The Badfic Bin 367 members · 1,021 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9

Edit: in case it wasn't clear, I wanted to discuss the subject of having guidelines.

So, the situation the other day left me thinking about the lack of any guidelines about the inclusion of stories to the to the Badfic Bin, which can lead to some misunderstandings. Therefore, here is a thread to throw ideas about that. What should and shouldn't be on the group's folders, and how to approach a new addition.

To start us off, here are my suggestions:

No more than three fics from the same author, and only if they aren't half or more of their entire body of work.
Honestly, this group has a history of being used as a bullying tool, and having a limit of much it can be used for that is a necessary approach.

New stories must be accompanied with a thread explaining why where they added.
Nothing too difficult. A reasonable three paragraphs to explain why a fic is that bad to be labeled as a badfic. Explain why is it bad and quote comments or reviews if available that support that opinion.

Notify the author of the fic in question, and only add it with their consent.
Just basic decency. One, because it's really an aggressive move to do this without even a warning: And two, because some people just don't like to be labeled with things like this, and we should respect other people's standpoints too.

Overall, be kind and friendly. The idea is to form community, not to split it. And always remember there's a person at the other end of the screen.

There wasn't a situation the other day, you made it one.
Bad fic bin, if a story is shit it belongs.
If all of an authors stories are shit, I guess it just sucks to be them and they just need to not write shit.
This isn't a hug box group.
We don't need their permission to add their stories.
No one in this group messages or even goes out of their way to go on dislike mobs on the stories that get added here.
We aren't breaking a single fimfiction rule.

I can say personally, I just avoid shit that gets added here. Yesterday was the first time I looked at an added story just because you brought attention to it.

Ice Star
Group Contributor

No more than three? Bruh, what about Evictus? Or troll authors who purposely want their catalogue to be added to groups like this?

Having active admins be notified in cases of probable harassment is really all you need. This group doesn’t have that.

Hey, that's a good point i I didn't consider. Hence why it's a proposal. Is not like i have any power over the group, anyways.

Speaking of, do we even have active mods?

Ice Star
Group Contributor

Not to my knowledge.

Yeah, that would be a good starting point.

Elric of Melnipony
Group Admin

Speaking of, do we even have active mods?

The main page of the group says I'm an administrator here, for what it's worth.

Notify the author of the fic in question, and only add it with their consent.

Nope. That's not how any group on this website works. I mean, you can notify them if you're really feeling polite, but if you're planning to wait for permission to add something to a group called "The Badfic Bin", 9 times out of 10 you're never going to get it. If that doesn't work for you, you can just avoid putting stories in this group.

Look, we all know that some writers can be helped, and I'm sure many of us have given them advice. But there are some people who won't take advice and are just determined to keep doing their own thing, no matter how shitty it is. If I really wanted to be cruel to someone, there are probably half a dozen groups I could add a bad story to all in one go. As it is, though, I don't go fishing for badfics these days. They piss me off too much.

Hey, you helped me that time my entire body of work was added to the group. I trust your criteria on this. Look, as I said, this was more of a proposal to talk things. Is not like the forums are that active these days anyways. But I guess I overstepped with it.

Also, yeah, I remember reading some of your reviews. Good stuff.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9