Ferrier Falls 36 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 26 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 26
Penn Hooven
Group Admin

First off, I'm making this a public vote, as it's not exactly what is canon as much as clearing things up for everyone.

Earth Ponies we all know and love can't not exactly be called earth ponies, as that seems like a rip of Hasbro's thing. Pegasi and Unicorns are already a free open thing, so we won't worry about that.

What should be the title of a Pony with no wings, horn, or other special physical properties?

Terra? Ground? Land?

Have a better name? let us know. I'll keep this up for...lets say three days, and then I'll see what is the most popular idea, and we'll go with that. Fair? Let's get started.

They could be called Land Horses.

5507553 What about Terraponies?

Darkscout99
Group Admin

onager terram, latin for earth pony. unoriginal, but it gets the job done while sounding good. maybe.

I like the idea of them being the first to emerge, and thus taking up the name of the Ancients. However, once unicorn and pegasi grew in numbers, they took upon the name of Groundlings thanks to supremacists.

also for a non-racist term a spin off of Gaia would work best imo. Gaialings maybe, although I don't really like how that sounds

Penn Hooven
Group Admin

Here's an idea. What if we took the word Pony out of it. Pony identifies the race. Pegasus is the the subrace of ponies that can fly, Unicorns are the subrace of ponies with magic. Octi could be the subrace of ponies who live under water. What would the name then be for the subrace of ponies who are inherently strong with soft hooves?

It's a new way of thinking about it.

5507553 I vote Land-Pon(y)(ies)

p.s. Let's not forget the

Crystal-Ponies = Gem-Ponies = Diamond-Ponies
http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/crystal?s=t

Penn Hooven
Group Admin

5507797 Eh, sounds like the starcraft Tarrens, don't it?

5507802 What about Laerras?

Penn Hooven
Group Admin

5507807 Laerras? Pronounced Lair-as?

5507814 I have no clue. I tried to combine Land with Terra

Penn Hooven
Group Admin

5507818 :rainbowlaugh: english word for earth with latin word or earth. Well, lets see what others have to say.

5507826 I can try looking up different words too

well I aint got anything else to suggest for name, but I like the whole synergy thing you have between the races, so lemme paint a much more vivid picture

Earth Ponies govern the seedbed of the Earth, living among the dense thickets and treetops of the sprawling woodlands

Pegasi dominate the skies, soaring alongside it's gales and acting as it's authority that presides over the world below

Unicorns speak the language of the universe, weaving it into incantations that allow them to manipulate their vicinity at the cost of draining their mana reserves

Octi hide beneath the ocean's surface, lurking in it's blackest reaches and living amongst the sparse life that thrives deep below

also im still voting for Groundlings

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

also im still voting for Groundlings

Still kinda too close to Hasbro, I think. You see, earth ponies used to be called "Earthlings" back in G1...

--Sweetie Belle

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

I think it might be interesting to have them named based on what type of terrain they come from. For example, hill ponies, valley ponies, mountain ponies, forest ponies, swamp ponies, and river ponies. Each group could be a little different. Our cold ones could be one of those, the river ones are obviously our water ponies, and so on...

--Sweetie Belle

Penn Hooven
Group Admin

5508422 interest idea...

Penn Hooven
Group Admin

So I've been doing a lot thinking, and this is what I'd like to hear your thoughts on. We all agree when we use the term for ponies, we're talking about all the races of pony. The scientific term for pony is Equine (I know there's more to it, but let that set for now).

What if we took a little from that word and an idea I heard earlier in a different thread and call the earth ponies the Eques? Then we'd have Eques (earth), Pegasus (winged), Unicorn (Magic, or one horned), Tentarak (tentacles)

Thoughts?

5508877 So... they well be called Eques-ponies !?
Or jest Eques ?

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Technically, eques means "horseman" or "knight" in Latin. Horse would be equus, though it also includes zebras and donkeys.

--Sweetie Belle

5508422 YA' let's do that !

5508877 Ilike how that sounds

Darkscout99
Group Admin

5508877 I'm good with that.

Penn Hooven
Group Admin

5507780 The vote is over, the earth ponies are called Equus. Yay! Good voting people, good voting!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 26