The Last Roundup 497 members · 70 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10
Obselescence
Group Admin

Hi guys. In this thread you can suggest stories for next week's post on Sunday 11/16/2014.

For the upcoming post, anything published after November 2 2014 is suggestable.

There are a few suggestion guidelines we'd like y'all to follow, as listed below:

-Suggested stories MUST have been posted within two week of the upcoming post on Sunday. If we’re taking suggestions for a Sunday the 27th Feature Post, you’re free to suggest any story that was published as far back as the 13th. You may not suggest a story that was published on, say, Saturday the 12th for a Sunday the 27th post.

-Suggestions are not guaranteed to be featured. Please don’t expect that they will be, or ask us why a story you suggested didn’t get featured. We’ll put up what we put up—and I mean that in the nicest possible way. We’re not going to be able to please everyone. It’s just not possible for finite beings to accomplish. We simply ask that you don’t put us in the awkward position of attempting to do so anyway by demanding answers from us.

-Suggested stories may not be written by the suggesting user. It’s nice that you think your work’s good, and want to help get it out there—no, really, it is—but this isn’t really the place to promote yourself. There are other groups out there that you can use to promote your stories. In the meantime, focus on writing a story other people would want to suggest here, or suggest another author’s work that you really enjoyed.

Please try not to down on other peoples' suggestions. You're free to discuss what you thought of someone else's suggestion, but remember that the point of this thread is to put forth stuff that you thought was good and interesting. Not to tell people that their suggestions weren't really that good or interesting.

But other than that, if you've found a recently-posted story that you thought was interesting/good/enjoyable, be sure to suggest it here and we'll be sure to check it out!

Just barely, but within the permitted time span:

Up There

I'm biased towards it because I helped edit a little, but HoofBitingActionOverload's "Her Blood Ran In Hollows Of The Floor" is a great moody, world-building darkfic about Twilight bearing the costs of Celestia's magic. The plot is easy to guess once you get the idea, but it's not meant to be twisty, and the premise and atmosphere are solidly executed. Plus I don't think it ever featured.

Bradel's "Co-Incidence" is quite enjoyable, and also represents Bradel's triumphant return to writing, yet also seems not to have featured. However, it's part of his Horizon-esque "read it again" series, like "Transference" and "The Rose", and Bradel's response to the comments says that he's planning to revise it (which I believe hasn't happened yet) and seems to indicate that even he agrees that the unspoken stuff is a little too unspoken, so people might find it a little frustrating.

I also enjoyed SS&E's "Table for One" and Titanium Dragon's "Dawn" recently, but it looks like both of those featured.

I might be a little biased because he's my friend, but MadMaxtheBlack's story, Uncertainty, is, in my opinion, one of his better stories.

FYI, being featured does not disqualify a story from inclusion in The Last Roundup; it is about collecting the best stories on the site (or at least a set of interesting stories on the site) from the last week and showing them off to a wider audience, so it is alright for stories to have been featured - indeed, many of the stories have been. So if you're interested in recommending them, feel free. :twilightsmile:

I'll actually second one of your recommendations at the end of your post (I'd do both, but I may be a little bit biased in the other case :raritywink: ):

Table For One

Minuette sits outside, sipping tea and waiting for something. This is about to become the best day of her life. She knows it, and yet she doesn't.

Table for One is a rather strange story, but I enjoyed it. The story is about time travel, and specifically a time loop set up by Colgate to bring her back in time to herself; she is actually waiting for herself at the table at the start of the story, on the assumption that she will figure out how to time travel and then go back in time to tell herself of her success. Unlike most such stories, there isn't anything really on the line here save Colgate's own success or failure, but it was still interesting to me, and playing around with time travel is always fun.

3789793 Yeah, I just figured I'd signal-boost the less-read stuff a little harder. "Table for One" is rad, though; even though it's as slice-of-life-y as a time travel story gets, it really made me think of all sorts of possibilities -- like, what if Future!Colgate saw Past!Colgate deviate from her memories, or they decided to take advantage of the gem's indestructibility instead of taking advantage of time travel itself?
Thinking about that stuff made me seek out other time-travel stories, which helped me find your story "We Can't Turn Back Time", which made me follow you, which is how I saw "Dawn" in the first place. So that story is responsible for half of my recommendations.
Anyway, "Table for One": Very Yes.

Always fun, how chains of events like that can unfold. Admittedly that sort of thing is how I found a lot of stories that I liked; found a story related to another story, then decided "hey, this author person knows what they're doing, I bet they've written other good things."

So did you give up on doing this, or are you just having a really busy week?

Obselescence
Group Admin

I had a rough pre-Thanksgiving week. Accidentally skipped this week and will try to resume this Sunday. Sorry. :<

S'okay! It happens. Was just wondering.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10