Hazardous Writing Materials and Challenges 236 members · 336 stories
Comments ( 13 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 13
HapHazred
Group Admin

History! That thing that happened yesterday. Or maybe that was further back? I'll be honest, I can't remember.

People say the past keeps haunting you, and you can never run away from it. I don't believe in that. It's the present that bugs me. I've never been able to outrun that no matter how hard I tried. But still: history is a pretty important thing for a large number of people, and it can make for a damn good story.

So, here:

History

Post all stories below, whether they're published or just written in the comments, and as usual, no NSFW ('cause that'll just scare the wee kiddies). Have fun!

4758405 I have a history-related 'story' (view password '1'):

Song and Sorcery

It was a really cool premise and I just had to get something out, but didn't have any real story ideas. After a couple days, I unpublished it because it was drivel and I couldn't stand to have it on my page. I'm going to try to make something worthwhile of it, eventually.

HapHazred
Group Admin

4758597 I'll give it a read if I have a minute free. I confess, this is going to be a busy week over in Notts.

4758405 I'll probably have to put something into this, just cause I'm an insatiable history lover, regardless of what canon. :applejackunsure: That, and I've got a ten hour car ride with my mom and siblings to Arizona on Thursday, so...
4758597 I'll give that a read, when I get the chance. Looks fun.

Prompt: History.

Why did I write this? Because HapHazred is also another bae of mine.

History

Few days and counting, Twilight thought as her hooves clicked against the pavement. Her hooves have ached on this journey so far, making pit stops to rest along the way. She had been double dared--no, triple dared to gallop across the entire eastern seaboard of Equestria without any assistance or company. Of course someone had to make sure she wasn't breaking the rules, so her tracker, also known as Rainbow Dash, had flown not too far behind, her wings flapping above the clouds.

After one final hoof clicked on the hot coals of the black lifeless ground, Twilight stopped and panted heavily. Her face was of a hot red blush and her scent reeked of sweat. Her mane was disheveled, her eyes were feigning being open, and her heart felt like it was racing against a clock that she couldn't see with numbers. All she wanted was to finish this dare so she could go home, rest in the comforts of her home, and hopefully never hear of the words "dare" ever again.

Twilight forced her hooves to work again, despite the aching pains that worked against her. They clip, they clopped, and they printed one important feat after another.

"Stop."

The voice behind her flew to her side.

"Twilight."

She didn't listen, her hooves were doing the walking.

"Please..."

Suddenly, her forehooves froze in place. Her eyes glanced at her intruder. She was cyan.

"You did it. See the ocean?"

Eyes glimmering at the sight of the ocean blue, Twilight nodded.

"You did it! You made history, Twilight."

"History for what, Dash? I walked all those miles in this heat just to--"

Cyan hooves clamped purple lips tightly shut while a glare of anger boiled the frustrations inside Rainbow Dash. "You made history, Twilight. Don't you understand/ No pony has ever walked this far in such a short amount of time..." She shook Twilight as she said this, and her glare stood fixed on those purple eyes. "I thought you couldn't do it, so I dared you! And look at you running like it's the Running of the Leaves!"

Eyes widening, Twilight gasped and said, "Did I?"

She looked out at the ocean blue and smiled.

She felt her hooves tremble as Rainbow Dash's wing slowly wrapped around her worn body.

Hooves that quaked are the ones that achieved something great.
Hooves that shook are the ones that crippled under pressure.
Hooves that quaked and shook in the possession of another battled history and wrote it themselves.

Slowly, a pen struck a page.

Dear Princess Celestia,

I wrote history today...

Puked these words out for Hap's enjoyment. Viewer laughter is advised.

4758405 I have had an idea for a story in my head for a while now, but it's more pre-history than actual recorded history. Does that count or is that outside the range of this prompt?

I just had an idea of a history related story....its going to be like ShoddyCast's Elder Scroll's lore series.
A storyteller telling the stories of the old world while Equestria is at the mist of war...Imma write dat.

HapHazred
Group Admin

4761269 History doesn't have to be recorded to be history.

4758405 I think I'm still having a go at taking sad approaches to these prompts...

“Hey, Twilight!” Pinkie appeared at Twilight’s side at the drinks table, her squeaky hip adding its familiar accompaniment. “I see what you’re up to. You’re sticking by the cider all night, aren’t ya? You’re such a smart cookie. I just know Rainbow Dash would be right here with you if she could be. I bet there’ll be cider all the time when I see her again. Are you having a good time?”

Twilight grinned fixedly. “Of course, Pinkie. You always threw--” she hiccupped and flung her hoof over her mouth-- “I mean, throw the best parties.”

“I hope my last party will be the best of all so you have something amazing to remember me by!” Pinkie poured herself another glass of punch. “Won’t you come join us soon? Spike’s showing off his best party moves.”

“Mmm-hmm!” Twilight said brightly. “Of course I will! I just need another drink first.”

“Okie-dokie-lokie. Can’t wait!” Pinkie nuzzled Twilight’s cheek briefly, then turned and squeaked her way towards the rest of the ponies gathered beneath a colourful banner reading, ‘Happy Life Party Pinkie Pie!’

Twilight wasn’t certain her skewed vision was thanks to the cider. The very fact that she didn’t know made her turn back to the table for another drink. The surface was covered in bottles of cider and lemonade and juice, and since it all tasted the same at this point Twilight grabbed the first bottle she recognised. She didn’t bother to pour the contents into her glass. She wasn’t sure she could manage it anyway.

Between the lump in her throat and the spicy taste – maybe she’d picked up a bottle of mulled wine – it was hard to down the contents of the bottle. But she kept going, spurred by the memory of past contests between Applejack and Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash. She’d never been able to keep up in those contests. She’d never minded, really, almost as afraid of what might happen to everypony if they all lost their sensibilities as she had been of forgetting a fun evening spent with her friends so completely that it might as well have never happened.

Now she was more afraid of remembering than of forgetting. She swore that this time she’d keep up with her absent friends, as liquid fire scorched her throat. Tears filled her eyes. She kept swallowing, though it choked her. The tears blurred her vision and spilled onto her burning cheeks, and her stomach roiled.

She dropped the bottle on the table with a crash. Lights glinted off the glass – red glass. Her reflection was a red, teary mess, and blurred spots of orange and blue and pink wobbled like the bottle was a distorted mirror.

“Twilight?” she heard Pinkie say. Twilight turned, knocking over all of the bottles with crashes and splashes as she flared her wings, desperate to escape to fresh air or a tiled bathroom or any cold place where she could be alone.

“Aww, Twilight!” she heard Pinkie giggle. “Are you drinking hot sauce again? That brings back memories! Do you remember the first party I ever threw for you, when you moved to Ponyville? I do!

“You drank hot sauce then too. Of course, you didn’t have as much tolerance then as you do now. Silly me, I just thought you were crying because you were happy.” Pinkie sniffed, wiping away a fond tear. Twilight sniffed too, an ugly, wet sound. “It still makes me really happy that you moved here. And then you ran off—oh, are you doing a recreation? Twilight! Are you okay…?”

Twilight did remember. How could she forget? How would she ever forget?

4762216 Ok, looks like I'll have something for this prompt! I'm just about finished with it, so I think I'll get it in under the deadline. It's something pretty different from what I usually do both in tone and style, but I suppose that's what these Prompts are for anyway, right? Motivating us to break out of our usual writing routines? :coolphoto:

4758405 Welp, here it is: my entry for the "History" prompt.

As I stated earlier, it's more pre-history, but I think the theme of why history is important and the idea of the events of the past, however mundane they are, influence the lives of those who come after. Indeed, things in this story are stark and, for a wild pony, totally ordinary. But it all ties back to the present, just as I believe our own lives will subtly affect those who come after us.

Story's pretty short: 9 pages, around 4k words. Hope y'all like it!

HapHazred
Group Admin

A bit late on this one, it seems. I blame uni work.

Still, great turnout on this one. I liked a lot of these.

Locked! Onto the next.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 13