Mainly Furries 54 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10

So, what do you guys think is the definition of being a furry? Is it simply enjoying furry movies, comics, shows etc.? Or is it actually dressing up as your "fursona" that makes you a complete furry? As well we all just discovered the other day, the author of the popular webcomic, "Two Kinds" has just made it clear that he is not in fact a furry. Even though he draws furry artwork and enjoys the community. So, is it just dressing up as a furry that really qualifies? Can you still like the artwork and stories and not consider yourself as a furry? What do you guys think?

The definition used by the International Anthropomorphic Research Project (which I will name-drop to furs at every opportunity because the more people complete their surveys the more accurate their data can be, and also it's a devastatingly difficult and useful service they're providing) is very simple: "If you think you're a furry, you're a furry." They use it entirely as a self-identified thing because the fandom is so diverse that almost any definition more specific than that excludes some part of the fandom.
Even something as simple as 'If you're interested in anthropomorphic animals as an artistic subject matter, you're a furry' might disqualify some part of the fandom. Like, what if someone just likes realistic artwork of plain old animals, rather than human-like animals, and they call themselves furry based on that? It's hard to say that someone with paintings of wildlife all over their house who says 'I'm a furry' is not a furry simply because the animals don't have human facial expressions or opposable thumbs.
I like the IARP working definition, because it's a fandom. And in a fandom, membership and level of involvement is entirely voluntary. So if you choose to call yourself a furry, that is enough to make you a furry in my book. I understand wanting a more objective definition that you can apply to other people (there are so, so many bronies who love cute cartoon ponies and griffons and dragons and made an animal version of themselves to talk to other bronies through and made costumes and go to conventions wearing ears and tails and have their own lingo for sexual acts and have rooms full of stuffed animals and toys and have their own dating websites and have drama in their forums ... then say "I'm not a furry!" Part of me wants to grab them by the shoulders and say 'If it acts like a furry and talks like a furry and dresses like a furry ...'). But, that goes against the nature of a fandom. Membership is voluntary, and no matter what, if they don't call themselves furry, then they're not in the furry fandom.
No matter how many times someone might try to tell them that bronies are a subset of the furry fandom ...

5592504 well ya,
You can love the artwork and yet not be a flurry.
I believe flurries are awesome people with the love of animals. You don't have to actually be half human, half animal. If you believe you are, then you can be. If not, it's your life, be you.

There's truly no right or wrong on how to be a flurry

Ya, I'm trying to be inspired. But I suck. I know. You get the message.

grey mane
Group Admin

5592504 I believe it's more of a mind set than anything else. Like for people who enjoy mlp but don't call themselves bronies.

5592621 a FLURRY you say !?

5617989 you wrote Flurry instead of Furries

21 Spots
Group Admin

5620497 We all have the occasional typo, some worse than others, such as trying to type 'just a sec,' or 'six,' and instead typing you know what. It can happen to anyone, especially smartphone users. I despise typing on a smartphone or any tiny little screen, I'd rather a computer any day, I hardly even use my phone.

5622227 *cough* I use my iPod

But I'm just really bad at English, I can understand it but can't speak it without tripping
As I always tell my friends, "if talking was like walking I'd be Tripping" it took me a month to even say that perfectly
And I can't spell very well and most of the time need a friend/editor to watch my typing/writing.
It not that I'm not America or anything like that, it's just it wasn't my first language as a child.

And yes, I know that I didn't have to write this stupid thing but it just helps me feel better. So nom:twilightsmile:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10