Why? 476 members · 1,771 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9

About 2 or 3 weeks ago, I posted my story to the site. It was rather well received. But, at 5 likes and 2 dislikes, it stopped. I don't think it has got a single view from anyone besides me for about a week. What happened? Is it too trashy to read? Did I mess up? Help, please! :raritydespair:
Link:
The 1,000th Sun

It's a recycled story idea. It's already been told, now you're trying to retell it. It's not necessary.

The long description, which sounds boring, foretells of a boring story.

Those are the two biggest dings.

DH7

There doesn't have to be a reason. It could be that people have no interest in the idea. It could be that nobody has any interest in the description. It could also be nothing. We aren't guaranteed exposure. We're competing with thousands upon thousands of stories—no guarantee that people will necessarily want to read ours.

Did you do anything to market the story? Blog Post? Shameless Self-Promotion Bureau? Did you add the fic to any group folders?

4381252 I did all of those.
4381220 recycled? I haven't seen any other stories like this. I also specified that this is the start of my series, not some random story. My all-OC series spans all the seasons, starting in episode 1, season 1. Ialso posted threads on other groups, asking if anyone had done this type of series, and they claimed that they have not seen any like it.
I don't know. Maybe I just suck.

4381338 people have done all OC stories starting at the series beginning before too.

Takes place during Mlp:Fim episode one

What I'm saying is, the story was already complete without your addition. You're recycling--retelling--the first episode of the series. That can be construed poorly. I'm not saying that I've read it and I am critiquing you on what you did right and wrong, only that that's the impression I get at-a-glance.

You were asking why your story didn't receive much attention. I gave you the two big things that would convince me not to read it. I'm trying to help, not insult. :twilightsmile:

1: No cover image. Without a cover image -- especially for an unknown author -- you lose 90% of your readers right there.
2: It sounds like you're just recycling the first episode of the series, but with your OC's instead of the characters we all already love. This might work, if they were really excellent OC's that one could enjoy reading about... but the description doesn't mention them at all -- the one selling point you might have is completely absent from the description.
3: Grammar problem (unnecessary comma) in the description.
4: Dull description, which is really hurting you because that's the only thing people have to go on. There are lots of very good stories on this site. If you want people to read yours, you have to convince them that your story is the best one they haven't read yet.
5: Unnecessary quotes around chapter title.
6: Now that the story is old and still has very little views/ratings, it suggests to any new potential readers that it's nothing special and not worth reading.
7: Not added to any groups. (With no group additions, and only 13 followers, that means a total of 13 people were notified of the story, plus any who happened to be looking at the 'new stories' box during the hour or two at most your story was there. At that rate, you're lucky to get 52 views.)
8: Incomplete with only one chapter (which is barely over the word count minimum), with a new, unknown, author. People are going to be worried that you'll never finish it if they start reading.
9: Bland title, which would be better if written out as 'thousandth' rather than '1,000th'.
10: Stories (unless they're Past Sins or something) always get most of their views immediately after publishing, then drop off precipitously. You may draw a few more readers in next time you post a chapter update.

With all that against it, you could have the best piece of literature ever written by mankind, and you'd still get no attention for it.

(Heh. I just realized one of my stories is in the 'similar' section of your story page.)

4381355 I see what you mean. I guess I worded the description wrong. My OCs are in Ponyville, dealing with the chaos, not Nightmare Moon. Now that I have said that, could anyone help with rewording it?
Thanks for your input, everybody.

4381187 The story doesn't seem to appeal to most readers on this site. Sorry!:twilightsheepish:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9