Harmonists' Archive 346 members · 1,249 stories
Comments ( 149 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 149

That's right: that contest I've been yammering on about for days now has officially begun. I hope you've all got your writing hats on and are ready to kick some flank.

Now, onto the prompt:

How many of you like things that are boring? Mundane? Simple?

Because this prompt doesn't do that!

Do you like it when the laws of physics are ignored? When Twilight has to delve deep into her library to figure out what the hay is going on? When disbelief isn't so much in the air, but rather replacing oxygen?

This prompt does do that.

The prompt: It's impossible!

Any and all story types are allowed: this includes romance, adventure, slice of life... you name it, I can read it.

Some of you might be looking at that prompt and wondering what the heck I'm on right now, suggesting something that doesn't involve a character, or even a specific story genre. Frankly, I wanted to give you the choice of what you write.

And just to prove that it's far from... well, impossible, to come up with stories for this prompt, here are three ideas you are free to take if you want:

Twilight finally asks Discord how he can summon things out of nowhere... that's against the magical laws on conservation of mass, isn't it? Twilight then learns of a secret room, one that distorts reality: a room filled with Discord's ancient treasures, and more importantly: the solution to disregarding conservation of mass.

Above, Twilight is trying to explain a concept that is impossible: the story would probably be an adventure story. But you can't only write adventure for this prompt;

Rarity, Fluttershy, Twilight, Rainbow and Pinkie swear they've seen Applejack down by the farm whilst visiting Sugarcube corner! But that's impossible, isn't it? After some investigations, they learn that AJ's long lost mother is in town, seeking to reconcile with her daughter. Many d'Awws ensue. Also AppleDash

What's impossible? From the Mane Six's point of view, something that can't be happening: and it isn't, but that doesn't mean it doesn't fit the prompt. And for those of you out there who love comedy:

Orderly Constabulary (nicknamed OC for short) has just contracted Impossibleitis. This tragic disease causes him to disbelieve anything he sees as impossible. Including this prompt. Making breakfast? It can't be done, he says! Read on to find out if he'll ever be cured, yadayadayada...

So you can see that there's more than enough ideas to go around, and the crazier the better. Or not. You want a grounded tale of a character aiming for the stars? I like that too. I picked this prompt because I wanted to see some interesting ideas, and what's more interesting than when you're, quite literally, trying to circumvent the impossible?

But before this gets tl;dr, onto the rules.

All stories have to be written specifically for this prompt: any story that's been published before today won't be taken into account: Forgot to put this in the first time round, but this contest is for new stories only. I'll work on spotlighting old stories another day, I promise.

To submit your story, put it in the submissions folder for this contest: I've marked the submissions folder with the name of the prompt so you can't get confused. You can also post a link on this thread if you want: this will alert me and the other judges when it comes in, and that's no big problem.

Any word count and story type, including incomplete, allowed: Yes, that includes anthro, clop, human, and incomplete stories. That said, I want these stories to have a reason for all that stuff: the clop should be more than just clop, it should be a story, you should have a good reason for using anthros, and if your story is incomplete, well, whilst I'm happy to have it, it will be at a disadvantage.

Each story submitted will get a review by me: I'll have read each of the stories, and I'll have plenty to say. If you don't want your story reviewed, tell me.

The winning story will get spotlighted: I'll edit the userpage to feature, in big bold letters, the winner. If we have enough story entries I'll make a thread for the second and third places, as well as honourable mentions, but we may not have enough entries for that. The winning thread will also have a thread, again by me, explaining why it's awesome, and why it should get views and upvotes.

If you have questions regarding how your story follows the prompt, PM me: if you've thought about it, chances are you're fine anyway, but I'd be happy to shed plenty of light on the matter.

DEADLINE IS THE 28th OF FEBRUARY: When the whole world enters March, the contest is over. That's a whole month: plenty of time in my books.

Multiple submissions allowed: You can submit several things if you want. I don't see the problem there: if you can win first, second, and third, you get a special prize: I will personally sing the Teapot Song and post it on youtube in my deep, suave, british voice. That said, be mindful that quality is always better than quantity: three mediocre stories are worth less than one good one, and I will judge them accordingly. Don't overdo yourselves.

Editors allowed: But HazardPony, I hear you say, even though we're not half as cool and amazing as you, surely getting help on a story is cheating?

Ha! Lol, no. Getting help from judges is cheating. Getting an editor and proofreader is just good practice. Hear that, BFG? No asking for tips over skype!Look at him, all shifty and suspicious...

If some of you are leaning back, daunted by the challenge, fine: contests are like that. Then again, some of you are probably leaning back, with one or two ideas already.

The judges:

Eris, the Celestia of the group, the element of FemDiscordness (according to the userpage)

Hawaii Splash Cooler, the acquaintance of the Celestia of the group, the element of FemDiscordness (according to the userpage) It turns out Hawaii is an admin too! Element of... generosity? I think that was it.

The one, the only, the HazardPony, the element of... uh... I don't really have an element.

So much for that. Nine admins and I'm the one who doesn't get an element?

Screw it. I'll be the element of beer. What, you don't think it's canon enough? Just wait 'till season five, you'll see.

And before you ask: But HazardPony? Isn't it still Saturday? You said Sunday, oh magnanimous one!

It is Sunday... in Nukualofa. When the world, somewhere, enters February, the contest won't end until the world, everywhere, leaves it. And yes, I am so dedicated to my cause, that I included Nukualofa. Would you have included Nukualofa? Damn right I'm magnanimous! I bet most of you never even heard of that place!

Any questions? Anything I forgot to cover? Ask me below.

Take it away, Perry!

Ugh. That was a long explanation, and I forgot to say: Good Luck.

There. I'm done.

I'll enter if I can't help it.
(A.k.a, I want to enter, but shouldn't )

P.S whrn do the fanfics need to be really

4030539 The actual, actual deadline will be at one o'clock, first of march, Greenwich Mean Time. That means that in those parts of the world that are so behind the times (literally), it will be midnight on the eve of the 1st of march. And that's when the contest ends.

This gives you guys as much time as possible, and is fair to everyone.

Okay, that'd be 2 o'clock my time.

4030484 I have an absolutely perfect idea.

4030592 I look forward to reading it.
4030591 If you're in Sweden, (GMT+1) then yes, two o'clock.

Okay. We'll see if I get something together. I got a fanfic due 9th of March

4030646 We'd all love to see what you can write for us, I'm sure!

It's impossible, eh? I've always wanted to write an AppleDash/shot
Seriously though, I have abrilliant idea!

Oh, by the way, not that I am writing a crossover, but would a crossover count for this competition? Are there any special rules?

I liked the idea of unknown parents...

Also, how could you kmow I was swedish? Lucky guess?

4030657 All story types are cool, even crossovers. Same as the anthro, clop, all those things: if it's good, it stands a chance to win. Especially if it's AppleDash

4030659 Because. I can read minds.

Also, your userpage, maybe?

Someone just spoiled the judge. I demand a reroll :moustache:

4030665 Reroll says it's still me. Dungeon Master says I stay.

The dice do not lie!

Thank you for telling me!

I will give you a small hint, in that you inspired me to write this type of story!

4030484 Would an anthology story count for multiple stories, seeing as that's exactly what it is?

4030668 I especially look forward to read it then. You have piqued my curiosity.

4030673 If it's under one story, and just posted as multiple chapters, then it counts as one story. If you write a few one shots that fulfil the prompt, and they're under separate stories, then you can post them individually.

4030682 It's strange, the things I remember sometimes. I have terrible short term memory, but if it gets to my long term memory, it doesn't go away. It's why I'm a terrible grudge-holder.

And I remember investigating you way back during the AppleDash contest. I stalk a fair bit.

Same with me...

You where in that?! Fuck....:twilightblush:

4030744 Yeah! I got an honourable mention. And I read your entry.

I been places.

It was not very good...

4030760 Wouldn't be so hard on yourself. Sure, grammar needed improvement, but the idea was solid, and when you have a language barrier, practice is the only way to improve.

BFG knows what I mean. Say hi, BFG.

It had problems, sure, but that didn't mean it wasn't enjoyable. There are a lot of mean spirited stories that are well written out there, and I'd rather read a poorly structured nice one, myself.

Of course, that doesn't mean you don't need improvement. But that's what practice is for, isn't it?

So...a over complicated time travel story can be "impossible"... Count. Me. In.

4030769 That'd be a 'yes'.

You always call me places :moustache:

4030785 Yes. It's what you get for knowing me. You knew the risks.

Read this conversation.

Summary: It is impossible for Celestia to become a Colossal Titan, yes? In an ostensibly Human!Equestria setting, yes?

As you may have gleaned from my tete-a-tete with Woomod, I do, in fact, have a story to go with it, and it will not be a one-shot gag thing at all. It is actually going to be quite serious.

It is going to be a philosophical treatment, unlike Attack On Titan. Celestia and the other Titans will not communicate with the Ponyville inhabitants. There are no easy, simple answers. Our protagonists do not get to change form. The focus will be, instead, on how people react when it seems as though their Gods are punishing them.

If crossovers aren't allowed, that is okay, too, because I have three unfinished stories and am in grave danger of becoming one of the FimFic people who Don't Finish Anything. I really shouldn't be starting something at this time.

4030818 That entirely depends. It'll be less 'what happens is impossible' and more if it's treated as impossible or not. Effectively, you'd have to make sure that becoming a colossal titan is unrealistic (and I cant believe I'm saying that). However, since most of your efforts should, in that case, be bent towards making Celestia become a titan is possible and believable, that may be very difficult.

In your conversation, you explained that their crowns would act as stoppers, or restraints. Due to this element you've introduced, it's not impossible that Celestia do whatever she does, and gets further away from the prompt, because you'll have worked towards making it believable.

I'd quite like to see the story in question to make a precise judgement on whether it fits or not. That said, you're on a path that could, concievably, work.

On a less contest related note, however...

It is going to be a philosophical treatment, unlike Attack On Titan

Lol, whut? Sure, it's not Socrates, but there's a large philosophical question there about the relationship between predator and prey. The titans could conceivably be representing humanity, and the way they eat humans without actually needing to reminiscent of how we eat meat although we can, with careful diets, survive on plants alone. It puts how humanity fights back in a new perspective, and even in their intro, they refer to themselves as 'wolves': animals that get killed even though they could be left alone by us humans.

It's not at the fore, but AoT has a strong message about survival, and the value of life, human or otherwise.

Bet you didn't expect me to be a philosopher too, huh?

And crossovers are allowed. Frogmyre asked this question a bit further up.

Whatever gave you that idea? I had you pegged as an intellectual type from the get-go. After all, you did mention your academic bent, unless I'm 2high again and have you confused with some OTHER person who is in the process of matriculating a degree, or whatever the precise terminology is.

AOT starts out Philosophical, and then turns into Medieval Giant Robo, which I found annoying. I don't deny that it starts on a highly existential note, but then the creator decided that he wanted to tell a cool sci-fi story instead.

Also, you are at liberty to ignore my mention of their crowns and jewelry corking their godlike powers. That was just me spinning out a response to Woomod addressing Cel and Woona seemingly lacking power. I had no intention of working that into my AOT crossover.

4030863 Heh, true that. I've only seen the first season though, but I've heard about the rest.

I guessed that the crowns weren't going to be in there, but I couldn't be sure. Again, it's more in the treatment more than the hard facts. Take my Applejack's mother is in Ponyville example: Applejack seems to be in two places at once, but the reality is just that her mother is there too and she looks a lot like her.

If you want to send me the story when you've gotten some of it written up, I'd be happy to take a look and give you my verdict.

4030484 What is the word limit? And is the minimum 1000 words or is it higher?

4030875 Minimum is 1000 words, but not because of me. Those are site rules.

Other than that, as long or as short as you want to. Whether it's good or not is a different question, of course, but I trust you guys.

4030880 Can I submit only certain chapters of a multi chapter fic? I'm curious.

4030886 I'd rather you submit the whole thing... not sure why you'd need to submit individual chapters, especially since the story would be written for the contest.

But I'm also willing to discuss this on a case by case basis if the issue arises. Here, now, I don't really know.

4030897 I was just curious.

4030902 It's not a question I was expecting, and due to it being hard for me to answer, I'd say that makes it a good question.

Thanks. Yeah, it beeded improvement, but it once m8rr showed me what I’m good at and not. Romance is not my strong suit.

4031881 Nothing wrong with that. It's very feeling-y. Doing it well kind of means you have to stick to showing emotions cleverly through body language and smart writing a lot more, I've found. I don't think I've got it right even now, and AppleDash is the thing I write the most.

It's not writing feelings I have a problem with, really, that's easy. It's more getting characters to interact in a 'romantic' way.

4033510 Thats part of what I mean. It's a bit difficult to explain, so bear with me: I generally write more or less based on instinct backed up by a big back of tricks I've learned over time.

The way the characters interact kind of has to betray their feelings, so writing feelings (not my strong suit) and interactions are intertwined. You end up describing their feelings using the interactions, because you have to to avoid constantly telling (from the age old show/tell guideline) the reader that they're in love. You're forced to show it, but the only thing you have left to do that is how they interact, and doing it well.

My best example in my library would be 'The Gift Shop', a story I wrote featuring AppleDash. There, I tried to develop Rainbow's feelings and show her blooming romance with Applejack, without describing what she was thinking directly even once or even having her talk with Applejack. That left the little things in dialogue and the situation to give us her thoughts, what she wanted, what she was afraid of. I hope I got it right: AppweDash is adowabwe!

Can we get back to pretending I'm hard as nails and not mushy in the slightest?:twilightblush:

Interesting...

4034433 It's probably just inane rambling. Point is, I don't think romance is easy. Just like everything else, really: and the only cure is practice.

In any case, I love AppleDash to bits, and I wouldn't mind seeing you continue to perfect it. But that's just me.

Anyhow, I think I've deviated enough from my own thread, no less. Well played, Keam.

I love AppleDash as well, and we'll see what I can do. But I'll definatly try, I promise.

Hope you guys are coming up with some cool ideas and having fun! You still have plenty of time, but if you're anything like BFG then you've probably not even started yet (:trollestia:)

Can't wait to read your stuff when it's done.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 149