just we have only seen the civilian version, though we will probably see actual gunpoweder in the movie since there are sky pirates and bad guy with an army. Ponies are not like Aztec armed with wooden clubs and obsidian weapons. And well there is also threat from above and I see no way for conquistadors to counter the weather itself. What are they going to do with Cloudsdale? So yeah conquistadors are meeting civilization that is more advanced than theirs, not less. The only real issue is that we can only speculate about pony army capabilities.

Also Griffons live on a neighboring continent and the only society we have seen was Griffonstone which was too poor to seriously consider to going to war. And we really need more episode with diamond dogs. Oh and Chrysalis is an overthrown ruler, the actual hive is now allied with Equestria.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 19