The Oversaturated World 589 members · 54 stories
Comments ( 24 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 24

Okay, so we've got the Church of the Divine Bacon Horse, which seems to operate under the mandate of melodrama, I've mentioned Vehemists (people who take EVERYTHING Sunset says as law, not just her EweTube stuff and her arrivals), we know there is some debate over what Sunset is, and I like to think that Octarine Relavanism isn't so much a sect as a particular method of invocation through sympathetic coloration (or just trolling).

Anybody else?

5596959 Is "Octarine Relavanism" a typo? Because I can't parse that. I mean, Octarine looks like a reference to Pratchett's colour of magic, but 'Relavanism' - does it have something to do with Lavan, or is that supposed to be "Relevantism"? Even with the latter, I don't quite see what that has to do with invocation? And I'd think that the relevant colours for the Great Bacon-Horse would be ochre and scarlet?

It would be amusing if Sunset had to continuously fight off the impulse to go Great Elder One as a side-effect of becoming a Madokan embodiment of a universal principle. Like, if she's not careful, some of her manifestations could sprout tentacles or otherwise display non-euclidean or eldritch aspects unsettling to her would-be worshipers.

Or maybe the pretense of this might be one of her tactics for discouraging worship.

5596979 I think it's referring to the stories in the flash fiction thread where people chuck oranges at Sunset and shout that they're relevant because of it.

One would assume there's an 'Orthodox' group who worships Shimmer's human form, and believes the gospel is only what Shimmer says it is. (Basically, her initial announcement, her Ewetube videos, and any specific statements she's made and explicitly said should be followed by her faith.)

That would be the Vehemists Masterweaver mentioned.

Thing is, if they truly did take her every word as the gospel truth, they'd have to stop calling her a deity, as she constantly denies being one.

Which would then mean they're worshipping a teenage girl.

Granted, she's got phenomenal cosmic powers (and actually quite a lot of living space), but that still makes it sound creepy.

Actually, no, the Vehemists and Orthodoxes would not be the same group. I even described the differences between them in my post. Do I need to break it down more for you?

I am mildly confused, but I think it has to do with the scope?

FanOfMostEverything
Group Admin

In case it needs to be said, the following suggestions are by no means an exhaustive rundown of all as-yet-unmentioned sects of Shimmerism. That is to say, there can definitely be more than these.

Reconcilism: A sizeable chunk of Sunset's congregation, Reconcilists combine the tenets of Harmonism and Shimmerism into a mostly coherent whole. Since both can largely be summed up as "be a decent person," it's not that hard, though the more insular aspects of Harmonism lead to some awkwardness, especially during swimsuit season.

Heptarchism: This movement doesn't exist... yet. However, should people learn about the Superconsciousness of Harmony, odds are someone's going to want to worship it, and by extension, all seven of its physical incarnations. In the event that it happens, the others should be able to rein in Rainbow Dash's ego before she declares herself Goddess of Awesome, starts dressing in toga and sandals, and/or demands virgin sacrifices.

Seventh-Day Zen Agnosticism: One of the more bizarre post-Saturation theological developments—and that's saying something—the Zen-Ags are an informal collection of people who don't worship so much as they just want someone who will listen. Their prayers are basically marked "To Whom It May Concern," and thus some leak to other people of great power. Mr. Discord coined their name in a fit of pique, and it ended up sticking. Zen-Ags generally don't congregate; their whole reason for prayer usually implies some degree of loneliness. Technically speaking, Sugarcoat qualifies as one.

Sunset automatically does the whole "form you are comfortable with" thing unless she chooses otherwise. (Generally, she goes with a form she's comfortable with. Part of why she still tries to live a normal life is so she doesn't go eldritch.) In theory, this could result in a Mythos enthusiast summoning a bundle of orange tentacles, though they'd probably reshape themselves into something humanoid in short order.

Orthodox Shimmerists believes what Sunset herself designates as church canon. Vehemists believe everything that comes out of her mouth is divine law. This, of course, includes the Mystery of Humility: Everything Sunset says is true, but some things are more true than others. She herself may believe that she is not divine, but her actions prove otherwise.

We haven't even touched on the Yellow-Red doctrinal conflict!

I think you want "exhaustive" rather than "inclusive" in your first paragraph, there. Saying that a list of groups isn't totally inclusive implies either that some groups have been deliberately excluded from the list, or that some of the listed groups exhibit institutional prejudice.

FanOfMostEverything
Group Admin

Very good point. Post has been adjusted accordingly.

There is likely a few semi-Heptarchist faction that goes by semi confused internet rumors of the Humane six defeating Demon Sunset and the Sirens which views Sunsets "mane" six friend as saints or lesser/servant divinities or Angels.

Pretty spot-on in the difference between the Vehemists and Orthodox factions. I'd also imagine that the Vehemists tend to more insist that Sunset Shimmer is the only divine being in existence, as witnessed by the fact that none others have manifested or acted visibly in the world, whereas the Orthodox is a bit more flexible in that perspective (As Sunset's doctrine never states she's the only divine being), and many of them are Reconsilists, or have connection to them and their community.

I'm also mildly curious how other faiths have responded- Such as equivalents Buddist, Hinduist, Taoists and Shintoists.

I'm actually planning on Golden Harvest being a convert to an eastern-ish religion. Former Harmonist, but left for her own reasons. Summer Raindrops will also be an ex-Harmonist.

That's right, the only Harmonist in the Sailor Orbital Crew is DITZY HERSELF! Irony, no?

So any details on how the faith functions and it's response to a new deity showing up?

Ugh I'm sorry masterweaver for the pun/logical concern of Wholesome religion you are about to receive.

So as a offshoot of learning and practicing the doctrine of the Wholesome (i.e. that of finding completeness in each other) they tend to worship on Wednesday? (i.e. Humpday)?

Sorry the joke/pun was there and I just couldn't resist pointing it out

FanOfMostEverything
Group Admin

The tenets of Harmonism revolve around six virtues: Honesty, Kindness, Laughter, Generosity, Loyalty... and Moderation. Any virtue in excess becomes a vice, even Moderation itself. The Tree of Harmony—which is usually presented as an organic tree but often finds itself represented in crystal—is used as a symbol of all six in perfect balance with themselves and their environment. It also makes a convenient thing to swear by/to/at when appropriate. ("Branches, that hurt!")

Predestination is also a major factor in Harmonism. Free will exists, but each person has a destiny they can follow or reject. Icons act as symbols of those destined roles. A person's destiny and the icon symbolizing it are seen as deeply personal, generally to be shared only with family, loved ones, and one's minister.

Reconciling it with Shimmerism isn't that difficult, though the fact that most people now experience cutiesynthesis makes matters more than a little awkward.

THE GREAT RED/YELLOW DOCTRINAL CONFLICT:

Anyone who looks at Sunset's Icon/cutie mark will notice it is a balance between "red" and "yellow." Shimmerists debated the meaning of this, before coming to the conclusion it represented Self and Other. Most sects of Shimmerism interpreted this to mean a balance between caring for one self and caring for one's friends was vital, and that when the two came into conflict it should be resolved on a case by case basis.

However, there was briefly a period where some people tried a more rigid interpretation. The Scarlet Shimmerists believed that if others would drag one down, it was okay to put oneself before them--not to a point of hostility, of course, but to a point of confidence. The Saffron Shimmerists, on the other hand, preached devotion to the community at the cost of even one's own free time. They came into conflict, and would have escalated into outright warfare, if Sunset Shimmer hadn't stepped in and told them both they were being ridiculous.

I wonder if any Harmonists swear by the Tree. You know. "Chlorophyll, this soup is hot!".

FanOfMostEverything
Group Admin

5606202 5604974
Similar, though it's more branches/roots/leaves than specific chemicals or varieties of plant.

(A debate about what kind of tree the Tree of Harmony was stretched on for centuries before it was ultimately decided that all other trees were lesser reflections of its perfection.)

I actually really like the idea of Seventh-Day Zen Agnosticism. Sometimes you just want reassurance that things are going to be okay.

Strictly speaking, going solely on the description provided, you are in fact free to be one.

So the Church of the Divine Bacon Horse are Reconciliations, but with a healthy dose of irony?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 24