Religious Tolerance 161 members · 13 stories
Comments ( 17 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 17

I came across a new definition of militant atheist:

As we all know, a militant theist is one who kills nonbelievers while a militant atheist is one who has the gaul to express displeasure at being a 2nd-class citizen. We know have a new definition:

A militant atheist is who defends reality:

I pointed out that creationism is incompatible with evidence. That makes me a militant atheist. That puts me in the ranks of Doctor Francis Collins, head of the Human Genome Project who claims to be a Christian. Catholics are all militant atheists.

Doctor Francis Collins is a Catholic and we all know that Catholics are not true Christians. We should listen to Pat Robertson who is an Evangelical Protestant. ¡Wait a minute! Pat Robertson accepts the evidence that the Earth is old and does not believe that the Flintstones is a documentary. ¡Pat Robertson is a militant atheist too!

A militant theist is one killing nonbelievers; while a militant atheist is one complaining about being a 2nd-class citizen or a reality-defender.

Eagle
Group Admin

Ignoring the obvious, was there an actual point to this thread like having a discussion or trying to promote tolerance? This feels more designed as a convoluted 'gotcha' thread with it's point being stringed together through bizarre logic that seems more opinion than anything else.

4616396 On this I absolutely agree with, for that thing makes absolutely no damn sense whatsoever!

What the hell were you thinking?

- Jay Leno

Excluding the misuse of punctuation, so you two have any idea what's he talking about besides that Pat Robertson is really an atheist?

4616447 Oh wow. All I've got to say is...
SHAME ON YOU PAT ROBERTSON!
YOU HAVE USED YOUR HATE SPEECH TO LIE TO US THIS WHOLE TIME!
I'M TELLING MANY OF YOUR OPPONENTS ON YOU!

4616351 I'm confused. What are you even saying? This is rather all over the place and makes no sense overall.

I'm not really sure what to make of this.

As we all know, a militant theist is one who kills nonbelievers while a militant atheist is one who has the gaul to express displeasure at being a 2nd-class citizen.

Are you trying to make theists look bad and start a shitfight? Because your wording indicates just that.

Doctor Francis Collins is a Catholic and we all know that Catholics are not true Christians.

This is the main reason why I don't get along with Christian Fundamentalists. But I doubt you're one, so I'll give you a point for doing a good impression of a Fundamentalist.

We should listen to Pat Robertson who is an Evangelical Protestant. ¡Wait a minute! Pat Robertson accepts the evidence that the Earth is old and does not believe that the Flintstones is a documentary. ¡Pat Robertson is a militant atheist too!

You think all people who disagree with you really are that stupid?

I still see your point with Pat Robinson and Francis Collins: Intellectuals and men of God, they are hated by both sides. Christian Fundamentalists have been known to resort to "no true Scotsman" arguments, refusing to acknowledge Chatholics and people who just believe in an old Earth are Christian, even though they are. I'm a Christian and I'm tired of this, being told I'm not a Christian for those very reasons; they should just drop this strict definition of "Christian". I think that's one of the things you're trying to point out via troll-speech, and I agree with this.

And to the rest of you, it may seem like I'm being mean, but I'm usually not. This happens all the time on FIMFiction. I'm just pointing out the truth to the rest of the people who are going to look at this thread. Walabio's not being serious.

:rainbowlaugh: You put me in stitches. Neither Pat "700 Club" Robertson nor Francis Collins are atheists. Read a dictionary sometime.

God I hope he isn't being serious.

Crosspost with this:

Just poking my head in here briefly because Walabio sent me a link via PM.

If you Google "militant atheist" the top result is this.

I skimmed most of the article, and I'd say that this is a fair definition. It may not be linguistically accurate (no one is suggesting that a militant atheist actually kills theists). But they do seek to kill the theists' beliefs. The term 'militant' is more a reference to the fact that a militant atheist will actively seek out expressions of theism and seek to eradicate it.

Things like trolling some teenage girl's blog post striking up a debate about the validity of her beliefs simply because she blogged about her excitement of visiting the creation museum, and then making a thread in the Science! In Equestria forum inviting everyone there to come and see the poor deranged girl's post. Yeah, I'd call that 'militant'. In an example such as this, a "moderate atheist" would likely just roll their eyes and internally sigh regarding the silly girl's beliefs. Someone who simply has "nonbelief" does not strike up a cause and seek to eradicate the opposing point of view. In this way, the "militant atheist" actually behaves very much like he has a religion.

So, again, this article seems to sum up militant atheism rather well.

Okay, I'm out. That's all I wanted to say. I'm not against atheists as people, btw - I respect your right to unbelief. Cya. o/

The point is that everyone defending reality is a militant atheist to this creationists.

> "Things like trolling some teenage girl's blog post striking up a debate about the validity of her beliefs simply because she blogged about her excitement of visiting the creation museum, and then making a thread in the Science! In Equestria forum inviting everyone there to come and see the poor deranged girl's post. Yeah, I'd call that 'militant'."

I pointed out that the creationists lie. ¿Do you not care about education at all? What if her teachers taught her to handle venomous snakes and drink poison [Mark 16:18], then ¿would you care?

Then by your logic, every scientist and rational person on Earth is a militant atheist.

Another thing, why do you use the upside down punctuation marks? They aren't necessary.

> "Then by your logic, every scientist and rational person on Earth is a militant atheist."

It is not my logic. It is the logic of the creationist.

And it's a fact that creationists are illogical.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 17