Noi 86 members · 16 stories
Comments ( 12 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12
hawthornbunny
Group Admin

1. Noi isn't her real name. It originated in a Ponychan thread as an abbreviation of 'No identity'. She's never been named in official sources. People have been calling her "Noi" since at least 2012, however.

2. Noi's first appearance was in the Season 1 episode "Call of the Cutie", where she's one of the nine fillies in Cheerilee's class. In this episode, she's seen at different times with not one, not two, but three different cutie marks (a magnifying glass, a pillow, and a chocolate ice cream).

This raises an immediate question: are these all the same filly? The physical appearance says yes (they all look the same), the context says yes (the attendees of Diamond's Tiara cuteceanara are the foals in her class), but the cutie mark says no (a pony's cutie mark doesn't change except under exceptional circumstances). Given the context, I believe that we are supposed to accept this as the same filly, and disregard the inconsistency in her cutie mark.

3. Noi wears an extravagant old-fashioned noblemare costume on Nightmare Night in "Luna Eclipsed", as opposed to the monstrous get-ups of most of her peers. There could be many reasons for this: a love of costuming, a princess fantasy, or maybe just the desire to look cute.

4. Noi is seen running the race in "Sisterhooves Social" with Golden Harvest ("Carrot Top"), indicating that the two are sisters. Being both earth ponies with similar coat colors and a similar age gap to Sweetie Belle/Rarity or Apple Bloom/Applejack, this is perfectly plausible. Having said that, we cannot completely rely on the race for canon support, as it is presented inconsistently; there are instances of ponies appearing both in the race and in the crowd at the same time, for example.

There is, however, more canon evidence for Noi being Golden Harvest's sister: both of them are present at Diamond Tiara's cuteceanera in "Call of the Cutie", and they're both seen together again in "Pinkie Pride".

5. Noi is a member of the Rainbow Dash fan club (seen in "The Mysterious Mare Do Well"), which seems at odds with the cute persona suggested by her outfit in "Luna Eclipsed". Still, there's nothing to say you can't like fairytale princesses and daredevil stunt flyers, right?

6. Noi's most well-known appearance is during Pinkie Pie's "Smile" song in "A Friend In Deed". She's one of the two fillies that Pinkie cheers up at the start of the song with her acrobatics. The other filly is just as unknown as Noi, and has the fan-name "Bloo". The two fillies appear to be hanging out together in the song, so it's not unreasonable to assume that they're friends.

7. Noi gets her one and only spoken line in "Ponyville Confidential", summarising a article in the Foal Free Press:

NOI: "Snips and Snails and Bubble Gum Fails" - and that's when the biggest jokester in school really stuck his hoof in it... literally!

She's got a distinctive American accent as you can hear in this clip, but I'm not great with accents so I can't be more precise than that. Californian, maybe?

She also shushes Pinkie before the Mayor's speech in "Simple Ways", but Ponyvillians are probably accustomed to doing that.

8. Noi is part of the gaggle of schoolfoals in "Twilight Time". In fact, if you count "Twilight Time!" as a spoken line, then she's arguably had two lines of dialogue.

9. A filly with Noi's appearance can be seen in the Village of Equal Mark Ponies in the Season 5 opener "The Cutie Map". This time, we can be pretty sure that this is not the Ponyville Noi, as there's no way she could be a part of the Equal Mark cult.

As a background character, canon development of Noi is very limited and largely inconsistent. Because of that, I'm also dipping into a fanwork which gave Noi some welcome development and screen time: the short animation Lyra's Gift by Agrol. Any characterization derived from this is unofficial, but could be a good source for anyone who wants to write Noi. From Lyra's Gift, we can derive the following fanon:

- She doesn't yet have her cutie mark.
- Despite this, she appears to be competent enough to gain real employment in spite of her age, and appears to be taking her work seriously. She clearly isn't just a pretty face, but has sharp wits too. We learn later in the animation that Noi is taking these jobs for the same reason as Lyra; she needs money to buy something expensive, in her case a violin.
- The fact that Noi is having to work for extra money implies that she couldn't get it through the usual means (ie. from her family). There could be many reasons for this, but the most likely is probably that her family simply doesn't have much money.
- Noi can pull off the puppy dog eyes trick at will. Weaponized cuteness indeed.
- It's never actually stated that the violin is for Noi (she could be buying it for somepony else), but it's reasonable to assume that it is. Given how heartbroken she was, music probably means a lot to her; she's probably a pretty decent fiddler. Should she ever get her cutie mark, it might end up being a musical one.
- She ends the animation on very good terms with Lyra; it's hard to imagine that the two won't stay good friends after that. Given that both of them (probably) play stringed instruments, they already have a connection there.

If anyone has anything to add to this analysis, comment below!

Elric of Melnipony
Group Admin

If anyone has anything to add to this analysis, comment below!

It would seem she also does some modeling, at least on a small-time, local level.

hawthornbunny
Group Admin

4252272 - ah, I was looking for that, thanks!

You wouldn't think anypony could pull off such a drab hat and saddlebag, but she made it work.

4. Noi is seen running the race in "Sisterhooves Social" with Golden Harvest ("Carrot Top"), indicating that the two are sisters.

Hmm, so Noi is Dinky's aunt? :derpyderp2:

Btw, Noi looks kinda similar to Sunny Daze:

Hmm, I think their manes and tails are identical (except of the colours).

On a side note, I already call Dinky, Pinchy, and Tootsie Flute "Three Recolour Amigos" (and Bloo is fourth). Now I just have to find a third filly similar to them and have another amigos...

hawthornbunny
Group Admin

Btw, Noi looks kinda similar to Sunny Daze

Same design, I believe. Like your Amigos, there's a similar group of several background earth pony fillies with the same design but different color schemes. Of those, only Sunny Daze is named in-show. Two more are named in merchandise.

Yeah. Not to mention best background filly:

hawthornbunny
Group Admin

4254854 - ScootaBLUUUUUUUUUUUUE

1. I've never liked the fan name of "Noi"; it's just excessively at odds with normal pony naming conventions, and looks like nonsense besides. When I depict her, "No Identity/No ID" is at best a nickname her friends use to tease her for, well, having no apparent identity/personality.

On the other hand, years ago I somehow landed on "Odd Job" as a name, and I can't for the life of me figure out where it came from. I thought it was an alternative fandom name, but I can't find a source for it, official or otherwise. I end up using it just out of lazy pragmatism (and because it helped shape her character).

2. I assume she's a blank flank, and hang the animation's inconsistencies. I've toyed with the idea that either her cutie mark would be a carrot-themed one, or she might end up being the tragic case of a pony so good at everything (the "odd job pony" aspect) that she never actually stands out enough to gain one (the "no identity" aspect).

3. I've had it in my head that she resents being stuck on a carrot farm, despite being (of course) good at it, so the princess fantasy is a form of resentful class escapism. Plus most of the fillies I write tend to have a princess obsession anyway.

Makes it even more amusing when she cries because she wants to be a zombie next year. The first time she got to exercise some creative chops, and Nightmare Night is cancelled. Also sighted alongside Alula (astronaut costume) and Piña Colada (ladybug costume), which I happily take as extra evidence of a Sisterhooves clique, since all of them are competitors.

4. I take her sisterly relationship with Golden Harvest at face value, same as all the other racers. With the possibility that Mr Cake (Carrot Cake) is an older brother who left the farm to pursue a baking career.

5. Never really thought about her being there. It's probably a case of the foals liking anyone who serves as a hero, whether nationally as a princess or locally as a friendly neighbourhood Rainbow Dash. Plus, Rainbow's exactly the kind of adventurously blustering show-off who'd impress kids.

6. I assume she gets depressed sometimes, and "Bloo" (who might fit in on the logic that it's a cutesy name similar to Scootaloo and Cheerilee) is just someone who cheers her up (or is supposed to). "Bloo" hardly shows up at all onscreen, so they're probably not all that close.

7. I'm vaguely wondering who the voice actor was for that line. Best guess is Chantal Strand, as it sounds kind of like a modified version of Diamond Tiara's voice through the accent. Either way, I usually just treat it as irrelevant, since consistency in background characters wasn't a priority for the show early on (she has a completely different voice in "Luna Eclipsed").

8. Ha, of course she is. Twilight's a princess now! Plus, what did you expect from a filly who dressed up as a princess on Nightmare Night?

9. Definitely not her.

As for comparisons between my approach and Lyra's Gift, there's overlap on the financial side (a recurring theme in my Golden Harvest writing is that the family have an even worse financial situation than the Apples do, largely by owning a smaller niche farm) and the precocious work angle (I often have Odd Job be forced to skip school to help her sister with farm chores, something she resents because it takes her away from her friends and from Cheerilee).

There the similarities end. I don't give her any special connection to Lyra or to music in general (though Lyra is a friend of Golden Harvest's), and Odd Job's circle usually involves the Derpy family (especially Dinky) and a few foals (such as the other Sisterhooves contestants like Apple Bloom, who's also a fellow farmer). And Odd Job can't pull off any kind of special "puppy dog eyes trick"; she's usually too exhausted, too resentful, or too stolidly unimaginative to try something like that.

Odd Job's body type is similar to quite a few foals, actually: all of them earth fillies. A short list includes:

Candy Caramel Tooth, a member of the Apple clan associated with Apple Flora in "Apple Family Reunion" (they have some sort of secret hoofshake going on when they meet at the beginning).
Lemon Daze, the cap-wearing fangirl of Rainbow Dash from "The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well" who wants to be just like her someday.
Piña Colada, Berry Punch's sister from the Sisterhooves. Also skips rope with Odd Job/Noi and Ruby Pinch in "Lesson Zero".
Sunny Daze, half of Sunny Daze and Peachy Pie, the rollerskating poetry act from "The Show Stoppers".
At least four named background fillies: Apple Mint, Aura, Blue Lily, and Key Lime.
At least two unnamed background fillies.

Source: https://mlp.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_ponies/Foals
Noi's page: https://mlp.fandom.com/wiki/Noi

hawthornbunny
Group Admin

I've never liked the fan name of "Noi".

Me neither to be honest, it doesn't really fit. A filly of such adorableness deserves better :)

Not sure what her real name would be, but Noi would probably be her human name. It seems to be a very rare name in Japan, as rare as Chiyuri...

"Noi" spelled backwards is "Ion"...

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 12