The Wonderverse 267 members · 52 stories
Comments ( 27 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 27

Hey there everyone!

This is something that has been on my mind for a very long time. The similarities between characters of PTH, and character's of TV shows or movies that I've seen. But mostly TV shows. I especially wanted to talk about Agent Jethro Gibbs from NCIS, and Silver Lining. Know, take note of this: I only just finished Chapter 41 of PTH. So if I miss anything, let me know. Anyways, let's get on with it.

1- Combat Experiance
Keep in mind, that I haven't seen Silver in action at all. Aside from wrecking Squall at the first combat class, and being a wannabe drill sergeant, I simply haven't gotten to see a lot of Silver. But from what I gather in fan art, apparently he had friends who died in combat. Similar to Gibbs, who witnessed his lieutenant die during the first Gulf War.

Another thing I want to point out in this subject is that both Gibbs and Silver are complete bad asses! While Gibbs was a Marine scout sniper during Operation Desert Storm, Silver was... well, from what I gather he was in combat, and he was a bad ass. I mean he took a direct hit from Squall, nearly sprained Squall's hoof with his forehead, and walked it off like it was no big deal!

A demonstration of Gibb's skills as a sniper.

2- How they interact with their Co-workers
Now, I haven't read far enough into PTH to know exactly what Silver does when one of his wing mates screw up. Though, I have a feeling it's similar to how Gibbs deals with his people

3- Their Loses
From what I can tell, both Gibbs and Silver Lining have lost people in combat. But I doubt (correct me if I'm wrong) that Silver has suffered as much as Gibbs has when it comes to family. While he was away in Iraq, his family was murdered after his wife witnessed another murder. He got his revenge, killing the murderer.

Let me know what you think of this. Do you think one character is better over the other? Or are they evenly matched?

And let me know if you're interested in seeing more threads like this. I have a few more characters in mind that I'd like to share.

5459370 Personallly, Silver reminds me more of Old Benjamin from Animal Farm.

5459392 Never heard of that show/movie.

5459410 It's a book by George Orwell.

5459421 It's an allegory and satire of the Russian Revolution and Stalinist USSR.

Basically, a bunch of animals in a farm in 40s England are tired of being mistreated by the farm owner, so they take it over and start an anti-human political party called "Animalism." A pig named Snowball becomes leader, but he's chased out by another pig named Napoleon, who then takes over and gives the pigs more and more privileges and the other animals less and less. The book ends when the other animals are spying on the pigs playing cards with some humans, and they realize they're unable to tell the difference between them.

5459431 Wow...

I might just have to read that!

5459483 It's a very well-known book. It was published in 1944, I think.

5459494 Cool, that turns to be time period I know a lot about. (you know, cuz of WWII)

yep you have it about %90 right and that is dang close in my book.

Calm Wind
Group Admin

What Blah said, it's a very... frighteningly realistic depiction of formation and degradation of society told in a cruelly fantastical way. Definitely a book an aspiring author should read, but it's not for the faint of heart.

Calm Wind
Group Admin

An interesting comparison, but i just want to disclaimer/clarify that none of the main cast of Wonderbolts with the exception of Air Mach was directly inspired by something else or taken from a character outside of the story, these were all characters i built from the ground up in terms of personality, actions, etc and how they clash with the other characters around them. minus their names since they had already been named by the fandom :eeyup:

5461028 I wouldn't say it's "not for the faint of heart," as there's nothing overly graphic or disturbing about it, but it is very dark and hard-hitting.

5461031 Don't worry, I knew that. These were just thoughts I had as I was reading PTH.

Calm Wind
Group Admin

Dark and hard hitting <--- yes thats a better way of describing it.

Just like another of Orwell's '1984' and another not by him but still heavy Fahrenheit 451. Chilling depictions of things that, in all honesty, are not as far fetched as you'd think. I remember reading all of these books back in middle and high school.

5461143 Actually read F451. Didn't like it.

Just started 1984.

...My English teacher really likes satire.

Calm Wind
Group Admin

yeah mine did too :rainbowlaugh: F451 is definitely more on the odd side, the dystopian elements are downright strange, but it's message on censorship and silencing were pretty intense. 1984 was definitely my favorite of the three, probably the most famous of the three as well. All three of them in general, i didnt think much of them at the time, but now that i'm 20+ years older they really are works of art... and works of warning.

No offense, but could you guys keep the conversation relevant to the character comparison? Not saying you guys can't talk about books, but I'd appreciate it if you two are talking, that the conversation has to do with the original post.

5461386 :rainbowderp: Uh, I'm just saying that I'd appreciate it if you kept the discussion related to the original topic.:twilightoops: Not trying to be mean or anything.

5461457 That doesn't answer the question.

5461461 Uh... I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to say here.

5461472 Why do you care is what I'm asking. It's not like it prevents people from seeing or commenting on the original post, and as long as it's between me and Calm, it doesn't notify you of something you're not interested in.

5461518 Hey, just like you, I'm just asking.

5461560 Alright, that's fair.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 27